Santa Maria Pit build feedback needed (drawing enclosed)

Will work for bbq

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm about to start a build and was looking for feedback on my design, I'm not trying to reinvent
the wheel here just want to address some issues and add some custom features to accommodate different types of cooking.
After seeing a picture of yelonutz' new pit I've already second guesd myself and will be adding swivel casters opposite the fixed wheels.
thanks for any comments, suggestions.
picture.php

Great set of drawings. Sometimes I wish I still worked at Northrop LOL. You wouldn't have a Materials List also. I really want want of these "Tri Tip" machines.

Very nice. I want to make one too. I was hoping to devise some ay to make each side travel up and down independently. That way one could be kept down for a hot side and the other raised up for a warm side.

Cant wait to see more.

What CAD program did you use. I use Autocad, Bently Microstation and ProE. Can you attach a .dwg, .dgn or PDF file to a post. I really like your design so far and it would be nice not to have to start from scratch for modifications of my own. :thumb:

I really have no ideas to add, but did see some cool features a few months back on a fella from CL selling his grills. I'll bump the thread for you.

It is great to see someone actually undertake to make a set of drawings for one of these grills, I have looked everywhere trying to find some build plans and now you are developing a set, thanks for doing this and sharing. Like one of the other responders I would like to have a build of materials as well as a close up picture and explanation of your hoisting and lowering system with the type of latch system you plan to use. Again, thanks for providing all of this information and keep it coming, we all appreciate it more than you will ever know.

Awesome... send me the drawing when you're done... if that's OK... I would like to get a fabricator here to make one for me.

Cheers!

Bill

That would certainly be OK, pdf attached

What CAD program did you use. I use Autocad, Bently Microstation and ProE. Can you attach a .dwg, .dgn or PDF file to a post. I really like your design so far and it would be nice not to have to start from scratch for modifications of my own. :thumb:

I did it on Autocad 2000 I cant attach the dwg at this time because it's a mess and basically when I get an idea I'll just draw it out so I can visualize it (if that make sense) but here is the pdf.

I really have no ideas to add, but did see some cool features a few months back on a fella from CL selling his grills. I'll bump the thread for you.

Thanks for the bump, I totally love that concept and can see myself building a similar version next.

I wouldn't do swivel casters, unless you get some good locking ones.

Thanks for the feedback, I just priced some 6" swivel casters with locks $94 ea. (ouch) I hate it when I second second guess myself.

Attachments

• santa maria pit Model 04_2011.pdf
    73.3 KB · Views: 597
Very nice. I want to make one too. I was hoping to devise some ay to make each side travel up and down independently. That way one could be kept down for a hot side and the other raised up for a warm side.

Cant wait to see more.

That would be a cool feature, maybe on a wider pit.
Great set of drawings. Sometimes I wish I still worked at Northrop LOL. You wouldn't have a Materials List also. I really want want of these "Tri Tip" machines.

It is great to see someone actually undertake to make a set of drawings for one of these grills, I have looked everywhere trying to find some build plans and now you are developing a set, thanks for doing this and sharing. Like one of the other responders I would like to have a build of materials as well as a close up picture and explanation of your hoisting and lowering system with the type of latch system you plan to use. Again, thanks for providing all of this information and keep it coming, we all appreciate it more than you will ever know.

When I'm finished I will post up a BOM for you guys as well as pics of the build.

Thanks for the feedback, I just priced some 6" swivel casters with locks $94 ea. (ouch) I hate it when I second second guess myself.

Yeah, I would skip them. Before I built my brick pit, I had one like this. I never wished it had casters opposite the wheels, I like it to be solid/steady where I put it.

Excellent. I've thought about drawing some plans up to build my own sometime.
I'd love plans and a BOM when youre finished. Im a welder by trade and now a farmer and rancher. I coukd build the grill and raise the meat to cook on it haha

First off...Go Sharks! I'm in LA.

I use a grill like this for our Farmers Market business. The thing has been in the family for close to 20 years and still going strong. It has has a few patches here and there over the years. Most grills have a expanded metal grate that is ok but I replaced it with 1/4 stainless steel rods. I would also have vents as low as possible to allow air in when the grill is loaded and below the top of the box so the fire dosnt get smothered.

If youre ever in LA look us up!

I've got a couple of Santa Maria grills. One was purchased and one was fabricated. Here of some photos that I hope will assist you in your build. My fabricated grill uses rods instead of expanded metal, but for the backyard, the expanded metal works just fine. I also lined the fabricated one with firebrick. Good luck :thumb:.

Grillpics001.jpg

Grillpics004.jpg

Grillpics005.jpg

Grillpics006.jpg

Grillpics007.jpg

I like the fire brick idea. Seems this would help maintain temps. If I were build a new grill I would allow the grate columns to be removed to install a rotisserie when needed.

I am a bigger fan of the handwheel than the crank for adjusting the grate, just easier than reaching around with a handle. I also like a wider support at the grate, to prevent racking of the grate. The diagonal braces being a little larger does not impinge on access and makes the grate a lot more stable. You do not want a grate that tilts at all, even side to side, the art of Santa Maria is in building a fire that is hot in one area and cooler in the other, than using the grate adjustment to fine tune the heat. Nice work on the drawing.

Some things I have thought about if I ever design another SM grill.

Ash drawer that allows for easier removal of ash at end of cook
Lower operable vents, at fire level, to aid in tuning fire
A lid to allow for covering the grate once I am done cooking
Wheels that pivot up and down to allow easier movement and stable placement
A rack for fire tools, like a small rake or hoe, shovel, wire brush

I've got a couple of Santa Maria grills. One was purchased and one was fabricated. Here of some photos that I hope will assist you in your build. My fabricated grill uses rods instead of expanded metal, but for the backyard, the expanded metal works just fine. I also lined the fabricated one with firebrick. Good luck :thumb:.

Thanks for the pictures, it does help allot. I like the outboard cable setup on the fabricated one and that pulley system must get it up in a hurry. The ratchet and pawl on the fabricated one is what I'm using its a re-purposed truck load binder.
picture.php

I like the fire brick idea. Seems this would help maintain temps. If I were build a new grill I would allow the grate columns to be removed to install a rotisserie when needed.

I actually though about making it collapsible so it would fit in the back of my truck with a camper shell but removable does sound interesting.

I am a bigger fan of the handwheel than the crank for adjusting the grate, just easier than reaching around with a handle. I also like a wider support at the grate, to prevent racking of the grate. The diagonal braces being a little larger does not impinge on access and makes the grate a lot more stable. You do not want a grate that tilts at all, even side to side, the art of Santa Maria is in building a fire that is hot in one area and cooler in the other, than using the grate adjustment to fine tune the heat. Nice work on the drawing.

Some things I have thought about if I ever design another SM grill.

Ash drawer that allows for easier removal of ash at end of cook
Lower operable vents, at fire level, to aid in tuning fire
A lid to allow for covering the grate once I am done cooking
Wheels that pivot up and down to allow easier movement and stable placement
A rack for fire tools, like a small rake or hoe, shovel, wire brush

Thanks I appreciate the suggestions, the hand wheel does look cool too, I was worried about the grate racking so the side braces will be 10 ga. full width I even considered triangulating it below the angles but that would interfere with my carne de espeto (pron to come on its maiden voyage) as far as venting I have two 3/4" NPT flanges below the fire grate on opposing sides, do you think that would be adequate? Ash drawer and cover would certaily be cool as well.

First off...Go Sharks! I'm in LA.

I use a grill like this for our Farmers Market business. The thing has been in the family for close to 20 years and still going strong. It has has a few patches here and there over the years. Most grills have a expanded metal grate that is ok but I replaced it with 1/4 stainless steel rods. I would also have vents as low as possible to allow air in when the grill is loaded and below the top of the box so the fire dosnt get smothered.

If youre ever in LA look us up!

Thanks those shark Kings games are driving me nuts, I have two 3/4" NPT flanges below the fire grate , wonder if thats enough or I may just remake the sides with a sliding damper.

I have a damper on mine, but I have never used it. As long as I am burning logs or lump, I never have a problem with air flow.

Back