MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Discussion and Reflection > Our Fallen Brother

Notices

Our Fallen Brother Brethren. The threads in this forum are in memory of a fallen brother. Please read what has transpired the week of 9/3/06 and say a prayer for KCquer and his family.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #16
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

I gotta say, you guys are awesome. What a fine tribute to Scott. Again I gotta say how humbled and proud I am to be a part of this forum. What a great idea.

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #17
Bob-BQN
Now we're cooking

I saved the pits from the cherries I ate this season, but must admit, it's tough getting anything to grow in my yard. There is only an inch or two of soil on top of a rock shelf, which everything bakes during the summer. I will certainly try to get some of them to grow and if they do, there will be a cherry tree in my front yard.
Bob-BQN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #18
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'll plant one at my house in a few weeks. We are planning a Fall Session and BeerGuy and I will have a small ceremony and take a pic to post. I'll see if I can get a small brass plaque made up in the mean time.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:06 AM   #19
Doorbusters
Full Fledged Farker

There is a nice arboretum just north of Drexel called Powell Gardens. They have events all year, Monarch Butterflies, etc. I would think they would be happy to have a fruit tree there in his honor. I can call, or visit and check it out if you like, 15 minutes from my house.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:12 AM   #20
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

you got point on that dustin.. Go for it.. great idea.. We will cover the cost of the tree.

on our way to services...

a few toasts last night to KC..

me greg, bigdog, hoededo,jeff_in_kc, and jorge are all here.. JT is on his way... We are off for the last goodbye and then heading to blue springs, followed by columbia.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #21
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Update from KCMO Parks Dept

I was finally able, yesterday, to talk to one of the Urban Foresters in the KCMO Parks Department. He has to check in to the formalities, but he didn't seem to think it would be a problem to get a tree planted in a park up there. He said that he though the best way would be to issue a tree planting permit and then let the Brethren take it from there. That way, the City isn't receiving any sort of donation directly, and doesn't have to use manpower to plant it.

He sounded like it might be possible to have a plaque of some sort placed along with the tree. It may, however, create a maintenance issue that they don't want to deal with. It seems to me that a small plaque mounted flush with the ground would be the way to go. It might eventually get overgrown, though. Something to think about.

He's supposed to call me back in the next couple of days with more information. Does anyone in the area have suggestions for locations? I am completely unfamiliar with anything about Kansas City. Also, are there hands available to plant the tree? Does any one know of good nurseries in the area from whom to buy trees?

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #22
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Shohn, thanks so much for following up.

im sure we can get hands to plant..

I will also look into getting a plaque made that can be mounted to the tree... (if i remember correctly they grow from the top, so something placed at 6 foot high will stay there. Keep us posted.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:17 PM   #23
parrothead

I am grabbing an 8-10 foot cherry tree tomorrow to plant at the bash. I just talked to a buddy that works at a shop that can whip out memorial plates in nothing flat. I will follow up with him next week and hopefully get them together in about 2 weeks or so.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #24
butts
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, I never got to meet KC but I thought of him several times this week. One of my current projects is recreating a park and a fountain that was demolished in the early 1900's. With all of the hardscape structure in place we began with the installation of all the "green" structures. The first eight trees planted were 'Akebono' cherries, these are ornamental rather than fruit berring trees but still in the cherry (Prunus) family. When I stepped back and looked at the newly installed trees I thought of KC and all the tributes that were sent with him. Hopefully in some small way this can serve as another, it will for me any way. I thought you guys might enjoy those thoughts, I'll try to post pics in the next couple of weeks. KC lives on in Gaffney, South Carolina.
7' X 14' enclosed trailer
ButtsandBreastts BBQ
Facebook: Butts and Breastts
butts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #25
Arlin_MacRae

Nicely done, Butts. Would love to see the pix.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:09 AM   #26
parrothead

Yes, me too. I plan on posting a picture of the one here as soon as it blooms.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #27
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorbusters View Post
There is a nice arboretum just north of Drexel called Powell Gardens. They have events all year, Monarch Butterflies, etc. I would think they would be happy to have a fruit tree there in his honor. I can call, or visit and check it out if you like, 15 minutes from my house.
I got married in the glass chapel at Powell Gardens. Anyone from the KC area knows it's a beautiful place.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote