MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #46
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

I bought 5 bags. In my novice opinion the bags seemed a little beat up but at half-price it is still a great deal.
Deeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #47
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

i ended up buying 6 bags from the marlboro MA store, they had plenty. i too was going to buy more but in feeling the bags it seemed to be smaller pieces than i am used to getting. however, at $10 per bag a pretty good deal. i have not opened them yet to check sizes. BTW, a full pallet plus available at the marlboro store.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #48
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

I grabbed 10 bags yesterday in Palmer with plenty more on the pallet. I'm usually a Kingsford guy but i've used Wicked Good before with positive results.
Zak is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #49
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Opened a bag today, and did a non-scientific comparison w/ Mali's Gourmet I bought a few days ago.

I dumped each bag onto a piece of plastic, took pics, then gathered the bigger chunks from the pile and put them in a box. I shook the box when finished to settle the chunks, then took a pic. The Mali nearly filled the box while the WG was less than half full.

As everyone has said, there are lots of too-small pieces and dust in the WG. The bags have been handled quite a bit, it seems. Still, for $10, can't go wrong. The Mali's cost only $11 or $12, and probably is the better buy overall. MUCH less dust/tiny pieces in the Mali's as was expected. The product/bags are fresher. Here's some pics:

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #50
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

Wow, you guys rock :) Thanks charrederhead!
Deeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #51
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrederhead View Post
Opened a bag today, and did a non-scientific comparison w/ Mali's Gourmet I bought a few days ago.

I dumped each bag onto a piece of plastic, took pics, then gathered the bigger chunks from the pile and put them in a box. I shook the box when finished to settle the chunks, then took a pic. The Mali nearly filled the box while the WG was less than half full.

As everyone has said, there are lots of too-small pieces and dust in the WG. The bags have been handled quite a bit, it seems. Still, for $10, can't go wrong. The Mali's cost only $11 or $12, and probably is the better buy overall. MUCH less dust/tiny pieces in the Mali's as was expected. The product/bags are fresher. Here's some pics:
This looks similar to what I found. There is a lot of waste. WG usually has only a small amount of bits and pieces and is mostly large chunks.
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #52
gsmith
Full Fledged Farker

just picked up 10 bags from my local OSJL for a little league fundraiser chicken dinner this saturday so hopefully it's good stuff. I did notice that the text was blue on the bags and I thought it was green on the weekend warrior blend I bought in the past. Also the bag is definately paper instead of poly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg osjl.jpg (44.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg charcoal.jpg (58.6 KB, 50 views)
gsmith is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #53
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Anyone else had a chance to open a few bags to see what it is like?

Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #54
Tim Campbell
On the road to being a farker

Just bought two bags

Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #55
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Been using it the last couple of days. It seems to be decent so far. Not as good as the other Wicked Good that I've used, but good enough for $10 a bag.

As far as the writing on the bag, I believe that it's the original style, and the paper bag definitely is. The poly bags left a lot of strands mixed in with the charcoal that wasn't a good thing IMO.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #56
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Been using it the last couple of days. It seems to be decent so far. Not as good as the other Wicked Good that I've used, but good enough for $10 a bag.

As far as the writing on the bag, I believe that it's the original style, and the paper bag definitely is. The poly bags left a lot of strands mixed in with the charcoal that wasn't a good thing IMO.
I never noticed the poly strands in with the charcoal. I am going to go to a place that is a WG retailer and see if they are still selling the poly bags or if they are all paper now. In the past, there were really big chunks in the bag, so big that I had to break many of them to fit in a chimney unless I wanted to just use one piece.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #57
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

A good friend of mine found a piece of WGC in one of his bags a short while back that measured 9 or so inches...cubed. I like bigger pieces, but that's a bit much!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #58
Big Frank
Full Fledged Farker

Picked up 4 bags in Concord NH yesterday. Hope to pick up 4 more in Ossipee tomorrow. Miss not having a truck.
22" weber
Weber Genesis S-330
Camerons Stovetop Smoker
Super-Fast Splash-Proof[COLOR="Red"] RED[/COLOR] Thermapen
[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][B] [I] Imbas Certified MOINK Baller [/B][/I]
[/COLOR][/FONT]
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Big Frank is offline   Reply With Quote