• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked beans

Kevin

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have no idea where I got this recipe, if I did I would give credit. It uses store bought prepared beans rather than dried, so yeh it's lazy. This makes em go wow when they taste them though. I've modded it sometimes with tiny bits of chopped habs and sometimes chipotle's from a can. I've also substituted "El Yucateco" green habanero sauce for the "Texas Pete's" with "warming" results. The different colors of bell peppers are for presentation only, and to tell the truth, once this has been in your smoker for 6 hours, the colors don't realy show up that well anyway. I've also substituted salt pork for the bacon with acceptable results.

Last weekend at a graduation reception I was cooking for, my banker was begging for the recipe. I told him "In good time my man". Same thing he tells me when I'm waiting for his response on a financial question.

Smoked Beans

1 can Bush's "original baked beans" The "big boy" #10 can. About a gallon.
2 large yellow onions; chopped
2/3 cup of your favorite bbq sauce
1 entire green bell pepper - diced
1 entire yellow bell pepper - diced
1 entire red bell pepper - diced
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup "sugar in the raw"
2 tablespoons dry mustard
2 cups pulled pork (save a quart back next time you cook a butt)
The pulled pork is a must include ingredient, don't skip it!
1/4 tspn fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tspn chili powder (I use fresh ground de Arbol)
1/4 lb uncooked bacon slices; cut into pieces
3 tspn texas pete hot sauce

mix in disposable aluminum roasting pan and place in the smoker for about 6 hours.

I found the original and feel I need to give credit where credit is due:
http://www.wbbqa.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-587.html

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
And it is realy better if you place it under a pork butt in the cooker. The juices dripping down into the beans are flavor enhancing. "Pork Fat Rules".

Kevin,
I really like that recipe, and I think I will give it a try. I have always just doctored the canned beans, as they are a hard base to beat!

I made some beans from scratch for the first time this weekend... just soaked northern beans overnight, then added molasses, chicken stock, some of my barbecue sauce, cayenne, a couple of diced onions, and chopped up rib ends meat. They turned out great... Oh, I finished with cinnamon and drambuie, too.

Great timing ..... Bbeans are high on my list .....

..... and really needed a good recipe using cooked beans.
Many thanks, Kevin!

Are 'your' store bought Baked Beans the same as Heinz?

Carbon Toe, I have a close friend who is originally from GB, Heinz Beans and HB are the two foodstuffs from home he still pines for (He's 35 now and came over when he was 16).

We have what we call "pork and beans" which are quite similar but have too much pork flavor according to Shane, other than that, the tomato sauce is quite similar. The "too much pork flavor" is funny to me because it can only come from the small 3/4" square piece of pork fat that's added to each can.
We also have many varieties of baked beans that have lots of sugar, molasses, onion, smoke flavors added.

Shane says he can now occasionally find Heinz beans here, but they're made to meet the demand of Briton's in Canada, and aren't always available.

cmcadams said:
I made some beans from scratch for the first time this weekend... just soaked northern beans overnight, then added molasses, chicken stock, some of my barbecue sauce, cayenne, a couple of diced onions, and chopped up rib ends meat. They turned out great... Oh, I finished with cinnamon and drambuie, too.

Did they cook through on the smoker or did you cook them on direct heat as well? I have done red beans in the smoker and after an overnighter they were inedible and needed several hours on direct flame to finish. They were delicious, I used the rib tip portion off of spares inside for flavor.

kcquer said:
We have what we call "pork and beans" which are quite similar but have too much pork flavor according to Shane, other than that, the tomato sauce is quite similar.

Thanks, I was curious, as the canned beans do not have any 'mouthfeel' left in them after being packed in a sauce, don't they turn to mush after being baked for hours in a BBQ?

I just did beans this past w/e.. was in smoker for 4 hours, which ran at 275, and they turned out great... no real need for direct flame cooking

do you have to stir them occasionally? i would imagine the edges next to the pan getting burnt after 4 hours.....

That recipe sounds tasty to me... I might have to add it to my to do list :)

this is a helluva thread bump......5 years old

The couple times I have done beans I reach in and give them a stir every now and then. I tried not to lift the lid too often or for too long

I'm gonna be slingin' beans as a side for pulled pork at the end of the month for a fundraiser & I think this'll be my base recipe - looks really good.:thumb:

yea i think i bumped this one from the grave...lol i'm thinking of smoking beans under a rack of spare ribs and needed some ideas. thanks!

i did pork sausage doctored beans a few weeks back and cooked them under some ribs done Trig style, the honey, bsugar, and butter with the sauce dripping in made for some amazing beans.

(when i unfoiled the ribs i saved the "juice" and basted that over the ribs as they were firming up and then sauced them.)

Back