MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #151
Fishwater2002
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
Start looking for the Masterbuilt 1050 grill. Bigger version of 560
Waiting until I can see one locally before I pull the trigger.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:50 PM   #152
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrichar View Post
Thanks! Got one:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=280270

Only one cook in, but so far so good. Looking forward to lots of cooking on this one.

You want to really perk up that 560? Connect your Fireboard to it

Old 04-05-2020, 11:11 PM   #153
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

any of yall have issues with the charcoal falling thru the firegrate too soon? - in pic new charcoal is almost falling thru.......seems like even just partially burnt would fall thru into ash pan? Just Curious - anyone add expanded metal?

Old 04-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #154
jlrichar
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
You want to really perk up that 560? Connect your Fireboard to it
I actually got the 1050. So far the front panel, and the app work for controlling things. Though I definitely see your point with Fireboard drive. On that the programs are great, can really emphasize all the key temps in a long cook.

On the Akorn I have used that to sorta skip the boring temps and get right to the key temps and hold. For example get a couple hours of smoke below ~125 is meat temp, then jump to ~150-160 ish meat and render fat for a while, then jump to ~190 ish and hold to breakdown the tough stuff and turn it to gelatin/sugar.

The best ribs I ever made came off my Akorn using that strategy and putting the wood on a separate grate just above the coals after they were lit. Though it takes an awful long time to prep the smoker (and get nice clean smoke) for what turns out to be a pretty small amount of ribs on the Akorn.

If the Masterbuilt app does not add program functionality I will probably go there at some point. For awhile I will stay more manual and try to learn the cooker. First I need to learn how to get a nice clean smoke flavor.

How did you adapt the masterbuilt to the fireboard drive? Did you cut wires, or make an adapter?

Also, when using the fireboard does the fan still cut off if you open a door?

Thanks again for your great review of the MB Gravity--it's going to be fun exploring what this can do.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #155
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I actually got the 1050. So far the front panel, and the app work for controlling things. Though I definitely see your point with Fireboard drive. On that the programs are great, can really emphasize all the key temps in a long cook.

How did you adapt the masterbuilt to the fireboard drive? Did you cut wires, or make an adapter?

Also, when using the fireboard does the fan still cut off if you open a door?

Thanks again for your great review of the MB Gravity--it's going to be fun exploring what this can do.

I connected my Fireboard with a cable I made with a 2.5mm barrel plug on one end, and a JST type connector on the other. That way I can go back to stock as easy as unplugging the patch cable and plugging back in the MB cable.

The Fireboard will sense a temp drop when you open the lid, and will turn off the fan for a period of time that you set on the F/B.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #156
jlrichar
Got Wood.

Quote:
I connected my Fireboard with a cable I made with a 2.5mm barrel plug on one end, and a JST type connector on the other. That way I can go back to stock as easy as unplugging the patch cable and plugging back in the MB cable.

The Fireboard will sense a temp drop when you open the lid, and will turn off the fan for a period of time that you set on the F/B.
Any chance you have a link to those connectors? I checked amazon and a ton of different ones come up. If no link any idea what pitch I need for the jst connector?

Old 04-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #157
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Any chance you have a link to those connectors? I checked amazon and a ton of different ones come up. If no link any idea what pitch I need for the jst connector?

This is what I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 04-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #158
jlrichar
Got Wood.

Quote:
Great! Thanks. May as well order these and the 2.5mm barrel connectors. Just to get ready. I'm wondering if I should make a new harness that utilizes the two charcoal door switches to break fan contact when doors are open? Would probably be pretty easy to make, and non-destructive to the stock harness. If I get the parts, and am still in lockdown it would be a fun project.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:56 PM   #159
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Great! Thanks. May as well order these and the 2.5mm barrel connectors. Just to get ready. I'm wondering if I should make a new harness that utilizes the two charcoal door switches to break fan contact when doors are open? Would probably be pretty easy to make, and non-destructive to the stock harness. If I get the parts, and am still in lockdown it would be a fun project.

I used an automotive fuse to bridge the lid switch at first. Fireboard does away with all those switches as you don't use the Masterbuilt control at all

Old 04-14-2020, 12:10 AM   #160
Parrot037
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : parrot037

https://thebbqhq.com/collections/mas...avityfed-cable

BBQ HQ is selling a cable for $10 that connects the Fireboard to the 560 or 1050. May not be in stock yet though.
Parrot037 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #161
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot037 View Post
https://thebbqhq.com/collections/mas...avityfed-cable

BBQ HQ is selling a cable for $10 that connects the Fireboard to the 560 or 1050. May not be in stock yet though.

For someone that's not inclined to make their own, that's not a bad deal. I made mine for about half that

Old 04-27-2020, 11:57 PM   #162
pgiven
Found some matches.

Have it. Love it.

Last edited by pgiven; 04-28-2020 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: who cares
pgiven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2020, 01:44 AM   #163
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

Picked mine up last week... So far I really like it. Grilled burgers after the burn off
A few observations so far The temp plummets once the unit is off so don't think of carry over heat, there is no thermal mass excluding the cast iron grates. I may be able to to use that to my advantage in time.
Even after seeing a few times to make sure to remove (and replace) the air gates I already forgot once. I want a few remove before flight ribbons
My lump is dusty so I keep the gates in place while loading the hopper that way it doesn't have an easy drift into the cook chamber.
small burning lump drops into lower pan but my understanding is thats normal for gravity feed and you put wood chunks down there for less smoke than chunks in the chute.

Blue tooth and Wifi are disappointing. I heard someone was doing a mod to improve reception but can't find a source. Guessing it just might be longer antenna

Did some reverse seer pork chops tonight.
Breaking down a slap of ribs tomorrow St Louis and some asian spiced sticky tips.

I'd buy it again as it stands. Helps that Fleet Farm gave me a $100 of promo on any $500 purchase. 560 and a bag of Kingsford
#5 Kamado refurbished 'the Copper top'
[COLOR="navy"]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen[/COLOR]
IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS MCBJ & CTC
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2020, 04:10 AM   #164
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

It's not the antenna that's the problem. It's Masterbuilt's lame app and controller software that's the problem

Old 04-29-2020, 06:39 PM   #165
KevinInStL
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
It's not the antenna that's the problem. It's Masterbuilt's lame app and controller software that's the problem
This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2tHdA9cSks comparing the 560 and 1050 says the app works on the 1050. I'm sure it was a software issue that will be corrected in newer production runs.