MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-10-2003, 07:39 AM   #16
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Brian, forgot all about shoving a sausage up into the loin. Gonna do that again this weekend, I hope.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2003, 07:45 AM   #17
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I always forget it to. Think is has something to do with my state of mind at the time.

Old 12-10-2003, 07:55 AM   #18
parrothead

Or stuff it with bacon and scallops, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. (already cooked, but still juicy enough to help out).

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2003, 09:08 AM   #19
stlmike
On the road to being a farker

Bill, (sorry, not Phil)
I'm talking about pork loin, comes in cryovac, about three foot long or so and six inches thick (this should get a rise out of someone). I've always cooked it to about 145-150* and pulled it and let it sit a while for the juices to redistribute before slicing. I'm cooking pork loin for 75 Saturday night. I just want to make sure that if I cook it to 165*, foil to 190*, and let it sit in a cooler for a few hours till serving time, I won't end up with dried out pork.
StL Mike
stlmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2003, 09:36 AM   #20
brdbbq

It can be hard to tell them apart, all that brotherly love and such. Now I'm ducking for cover. :D

Old 12-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #21
Bill-Chicago

It shouldn't be dried out, but I think you'll want to go with your method that you can count on when doing something for 75 people. Then test on your own and see if you like it. (wouldn't want 75 people pissed at you).

David in FL was doing alot of loins for like 200 a month or two back. But I'm not sure if it was oven, smoker, grills, etc. Think he might have tried the higher temps.

Hope this helps.

Sorry Grasshopper, this became the pork loin thread.

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle

Old 12-10-2003, 12:07 PM   #22
stlmike

David in Florida, any input? Did you try the higher temperatures? Back on topic, Grasshopper, what did you end up cooking?
StL Mike

Old 12-11-2003, 01:29 PM   #23
kparrish
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I avoided the chicken and turkey. Its been to soon since T day. Call it a déjà vu thing. I chose the pork butt and brisket. I used 100% pure hickory.

Pulled pork Q and brisket yummy!

[img][/img]
kparrish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2003, 02:31 PM   #24
tommykendall

Nice score on the wood. Looking closely at the first photo, there appears to be the ghost of a Schaffer can on the dash board by the steering wheel.

Old 12-11-2003, 07:02 PM   #25
chad

Quote:
I just want to make sure that if I cook it to 165*, foil to 190*, and let it sit in a cooler for a few hours till serving time, I won't end up with dried out pork.
StL Mike
It won't dry out if you wrap it and spray it :D
I, indeed, did pork loin (yes, the cryovac mods!) and I had to use an oven. I figured 3 servings per pound and bought appropriately. Fortunately I overbought and overprepared and so had leftovers for the chef :D
I cooked them to about 165 and foiled them and continued cooking up to about 200. Then I turned off the ovens and let them cool to about 160 or so. I didn't use apple juice or cider for mop since I was making
gravy to go with some other dishes -- if I was cooking at home or 'quing I would have used apple cider, apple juice, or my usual
pork mop/spray.

Good luck -- for 75 you'll need about 25-30 pounds of pork -- I usually try to overprepare (assuming I even have a decent estimate!) so you
might want to go 30-35 pounds (raw weight - you'll have some shrinkage but pork loins usually hold up pretty well).

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2003, 10:22 PM   #26
Bill-Chicago

Thanks David.

Hopefully just in time for Mike's weekend cook.

35 pounds of pork loin, at 4 pound loins (2 per shelf) Thats 8 loins (couple bigger than 4#'s) would easily fit in the beast. Hell, 2 per shelf, you can get easily 5 shelfs with penty of space.

If you use your beast, I would stagger, and rotate. I have done this before. Shelf 1: l l 2: = etc (hard to draw ) I mean two horizontal, two vertical, then you move the racks around every hour or two. Heat shield if you need to . I am assuming you do, cuz it is farking 16 right now as I type on my Nu Temp digital base that has the remote pout in the yard.

Good Luck, and plaese post your results

The death of "willkat98"

Old 12-12-2003, 07:46 AM   #27
stlmike

Bill, David,
Thanks for confirming my game plan for Saturday. I had already decided to try Bill's recipe. Sam's club has 35 lbs of pork loin set aside for me. I plan on dusting them with either salt, pepper, garlic powder or a light coating of Byron's Butt rub (Chruch Christmas party (ladies present). I'm still thinking about the wood to use. I'm leaning toward a mix of pecan and apple. Cherry? Hickory? Oak? Any thoughts guys? Either way, I will take it up to 165*, spray with apple juice and foil until 190*, and then into a cooler for a few hours. I am making sliced fresh sweet potatoes with a citrus brown sugar/pecan glaze. I plan on making extra citrus glaze, minus the pecans and use it for a sauce on the sliced pork loan. I'm cooking on my Backwoods Smoker, which has six shelves, with the shelves being a little larger than the Bandera's. I plan on spray with apple juice and rotating shelves every two hours. I plan on getting the meat on around 9AM, with dinner at 6:30. The weather is supposed to be in the high teens/low 20s with snow starting at daybreak. 3 to 4 inches forcasted. Does this sound like fun or what? I'm glad the Backwoods is well insulated and comes up to/holds the temperature easily. If anyone sees any holes in my plan, PLEASE let me know.
StL Mike

Old 12-12-2003, 08:08 AM   #28
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Look on the bright side; at least your beer won't get warm.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2003, 08:29 AM   #29
in2que

I'm going for it too. Snow flurries out of the forecast for tomorrow

Brisket, chicken thighs, beef country style ribs and a buttload of baby backs. Then grill some turkey burgers and boneless chicken tits on the Patio charcoal grill. I'm still undecided on the wood...but narrowed it down to pecan, mesquite, hickory, apple or cherry

I'll have a few beers and decide tonight on the wood. Made the fire grate expanded metal mod last night. What a difference in the amount of space for fuel! And no coals falling down off the fire grate to the bottom.

Old 12-15-2003, 07:46 AM   #30
stlmike

Ok guys, If I wore a hat regularly, I would have to take it off to Bill. Saturday I cooked 35 pounds of pork loin per Bill's instructions; rub was just salt and pepper, smoker temperature at 235*, wood was pecan and apple, outside temperature in the high 20s, snowing. The Backwoods came right up to temperature and held without my touching it for over 6 hours. Cooked the loins to 165* (about 6 hours), foiled and let it go until 190*, about another hour and a half. Into a cooler for a few hours. When I opened the cooler to get the meat out to serve, there was about 2 inches of juices in the bottom. I could have taken the knives off of the tables like Bill suggested...you sure didn't need a knife to cut the pork. Bill, thanks for the recipe. I'm glad I threw caution to the wind and used your recipe instead of the one I was familiar with. Serving 75, I did think about it for a while. Thanks again.
StL Mike :P