MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
insurroundsound
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Trying to decide on my pizza stone for a large BGE - 15" or 16"?

Hi Guys:

I've been using the google search built into the forum and have really not come up with any definitive answers. That "naked" site recommends a 16" 5/8" thick stone but commented that 'they heard reports of some saying 16" may be too big' due to gasket flare-up issues, but I can't seem to find any links of people actually having issues with 16" stones and a large BGE.

I have a ceramic company within driving distance and they sell both 15" and 16" round kiln shelves - both 5/8" thick. I figure I can slap on a bigger pizza with one of those as compared to the official BGE 14". I understand there needs to be some of an air gap left around the stone, but even with a 16" stone, i'd have at least an inch gap all the way around the egg.

Any users out there with a 16" stone on a large BGE? Any regrets with using that size? Has it been problematic with your gasket? I've confirmed that none of my gasket sits on the inside of the egg's perimiter. So, I'm a little concerned if there's any factuality [is that a word?] with the concerns of using a 16" stone. Thanks in advance.
insurroundsound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

I was going to go larger, but settled on the 14" BGE stone. I think it is the perfect size, and is very good quality.....I highly recommend it.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
insurroundsound
Knows what a fatty is.

After talking with the kiln shop about using their kiln shelf for a pizza stone, they suggested not to. At least with this shop, their kiln shelves are a little rough. Suggested a smoother, less dusty alternative.

So, I did like you. I picked up a 14" BGE stone. Looking forward to using it soon!!
insurroundsound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

You will be happy with it.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote