PBC temp

When that day happens, that team is more than welcome to come tell me "I told ya so" and I will just laugh and offer them a beer. I dont expect it to be anytime soon BTW! And even if it does, I done had my arse whooped up and down the cookoff scene, wouldnt be any different to me, it happens to everyone. Heck RangerJ smoked us in ribs at a comp once in Columbus,tx of nearly 40 teams and with the very exact same recipe and glaze we took a 1st out of 108. I have always said that a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, and its likely to happen at a comp. Now as far as my fancy pits, I earned those through hard work, trial and error, failed cooks and never asked a single person for help, Because I did the research, I paid for the meat on the failed cooks and at the end of the day, still had a ice cold miller in my hand. I'm not in any manner hating on any newbie for experimenting with a new brand, cook method etc. I will gladly help anyone with any BBQ related problem they are having, I answer a bunch of emails every day. I just have a problem with people endorsing the new kid on the block when it ain't proven itself yet just because they got a freebie

I think you are still stuck on GRILLING, my friend. Since when is a UDS 'fancy?' Real Drum Heads would never say their drum is fancy. Come on, man! :tsk:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141568
Ya don't earn a drum...........ya build it and then prove yer worth on it! That has yet to be proven! Ya shoulda grilled that steak on a cinder block pit, boy! Sorry, just still got your video on my mind.

Bob

My only REAL complaint is that I can't shut it down without some sort of mod. So it just runs till its out of charcoal, not a big deal but I'd like to be able to shut it down quicker.

Im not to big on the PBC scene, but wtf?????? you cant shut it down whenever you want?????

I "shut down" mine tonight with ease. No mods either. Take balls of tin foil ( could even be left over used foil from the cook) and ram it into the intake and rebar holes to block up air flow. Mine went cold within 35 minutes.

i put an old 2" strap across the top of mine.(like a ratchet strap, but no ratchet). When im done, I put the rebar into the barrel and slide the strap up to cover the holes and the bottom vent gets closed with a magnet.

The charcoal basket has a handle, you can also just take out the basket and dump it.

i put an old 2" strap across the top of mine.(like a ratchet strap, but no ratchet). When im done, I put the rebar into the barrel and slide the strap up to cover the holes and the bottom vent gets closed with a magnet.

The charcoal basket has a handle, you can also just take out the basket and dump it.

All good ideas on the PBC shut down. I pondered shut down ideas but instead am experimenting with using way less fuel due to how efficiently it cooks. I've gotten 7-8 hours of solid temp out of 1/2 basket and 12 lit.

What ever happened to just doing the research, seeing how something g operates in real life and if it fits your budget, buy it. This is how I grew up bbqing. Burning down wood to coals in large fire pits, cooking for hundreds of people,

Shucks! I wish I had seen this useful post before I spent $225.00 on my PBC!

It would have made way more sense for me to invest thousands of dollars in time and materials to "burn down wood to coals in large fire pits & cook for hundreds of people" BEFORE I spent my $225.00 and came to the same conclusion when I tried the PBC one time.

I'm actually looking to buy a new toaster oven, I WAS going to look at different models on consumer reports or read reviews on Amazon, but now, I see it would make more sense for me to get a masters degree in electrical engineering and blah, blah, blah, before I spend $60 dollars on a toaster oven that others say is good.

Please don't take this post as a "jab," I am truly impressed that you cooked for a hundred people; can you please post more pics of the people?

I lighted a chimney with kingsford comp. I let about half the briquettes light in the chimney before dumping into the fire box with at least half unlit coals. I've got the lid on and my temp probe leveled out about 360. Did I light too much in the chimney? I'm letting it sit and see if it'll come down before I put my chicken on.

Just got my PBC today :)

7E230F0A-B5CD-4F79-9170-7F0DBBEFAD25-28211-000015A1991CAB27_zps07739113.jpg

Sorry that the thread went the way it did, but that is a whole nother story. How did it end up turning out? We wanna know!

Bob

Flavor was good, just overcooked a slight bit. When I checked with the thermapen at bout hour and a half it was 180 (in the breast), so I pulled. I had several distractions going on though. I'll do a couple more this week when I have a little more time.

Mine ran hot until i put the meat in it and put the lid on it, then it drops down to 280.

Are you starting it by the manufacturer recommendations? I've got one on the way and would like to know if I really need to buy some starter fluid.

Second time I used it I only lit 10-12 briquettes and it worked a lot better. No I didn't use lighter fluid, I used a paper towel with vegetable oil and the chimney upside down. I Let them get good and lit and dumped into the basket and I was off.

Comp briquettes still ran a little hot 325ish but I was using the grid with no rebar so more draft.

Are you starting it by the manufacturer recommendations? I've got one on the way and would like to know if I really need to buy some starter fluid.

I'd use the weber firestarters, or make your own. I make mine because I use soy wax and don't want paraffin wax inside it.

Guy,s quit trying to over think the PBC. Just follow Noah,s instruction untill you cook on this thing for a while. then you can mod or whatever. This thing is the Bomb. Just ordered one for a friend.

Guy,s quit trying to over think the PBC. Just follow Noah,s instruction untill you cook on this thing for a while. then you can mod or whatever. This thing is the Bomb. Just ordered one for a friend.

I never followed the instructions!:twitch::biggrin1::rolleyes:

And have been doing just fine with it mind you..

Back