MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
wmphipps
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Newbie from Toledo, Ohio first Smoke

My next door neighbor got me interested in smoking meat when they did a prime rib recently. I have acumulated some equipment and am ready to try my very first smoke. So far I have a Weber 22.5 Smokey Mountain, a few bags of various flavoring woods (hickory, apple, cherry oak), one of those charcoal chimney lighters, a Maverick wireless remote smoker thermometer, and a book entitled "Smoke and Spice". So what now? Any tips to get an old gas grill jockey started off? We are having some friends over this weekend and I would love to smoke something tasty that I could hit a home run the first time out. Thanks bro's. This is a very cool forum!
wmphipps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

1. Smoke a fattie. 2-3 hrs, make several if you have guests
2. Smoke a pork butt. several hours 8+
These are both easy and very forgiving.
Both would be a good way to learn to manage fire control.
If you have a detailed question, feel free to ask and you will get some quality advice here.
Welcome.
It sounds like you are starting with great equipment, great book just light the match.
Use the search feature below and look up WSM
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
jeffboyette
Full Fledged Farker

Fatty and butts, are good choice to learn on. Get some reading done on here, and dont be afraid to ask questions. Doesnt matter if its been asked 100 times people still give you an answer, not a smart ass response.

But it is still good to spend some time reading and searching for what you want to know.
jeffboyette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
jeffboyette
Full Fledged Farker

couple more post, i believe you get the link for the recipe page
what a wealth of goodness there
jeffboyette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

All good advise, Chicken qtrs. (legs& thighs) are also very easy. Good luck and welcome.

Oh ABT's, that is an easy thing that will wow your guests. Japalenos cored and stuffed with any type of cheese mixture you like, wrapped in bacon and in the smoker for a few hours or more. You can't hut them, I think!

Check this out. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=83430

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Willie's BBQ
Banned

i say a couple of butts, 32 beers later and you still cant screw them up
Willie's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

First thing I did on my WSM was a 7lb butt. Read around on various trimming techniques and find a good basic rub. You have to try really hard to screw it up too badly.
bmanMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I say you start off with the idea of a main meal of pulled pork, it is the most forgiving cut, use somethings like MOINK balls (bacon wrapped pre-made meatballs), ABT's (stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon) or fatties (sausage chub straight from the wrapper and onto the smoker) to use as appetizers.

Allow enough time to get the butt done, a bone-in butt will take 10 to 12 hours done at 225F to 250F. Do not rush it! I would use just a few chunks of apple, about two chunks the size of your fist maybe three would do it. And one of the things beginners do not know, allow the fire to settle in and start giving a light blue smoke and not billowing white smoke.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
mylonite91
Got rid of the matchlight.

I think everybody is giving you great advice. The only other thing to add is to go over to the "virtual weber bullet" website for step by step instructions on how to use that smoker. Great site dedicated to the WSM.
mylonite91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
landarc

Or you could just ask here and get the same advice, we got some very good smokers here who use WSM's to great effect.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 04-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #11
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Good luck with what ever you choose...Welcome to the forum!

firecrackerjack
firecracker jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
Duster72
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Make pulled pork with Boston Butt. Try to get a nice bone in cut that hasn't been injected with "moisturizer".

Start your WSM using the minion method as described on the virtual weber bullet.

Close up the smoker and leave bottom vents open - watch your lid temperature. When lid temp hits 225 close the bottom vents 75%. It should stay there or close to there. Use the bottom vents to control heat.

The first time out the thing is going to run hot, so be extra careful.

When the meat hits 195 (not before!) - take the meat off and pull apart.
Duster72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #13
burnedpig
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
And one of the things beginners do not know, allow the fire to settle in and start giving a light blue smoke and not billowing white smoke.
This advice is worth repeating.
Probably one of the most important pieces of advice for a novice: you don't smoke meats with a lot of smoke! Always remember that billowing smoke is "dirt in the air".
burnedpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
McGurk
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster72 View Post
...When the meat hits 195 (not before!) - take the meat off and pull apart.
Is a rest period a good thing to do with a butt? From what I've read an hour or so in tin foil is never a bad idea after your temp is reached. Closed tightly for more cooking and juice redistributution, or closed with a few holes on top for just the juice.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #15
landarc

I believe in letting the meat rest under a foil tent for an hour if possible, at least 30 minutes. If I have to go more than an hour, I wrap in heavy duty foil and towel in a cooler. Ideally, rest for 1 hour under a foil tent.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks from:--->