MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #9811
cwa7110
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default More Big Daddy

more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_2.jpg (50.1 KB, 876 views)
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_4.jpg (53.2 KB, 873 views)
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_5[1].jpg (49.2 KB, 875 views)
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_6[1].jpg (43.1 KB, 879 views)
cwa7110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #9812
keepQn
Found some matches.

I finally found a Weber 22.5 " grill in Thunder Bay last week and today I made my first BBQ (I built my UDS 2 years go).
I did a bacon wrapped fattie ....was ever so pleased with the results.
Thanks to everyone on this forum
keepQn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #9813
keepQn
Found some matches.

My UDS is just the basic model....with just a few changes;
I made my brickette basket 15 1/2 inches wide by 12 1/2 tall out of expanded steel mesh (still normal) but the bottom of the basket is a circular piece of steel mesh welded 2 1/2" up from the bottom edge of the basket.(instead of using bolts for legs). Now if I wish I can flip the basket over and have 10 inch legs with a brickette basket 2 1/2 inches high .
I bolted 3 metal shelf standards equidistant and vertical inside the drum. So by placing the shelf brackets at varying heights around the inside of the drum I can move my fire basket up when needed or by flipping the basket over and raising it to the top I can use the UDS to grill/fry hamburgers(or whatever.)
This makes the UDS much more versatile IMO .
P.S. yesterdays maiden run with the fattie was from 2.00 pm to 5:45 with the temp. holding steady @ 250F (except when I nervously removed the lid every 45 minutes to check on the progress) .The fattie was removed when the internal temp. reached 160F .Got raves from the missus, daughter and SIL .(Daughter wants her hubbie to build one now...hee heee )

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #9814
keepQn
Found some matches.

Briquette ! Briquette ! Now repeat 100 times Keep....
Today I am doing a rack of pork spare ribs using the 3-2-1 method ....the missus usually does the BBQ'n but she's tickled with my progress sofar

Old 08-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #9815
MDRex
Knows what a fatty is.

Has anyone tried using the propane start from a Weber Performer on their UDS? I am getting a stainless blue Performer from my sister. My plan was to remove the kettle and mount the drum in its place. Then I came up with the idea of using the propane start in the drum.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #9816
Tulse
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRex View Post
Has anyone tried using the propane start from a Weber Performer on their UDS? I am getting a stainless blue Performer from my sister. My plan was to remove the kettle and mount the drum in its place. Then I came up with the idea of using the propane start in the drum.
I went through the thought process of adding a propane burner in the bottom early on as I started my planning. I quickly ditched the idea for the sake of simplicity, and now, with hindsight, can't see the advantage.

Also, a lot of people here light the fire by adding a small amount of coals to the top of the basket. I do the same --- add about 1/4-1/3 chimney to a little depression in the coals I make in a mostly full basket. That's it. All done.

I get 14++ hours of cooking @ a solid 250° this way, with the coals burning their way down. It's quite possible using gas to start would get you good results. I couldn't say for sure. But I'm in the KISS camp for a first UDS now. I'm a tinkerer, too, and it was hard not to put my own spin on things. Suppressing that tweeking urge isn't easy.
Tulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #9817
MDRex
Knows what a fatty is.

I figured I might give it a try since I will have the parts from the Performer anyway. I'll use one of the intake holes to try it, that way if I don't like it or it doesn't worl well I haven't cut any extra holes.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #9818
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Weed burning is a pretty quick start as well. It is a bit harder to hit the right balance with (in theory) than xx lighted bricketts, but I cheat with a guru.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #9819
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

To those that have a weber lid they use sometimes, does the UDS behave differently with the weber lid ?? IE run hotter with a given number of intakes open ?

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #9820
madole
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Holy cow. This thread actually has an end. I've spent the better part of two weeks reading this thing. What am I going to do with all my free time now? I guess I actually need to build one of these things.
madole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #9821
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post
To those that have a weber lid they use sometimes, does the UDS behave differently with the weber lid ?? IE run hotter with a given number of intakes open ?

Bill
Mine cooks at the exact temp I set I at, and I mean right on the money
Both levels
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #9822
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
Mine cooks at the exact temp I set I at, and I mean right on the money
Well what I'm getting at is..............if you were running manual natural draft, and set the UDS all up to run 225, then switched from a flat to the weber lid, would the temp change ?

I put a uniflame lid on mine briefly and the temp went from 225 with the controller to around 300, and did not drop, put the flat lid back on, and the controller could again easily keep it at 225. Now the uniflame lid did not seal up as nicely as it should...some smoke was leaking around the rim of the drum. I have ( 1/2" holes in the flat lid, and the uniflame lid I had the vent wide open.

Still looking for a weber lid which will fit better, the Uniflame is 22" not 22-1/2. But if they in general run hotter, well maybe I will not look as hard :-).

Bill

Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #9823
fastfleetline
Found some matches.

Default done

I have read...and read....read....all 655 pages...and i think i can build a UDS......thanks to all the brothers..last weekend i got a weber grill for $25 from craigslist.....now all i need is a drum.....i'm think a closed end drum.....pray for me .....
fastfleetline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #9824
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post
Well what I'm getting at is..............if you were running manual natural draft, and set the UDS all up to run 225, then switched from a flat to the weber lid, would the temp change ?

I put a uniflame lid on mine briefly and the temp went from 225 with the controller to around 300, and did not drop
I had the same problem with the Uniflame lid. The Weber performs MUCH better. I have found the WalMart and Lowe's lids to be terrible. The Home Depot and Sears/KMart lids are pretty good, especially with a gasket. You can get gasket material at www.bbqgaskets.com
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #9825
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Worth View Post
I had the same problem with the Uniflame lid. The Weber performs MUCH better. I have found the WalMart and Lowe's lids to be terrible. The Home Depot and Sears/KMart lids are pretty good, especially with a gasket. You can get gasket material at www.bbqgaskets.com
So Weber lid bought at Walmart/Lowes is different than one bought at Sears/Home Despot ??

Bill

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker