Thawley

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I've been thinking about building a stick burner since leaving Texas a few days ago. The Brisket from Lockhart is the new target I'm aiming for. Since all the pits I saw in Texas (and here) use indirect heat, I'm going to assume there are limits to how close one can get with a direct heat smoker like the UDS.

The Ugly Drum Smoker thread is losing some of its original focus. The term "UDS" is a fun & functional parody on Rocky Richmond's BDS smokers which were the first to use the viral nature of the internet to catch on. Our thread has done a great job educating the masses (Your's T. among them) about the concept and the DYI versions. But it's getting diluted. Anything with a drum now winds up in an already lengthy thread that is nearly unsearchable.

Seems like the time has come for a design resource thread on home-built Horizontal & Offset Drum Smokers. Those of us with a fondness for economical pit building have other options besides the UDS concept. Hopefully this will help keep non-UDS designs out of the original UDS thread and also make it easier to find info on DYI drum-based offsets & horizontals.

Here's what I've found so far (with thread's linked whenever possible)...

The Texas Hibachi
CIMG0429.jpg

Phubar's upscale Netherlands version
attachment.php

attachment.php

Big Baby Double-Barreled Cooker
bigbaby.gif

Matt Wagner's double barrel build photos
2571425927_23bb836fc0.jpg

Triple Drum Smoker
Smoker_1.jpg

BBQBlitz's hammerhead smoker
picture163small1dl.jpg

Big Papa's hammerhead grill
IMG_0010.jpg

Shopping cart drum grill
homemadegrillonshoppingcart-vi.jpg

Please add yours or any good idea's you find...

There have been many a great brisket cooked on a 55 gallon offset pit. It's cheap and functional. I agree about having a "build section" that has been sorted out.

Here in SA they make the 55 gal drum offset with a firebob made from 1/2 of a second drum like a standard pit.

Thanks for splicing those topics up Thawley.
I'll post the pics of my drums seperated.
Don't wanna cause too much confusion on the UDS thread.

Found some interesting ideas about baffles that might be used in a hammerhead design. Hell, might even work in a tall UDS or one with firebox access on the side...

baffle.2.gif

baffle.3.gif

Also a good page about firebox design & theory (for offsets)...

wd10.18.8.gif

Here's a link to the book Meat Smoking And Smokehouse Design. (May the authors see this use as promotion of their copyrighted material and not a violation – happy to remove the images though if they prefer...)

Last edited:
I don't have any pictures, but many years ago I built a quick-and-dirty offset drum smoker for a neighbor using an old 20# propane tank as a firebox. I went to a muffler shop and had a couple pieces of stainless exhaust pipe cut and bent for a chimney and for delivering the smoke from the firebox to the drum. very cheap, and turned out some great Q.

Chuck

Thanx for the links Thawley.
Some good stuff is written down there plus the drawings are acceptable as well.
Monday I'm gonna pick up my charcoal grate which I ordered today.
It's gonna have a sort of charcoal basket attached to it on the right for indirect grilling and keeping the charcoal from touching the drum.
The basket sits above the air intake so the airflow comes from under the coals,I came with this idea from building the UDS.
Just now I saw a drawing in 1 of your links that matches my idea.

Attachments

• SP_A0594.jpg
    SP_A0594.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,105
Monday I'm gonna pick up my charcoal grate which I ordered today.
It's gonna have a sort of charcoal basket attached to it on the right for indirect grilling and keeping the charcoal from touching the drum.
The basket sits above the air intake so the airflow comes from under the coals,I came with this idea from building the UDS.
Just now I saw a drawing in 1 of your links that matches my idea.
Please post some photos when you get it. Sounds like a good idea. Hope it'll keep those pesky coals from messing up your killer yellow paint job.

I of all know the pride of building something that works, but there are a lot of offset type (chargriller, ect) that show up on craigslist. They are heavier, usually have nice grates and begging to be modified. One could be easily modified into something like this.
picture163small1dl.jpg

Asking $80
3nb3mf3l6ZZZZZZZZZ97q803adb6bf5dd1d49.jpg

This weekend I made some handles from a broomstick,and today I got my charcoal grate and chimney back from the welder.

Attachments

• SP_A0621.jpg
    SP_A0621.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 539
  • SP_A0620.jpg
    SP_A0620.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 538
  • SP_A0618.jpg
    SP_A0618.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 540
  • SP_A0617.jpg
    SP_A0617.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 540
  • SP_A0616.jpg
    SP_A0616.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 540
  • SP_A0615.jpg
    SP_A0615.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 542
  • SP_A0629.jpg
    SP_A0629.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 542
  • SP_A0622.jpg
    SP_A0622.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 549
  • SP_A0628.jpg
    SP_A0628.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 551
Nice. I guess the only thing left to do is get it dirty.

Thanks for the report.

This weekend I made some handles from a broomstick,and today I got my charcoal grate and chimney back from the welder.
Nice but you are gong to need to make some larger holes in that grid so the ash falls. Trust me and JD on that one.

Nice. I guess the only thing left to do is get it dirty.

Thanks for the report.

I know but my buddy who is also responsible for this build doesn't have time (because of his job) this week to be there for the first fire.
He doesn't mind if I start it by my own but still....
Somewhere I can't do that,I'll have to wait till next week otherwise it's gonna feel unfair to me although he doesn't mind.

Back