MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:58 PM   #1
cueball21
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Still Learning Sous Vide

I cooked the second sirloin tip with my sous vide heater/circulator.

What do I have to do to get the right orientation? It was not rotated this way in the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3643.jpg (61.6 KB, 153 views)

Ora pro nobis.

Story of my life: I knew better but did it anyway!

Old Country Brazos Stick Burner, MES 40, Weber Performer, Weber OTG, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe Mini-WSM, AMNPS, AMNTS, Maverick ET901 and ET 73 and ET-732, Vortex, Anova Nano
cueball21 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-20-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
jimstocks53
Full Fledged Farker

What temp and how long?
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2021, 07:39 PM   #3
cueball21

130°F (because there are folks here who have been metricificated ) overnight. Probably cooked about 16 hours because I didn't take it off until later when I was ready to sear it.

I marinaded the roast for an hour or 2 then put it in the marinade and vacuumed the bag; so it cooked in marinade. That's the reason you see a bit of a 'smoke ring' effect on the outer edges. I then seared it in an iron skillet that I heated to 500° in the oven.

Ora pro nobis.

Old Country Brazos Stick Burner, MES 40, Weber Performer, Weber OTG, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe Mini-WSM, AMNPS, AMNTS, Maverick ET901 and ET 73 and ET-732, Vortex, Anova Nano

Old 01-20-2021, 07:55 PM   #4
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

What thoughts did you have?taste texture etc
must have come out sticky,its holding on well

Named By Moose
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=288727

Some people are like a Slinky-not really good for anything, but you still
can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Titch is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2021, 03:40 AM   #5
Hamdrew
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Hamdrew

well wats ur circulator? also as asked, more details. lol

ive worked w/ em before, but i use a modded igloo cooler at home (if u want a premade one, homebrew supplys)
Hamdrew is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2021, 07:32 AM   #6
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can't figure out the faux smoke ring caused by marinating, but I get them too. A marinade is more of a surface treatment (verses a brine), so do you suppose the 'ring' is an indication of the depth of penetration? For example... on the short side of the marinade timetable and cooking time, this is a 3/4" thick sirloin steak that was marinated in some beef injection for several hours, seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning and SV'd at 130° for 75 to 90 minutes, then seared for less than 2 minutes. I don't put any additional marinade in the bag, yet all my sirloin steaks have a 'ring'.

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #7
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

That looks awesome!
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #8
cueball21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titch View Post
What thoughts did you have?taste texture etc
must have come out sticky,its holding on well
Taste was perfect for a sirloin tip. Texture was as solid as if I had cooked it in the oven - but not as good as if I had smoked it however I've found that tips tend to be a bit tough. Everything I've done sous vide, so far, has been exceptionally tender . . . fork tender.

Ora pro nobis.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #9
cueball21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamdrew View Post
well wats ur circulator? also as asked, more details. lol

ive worked w/ em before, but i use a modded igloo cooler at home (if u want a premade one, homebrew supplys)
My circulator - given by DD and SIL for Christmas - is an Anova Nano.

I used a stock pot, but I also bought a styrofoam cooler to experiment with, then DD sent me a notice that she bought a container from Amazon that's on its way. No details yet. Thanks for the tip on homebrew supply.

Ora pro nobis.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #10
cueball21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I can't figure out the faux smoke ring caused by marinating, but I get them too. A marinade is more of a surface treatment (verses a brine), so do you suppose the 'ring' is an indication of the depth of penetration? For example... on the short side of the marinade timetable and cooking time, this is a 3/4" thick sirloin steak that was marinated in some beef injection for several hours, seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning and SV'd at 130° for 75 to 90 minutes, then seared for less than 2 minutes. I don't put any additional marinade in the bag, yet all my sirloin steaks have a 'ring'.

Beautiful plate. Makes me want some but I'm not allowed to eat corn anymore. too much sugar.

I'm with you on the marinade ring. I can only guess that it is the amount of penetration. Instead of marinading separately this time, I decided to put the marinade and the tip in the vacuum bag before sealing then leaving it there for the cook. I can't tell that it made any difference to the cook than a marinade on a grilled steak.

The cooker that DD is sending has separate containers. I think I'll try some veggies in it, maybe.

Ora pro nobis.

Old 01-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #11
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball21 View Post
What do I have to do to get the right orientation? It was not rotated this way in the original.
Taken on an iPhone?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=263284

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Campchef FTG600/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #12
Hamdrew
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Hamdrew

id figure its probably the permeation. i know i owe some of my hams color to artificial-coloring stuff seeping in (fruit jellys)

Last edited by Hamdrew; 01-21-2021 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: typo
Hamdrew is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #13
cueball21

I have (I think) posted pics taken with my iphone. I upload them to my PC then insert them into my post. You are right in that I took the picture with the phone in vertical (portrait?) orientation. I'll try to remember the information about how to hold the phone when taking pics.

Ora pro nobis.