Still Learning Sous Vide

cueball21

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I cooked the second sirloin tip with my sous vide heater/circulator.

What do I have to do to get the right orientation? It was not rotated this way in the original.

Last edited:
130°F (because there are folks here who have been metricificated :grin:) overnight. Probably cooked about 16 hours because I didn't take it off until later when I was ready to sear it.

I marinaded the roast for an hour or 2 then put it in the marinade and vacuumed the bag; so it cooked in marinade. That's the reason you see a bit of a 'smoke ring' effect on the outer edges. I then seared it in an iron skillet that I heated to 500° in the oven.

What thoughts did you have?taste texture etc
must have come out sticky,its holding on well

well wats ur circulator? also as asked, more details. lol

ive worked w/ em before, but i use a modded igloo cooler at home (if u want a premade one, homebrew supplys)

I can't figure out the faux smoke ring caused by marinating, but I get them too. A marinade is more of a surface treatment (verses a brine), so do you suppose the 'ring' is an indication of the depth of penetration? For example... on the short side of the marinade timetable and cooking time, this is a 3/4" thick sirloin steak that was marinated in some beef injection for several hours, seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning and SV'd at 130° for 75 to 90 minutes, then seared for less than 2 minutes. I don't put any additional marinade in the bag, yet all my sirloin steaks have a 'ring'.

Hlx0VRa.jpg

CP3VdQn.jpg

What thoughts did you have?taste texture etc
must have come out sticky,its holding on well

Taste was perfect for a sirloin tip. Texture was as solid as if I had cooked it in the oven - but not as good as if I had smoked it :grin: however I've found that tips tend to be a bit tough. Everything I've done sous vide, so far, has been exceptionally tender . . . fork tender.

well wats ur circulator? also as asked, more details. lol

ive worked w/ em before, but i use a modded igloo cooler at home (if u want a premade one, homebrew supplys)

My circulator - given by DD and SIL for Christmas - is an Anova Nano.

I used a stock pot, but I also bought a styrofoam cooler to experiment with, then DD sent me a notice that she bought a container from Amazon that's on its way. No details yet. Thanks for the tip on homebrew supply.

I can't figure out the faux smoke ring caused by marinating, but I get them too. A marinade is more of a surface treatment (verses a brine), so do you suppose the 'ring' is an indication of the depth of penetration? For example... on the short side of the marinade timetable and cooking time, this is a 3/4" thick sirloin steak that was marinated in some beef injection for several hours, seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning and SV'd at 130° for 75 to 90 minutes, then seared for less than 2 minutes. I don't put any additional marinade in the bag, yet all my sirloin steaks have a 'ring'.

Hlx0VRa.jpg

CP3VdQn.jpg

Beautiful plate. Makes me want some but I'm not allowed to eat corn anymore. too much sugar.

I'm with you on the marinade ring. I can only guess that it is the amount of penetration. Instead of marinading separately this time, I decided to put the marinade and the tip in the vacuum bag before sealing then leaving it there for the cook. I can't tell that it made any difference to the cook than a marinade on a grilled steak.

The cooker that DD is sending has separate containers. I think I'll try some veggies in it, maybe.

id figure its probably the permeation. i know i owe some of my hams color to artificial-coloring stuff seeping in (fruit jellys)

Last edited:
I have (I think) posted pics taken with my iphone. I upload them to my PC then insert them into my post. You are right in that I took the picture with the phone in vertical (portrait?) orientation. I'll try to remember the information about how to hold the phone when taking pics.

Back