MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
joegiggles
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Question Double barrel reverse flow smoker????

I built a UDS 2 years ago and I love it. One problem...its just not big enough. So I want to build something a little bigger because the Mrs will kill me if I have 2. I'm planning on a double barrel smoker (55 gallon on top with at 30 gallon below) but I'm concerned about hot spots. So I was thinking about putting a single flu pipe on one end and then use a section of another 55 gallon drum to direct the heat across the bottom. You know how it goes from there. Do you guys think this will work?

A second question if I may, can I get away with lump charcoal as fuel?

Thanks
joegiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Are we talking a T-smoker? As in 30 gal vertically on the bottom for the firebox and the 55 gal horizontally on top for cooking chamber? Door on front of 30 for adding coal? Sounds like it'll work to me. Have to make sure your doors seal up really well to retain heat and smoke.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
whiteboycustom

why not take a section out of another 55gal drum and add it to your uds you have now....that will add another rack or 2
whiteboycustom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
joegiggles

Not a T, 2 horizontal drums. I thought about that but I dont have a welder and I liked the flexablity of the lower drum (sticsk or coal).

As for adding a section to my existing uds, even if I added a section I would have to remove the top rack to get to the lower rack..or both to get to the fire basket. I figured the double barrel eliminates both issues.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Ah I see. Why not get one of these? http://www.northlineexpress.com/voge...FUZa4AodLUoAHA

Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
joegiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Ah I see. Why not get one of these? http://www.northlineexpress.com/voge...FUZa4AodLUoAHA
I actually just ordered that yesterday. I'm concerned with the reverse flow. I'm assuming it will work. Basic physics...hot air rises. I haven't seen anyone else do this and wanted to get any ideas before I start building it. I guess I will have to play with it a bit to get the right amount of draft to get it up to speed.

I'm also concered with how much more fuel it will use vs my UDS.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Lol far out. I don't see why it wouldn't work, given you run a diffuser plate to direct the heat evenly. I have an idea it will EAT fuel though. I have the single barrel stove kit in my garage and it goes through wood like mad. Then again I am running a hot fire so as to heat the place...

Be sure to post pics of your build. I'll be interested to see how it comes out.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
joegiggles

Will do...I'm still in the planning stages so it will be awhile.

As for the fuel, i know its going to use more, but i guess I am having a hard time figuring out why it would be so much more. Maybe just a lesson i will have to learner on my own

Old 03-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Hcs
On the road to being a farker

If its what I think your talking about its called a big baby smoker. You can do a search and find a lot of info on it.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
My mind is racing.I just thought of about 25 uses for their products!

Thanks for the link!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
joegiggles

That's it...The big baby. how much fuel will it use compared to my uds? Double? Can I use lump charcoal instead of firewood?

Thanks again

Tags
Building a smoker, DBS, Double barrel smoker, fuel, reverse flow, reverse flow horizontal