MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
BobM
Babbling Farker

Default WSM BBQ Guru Adapter Mod (pr0n)

I got a BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi for Christmas.
The manufacturer recommends installing the adapter through a vent hole. I decided to mount the adapter in a separate hole. I can then use the ATC on either of my WSMs. If I choose not to use the ATC, I can just leave the kill plug in the adapter and all the stock vents are fully functional.

I bought an extra WSM adapter and kill plug when I ordered my CyberQ WiFi.

WSM vent holes are 3/4", the WSM adapter is 1 1/4" ID. I have a 7/8" hole saw, and decided to use it. 7/8" is also a good choice because it is 1/2" trade size for electrical fittings. If I ever want to blank up the hole, a 1/2" electrical knockout (KO) seal will cover it right up.

I put blue tape over the hole drilling area and marked it out. I drilled a 1/4" pilot hole, then used my 7/8" hole saw. I did my 18 1/2" WSM first, then the 22 1/2".

7/8" hole drilled half way between the left leg and vent (it will be directly below my probe grommet).

Adapter installed (outside).

Adapter installed (inside).

Adapter side view.

Fan installed.

Kill plug installed.

18 1/2" inside grate view.

22 1/2" side view.

Both WSMs, also showing the probe grommet directly above, and the thermometer mod.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |

Last edited by BobM; 01-02-2013 at 05:39 PM..
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome idea! I like how you give yourself options. I'm also interested to hear our reviews on cooking high & low temp (especially the 22) with the guru. Got my eye on one!

Great pics, thanx for posting.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Ps, can you show a pic of how you run the probes? Also, I'm diggin' the thermo that you mounted at the top grill. What brand/model thermo dd you go with on that?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

Nicely done Sir.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Nevermind.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice job! I bought a couple extra WSM adapters to install on my Performer and Cajun Bandit. Kill plug/Guru'd or vents-the way to go!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I thought about that but there is almost no temp I cant get with 2 fully functioning vents. when my 22 gets dialed in, 1 vent 1/2 open holds 240-250 pretty easily. Dont lose your plugs! I figured they were a 50 cent part but Guru charges 5 bucks for them
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
BobM
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
Ps, can you show a pic of how you run the probes? Also, I'm diggin' the thermo that you mounted at the top grill. What brand/model thermo dd you go with on that?
Probes.

My grommet mod thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...52#post2024152

The thermometer is an F&C 2".

Outside view.

My thermometer mod thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...07#post2299407

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome! Thanx!