Oklahoma Joe Smoker

A friend of mine had one. Best i can remember it was all 3/16" or 1/4" steel and very well built. Looks like a good deal to me as it appears to be in great shape.

I didn't know OK Joe made a vertical like that. I think it looks nice and I bet it's a damn fine smoker as OK Joe/Horizon has a good reputation.

For that price, I want it ... but I don't need it.

i have never cooked on one before (or even seen one for that matter) but i can honestly say that if i lived closer, we would be racing to see who gets their money there first. that looks like a hell of a deal for the money, why are you still here reading this?:p

Sure looks like a Bandera. I don't own one but maybe someone that does can confirm. Also, I have never seen Oklahoma Joe's like this or with the OK Joe. Also, Oklahoma Joe's was bought out by Charbroil (I believe that is it) and the quality is way down. You can find their offsets some times at Ace Hardware or Home Depot for $499 or so. However, it is thin metal and doors do not fit tight.

I had a New Braunfels Black Diamond offset. The thermometer on it said "New Braunfels/Oklahoma Joe's". I had assumed from that that NB bought OK Joe's at some point just prior to the manufacture of my smoker and before NB was bought by Char Broil.

If that's the case, I'd say you're looking at the precursor to the NB Bandera.

However, a current Google search of Oklahoma Joe's Smokers took me to Horizon smokers so my theory is probably a big ole' load of BS.

It's a keeper. In fact I've been looking for one or and off to attach to my OK Joe offset. It is the precursor to the Bandera.

*The OK Joe guys setup shop as Horizon after the buyout/sellout. So Horizon = OK Joe before the cookers became thin.

Mark

I have one of the NBBD models and love it. Here in Florida I would jump on it. Paid $300 for mine and your looks in better shape. Buy it fast.

That's an OK Joe's Vertical Roasting Oven. The forerunner to the Bandera. They are 3/16" thick and originally came with a heat diffuser in the bottom the the smoking chamber.

The upright on my pit is the upright from one of these.

If it's as heavy duty as it looks, you are going to need a few extra hands to get that bad boy in to the back of a pickup truck. We have a similar smoker. It's not that it's crazy heavy, as much as just awkward. Wear an old shirt too!

It's mine!!!!!!!

Picked her up yesterday!!!

The guy said he bought it new about 8 years ago. He kept it in the garage and only rolled it out for smokes. Looks like it too!!:thumb:

Hauled it on a pretty low trailer. (HEAVY SUCKER!) Rolled it on with some 2x10 planks, no problem. Strapped her down and IT'S MINE!!

Took some photos of it right away for y'all, but been fighting photobucket since yesterday. Didn't get all the photos uploaded, but most.

NICE SMOKER!!
IMG_0076.jpg

Here's a shot of the firebox:
IMG_0074.jpg

The air intake is pretty cool:
IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

He scraped it out and cleaned it up pretty well. He apologied for not scrubbing and powerwashing it. (BAAAAH!) I told him that there wasn't a thing wrong with already being seasoned! You can see the diffuser pretty good on this shot:
IMG_0077.jpg

He added a second thermo on the side. He said he was concerned about the temp of the bottom racks, but that he didn't even need it, because the temps were very close anyway. I think I'd have used an oven thermo (or potatoes) to double check before drillin a hole in this beauty, but oh well:
IMG_0079.jpg

SUPER PUMPED!!! I didn't even get a chance to cook on it this weekend either!! I didn't get home until 3 or 4 o'clock and all the meat was FROZEN. Then, had my niece's birthday party to go to most of the day today. Oh well....I'll fire it up this week.

Offered the guy full price for it (he was asking $225). After I left I thought I should've offered less, but I had a smile on my face from ear to ear, so I didn't care too much!:becky::becky:

Thanks for the help on this one Brethren!! I knew what I was going to look at well before I left the house thanks to the great advice and research I was able to do on OK Joe's.

YIPEEEEE!!! One more cooker to add to the family! Though the wife's not as excited as I am......:heh:

I've got one. Been smoking on it since 1995. It's a great smoker.

--frank in Wilson, NY

I was going to ask anyone who's used one (or one similar) about burning sticks instead of charcoal on it. I'd think that would work, right? The firebox isn't as big as a "stick burner" (as far as I know), but if I can fit splits in there, that should work, right?

Questions......

Here's a close-up of the firebox with access door:
IMG_0080.jpg

Any reason I couldn't (or shouldn't) cook with wood only?

Also....I've been looking for info on this cooker online and there's not a lot out there. Does anyone know what model# or model name this one is?

Thanks again.

Back