Green chili question

Kirk

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I made (and screwed up) this recipe once before. The flavor was great, but it was too thick and it scorched. They omitted when to put in the 2nd 1/2 of the water. At what point in the cooking should I do it? Or is it just held in reserve to thin it at the end? Seems like a waste to take something so flavorful and thin it with plain water.

Black Coyote Green Chili
by Wes Carlson

Ingredients:
2 lbs Pork Loin, Cubed
1 can 28 oz. Whole Green Chili, Seed and dice
1 tbsp. Salt
2 cloves Garlic
2 cups Water
5 Jalapenos - Seeded and chopped
1 Medium Sweet Onion - Chopped
5 tbsp. Ground Cumin
1/4 tsp. Oregano
2 cans Campbells Chicken Broth
2 tbsp. Green Tabasco Sauce
8 oz. Green Sauce

Instructions:
Mix together Salt, Cumin, and Oregano. Set aside.
Blend together Jalapenos and Green Sauce. Set aside.
Gray pork in frying pan. Set aside.

Combine Chicken Broth, Half the Water, Onion and Garlic in Cooking Pot. Heat until Onion is translucent. Add Blended Jalapenos, Pork and 1-1/2 Tbsp of Cumin mixture to pot. Continue cooking over medium heat. After one hour, add 1/3 can green chilis (blended), 1 Tbsp Green Tabasco Sauce and another 1-1/2 Tbsp of Cumin mixture. After 2-1/2 hours, add remaining green chilis, Green Tabasco Sauce and Cumin mixture. Salt, thicken or thin sauce to suit.
Servings: 40

Sounds interesting. Not sure what caused it to be scorched other than getting it too hot. You could sub beer for the water, but using fresh green chilies instead of canned will take it to a whole new level.

After 2-1/2 hours, add remaining green chilis, Green Tabasco Sauce and Cumin mixture. Salt, thicken or thin sauce to suit.
Servings: 40

Here is where it should go, in my opinion. It says thin or thicken to taste. Looking at what is in the I would make sure it's cooking at almost the lowest temp you can get on your stove.

Personally with all the chillis and the cumin and such I'd put it in a cast iron dutch oven and put in my smoker.

Sounds interesting. Not sure what caused it to be scorched other than getting it too hot. You could sub beer for the water, but using fresh green chilies instead of canned will take it to a whole new level.

Right on with the fresh roasted chilies, also butt will be more flavorful than loin and making homemade green sauce would be better too....Uh-oh, that's a complete hijack on a recipe that obviously works.

Back to your question, I try add additional liquid early on so the flavors can cook-in. As for thickener, Mrs ~t's~ green chili calls for a roux type of thickener added toward the end of the cook, but we allow enough time for the "flour taste" to cook-out.

Thanks guys. The green sauce is green enchilada sauce.
I think I got this thing covered now.

Thanks guys. The green sauce is green enchilada sauce.
I think I got this thing covered now.

I'm glad you got it covered!

But we're not done offering suggestions. LOL

its the green enchilada sauce that caused it to scorch. You have got to have it on about a 3-5 bubble boil when you add it. Try veg broth instead of chicken. You dont want your pork to taste like chicken. thats just not right.

Try a course grind of shoulder. The more fat the more flavor. I hate to cube meat, takes too long.

Fresh roasted green chile's are the way to go. The canned ones taste too vinegary. If you want great heat make a quater of your green chile's sandias.

Also when you are graying the pork add the garlic and onion at that point instead of to the pot. It adds a whole other layer of flavor.

That is Wes's competition recipe so he may have never used the rest of the water. Its got to be the consistancy of thick gravy for comps but if you are making it at home thin or thicken to whatever you like. He uses water to thin it to the right consistancy because broth is too salty, usually near the end before turn in.

This the best damn green chili I have ever made. Vinny usually eats gallons of it when I make it
Ditto! Thirdeye knows green chili. :biggrin:

Black Cat, the Thirdeye recipe in the above link uses 64oz of chix broth, and it has zero chicken flavor. And it's the bomb-diggity. :tongue:

Ditto! Thirdeye knows green chili. :biggrin:

Black Cat, the Thirdeye recipe in the above link uses 64oz of chix broth, and it has zero chicken flavor. And it's the bomb-diggity. :tongue:

It DOES look very good!! YUM! Do you all ever have green chili throwdowns the night before a big comp???? :biggrin:

You know how you guys swear by certain things for comp Q? Like the Italian salad dressing or the sweeter sauces?? That is sorta the same thing with the veg vs chicken broth for comp verde. I've tasted it both ways and like it both ways.

Gotta go throw some butts on the WSM!!! Pron anyone?

You know how you guys swear by certain things for comp Q? Like the Italian salad dressing or the sweeter sauces?? That is sorta the same thing with the veg vs chicken broth for comp verde. I've tasted it both ways and like it both ways.
I'll try it your way next time. :wink:

Back