• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st Post, Excited & Chewy Brisket

Honestjbone

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hi guys 1st post here. 3rd brisket attempt first 2 were hot and fast....meh this one is low n slow. Before I get any flak I just wanna say I've been studying bbq for a while on multiple forums including this one with recipes and videos ranging from Myron's hot and fast to Franklin's low n slow...OK

11.75 (12 lb) packer brisket

Weber 18" smokey mountain

Minion method, hickory chunks enough for adequate smoke

Fat cap trimmed, additional fat trimmed as well

Salt and pepper 50/50 Texas style only

250 degrees 5:30am throw on time. Temps stable at 250 with maverick probe. Wrapped in butcher paper @ 170 degrees around 11am

Pulled off at 3pm at 195 degrees. Great looking bark, spritzed a couple times throughout to help keep moist.

Good clean heat and fire too. I seperated the point from flat AFTER rest to fire up some burnt ends.

Point & burnt ends were chewy and fat wasn't rendered how I wanted it to be. First serving slices of the flat were pull tender. But more towards the deckle was tough as leather. Smoke ring was present as well.

Consensus is 1-1 1/4 hours per LB of meat. What did I do wrong? I feel like I didn't cook it long enough :-/

Probe went in pretty easily too when I pulled it off to rest

Any bbq help out there????? Thanks guys -Jason

Every brisket will have a different finishing temp. Next time, let it ride until it it probes tender. That could happen anywhere from 195-210. The probe should almost literally FALL into the flat.

Temperature and time are only rough guides. It isn't done until it probes tender in the middle of the flat.

Sounds like you cooked it right, but just didn't cook it long enough.

Yep. It sounds like it wasn't cooked long enough. Look for your probe to slide in easily in the thickest part of the flat. The point will take carte of itself.

So one thing that comes to mind is that all that fat you trimmed off, that's all there to keep the meat moist. Now I know there's a LOT of fat on the top of a brisket, but you don't have to trim it all off. Unless I'm trimming for a competition I don't trim very much off. I score it in a diamond pattern to let the smoke through and to let the heat melt it all the way through and then I trim it off AFTER it's done.

Brisket is a tough one. Keep at it. I'd consider foiling it (or paper whatever) a bit earlier as well. Maybe not let it get to 170. I usually foil around 150. As for the probe going in easy, there's easy and there's 'like butter' It took a friend to actually show me the difference. I can tell you I was pulling around 185, 190, 195 and I felt like it 'went in easy'. Now I often don't pull till 200, 205, even 210. Don't be afraid to take it a little bit longer.

Good smokin' luck!

Wow! Fast reponses! Holy cow thanks guys! I had a feeling it wasn't done long enough.....this quest has me going every weekend to fire up some Q

Ima try it again this weekend, getting up so early never got me so excited hahaha

Thank you guys I appreciate it!

Yep. You simply CAN NOT (And I MEAN CAN NOT) go by time and temp. Every piece of meat is different. I've known folks who had to smoke their 9 lb butts for over 20 hours because the butts simply refused to be done until then. As above, on brisket, always probe for tenderness. 195 IT is only a ball park reference.

Don't forget that your brisket fails turn into epic wins in soup! I'll swing by for a bowl on lunchtime on my way thru for work today! And welcome too btw!

Like others said, it wasn't cooked enough. But you got a great lesson on what cooked and undercooked brisket is, and how thinner parts cook faster. Looking back, you could have removed the point and continued to cook it.

Sounds like the flat was done but the point wasn't. The point will have a lot more fat to render down so a lot of people seperate the flat and point when the flat is done, then throw the point back on to the smoker. Also get a good bark all the way around the point too doing it that way.

The key to cooking a good brisket is to keep it simple, get you a COW POKE Themra pen and cook it until it is probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat. If the thickest part of the Flat is Probe Tender the rest will be perfect.
COW POKE Themra pen

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast

Back