First overnight cook on the Outlaw pellet smoker

ttkt57

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Here in Idaho last night it was down in the teens, so I thought I would put my new pellet cooker to the test and do a pork shoulder.

The Outlaw locked in and stayed right on temp all night, but (wow!) did it ever burn through the pellets!

I'll post more pictures as soon as the butt cools off enough for me to pull it.

Here's the shoulder, rubbed and kept chilled overnight (Monday night) in the fridge:

The Outlaw locked in and stayed that way for the entire cook:

I didn't peek once. I just waited for 203°F on the meat probe to get an idea if I can trust it:

It looks pretty good. I hope it tastes as good as it looks when I pull it and put it in a bun:

How many lbs. of pellets do you think you used?

Pork looks delicious!

Yep. That’s a beauty. Most pellet poppers are not double walled or insulated in the least. Assuming you’re running 225-250 for 8-12 hours at mid teen temps, 15-18 isn’t unreasonable. Most pellets average about a pound every hour at 250 at 60-70 ambient temperatures and most hate cold weather. Here in mid-south Florida my pellets last a lot longer because I’m not fighting cold temps. But look on the bright side. It’s cheaper than going to a bbq joint and you get to make the flavors you like!

Most pellet poppers are not double walled or insulated in the least.

It seems to me that the advantage to having heavy gauge steel (the Outlaw is 11-gauge instead of the imports' 18-gauge) isn't in the reduction of fuel costs but in the stability of pit temp. That, and the durability.

Edit: My mind went on a tangent and I hit "submit" before asking myself if my thoughts actually related to your comment. Ha! It must be the overnight cook sleep deprivation catching up with me!

Last edited:
If you don't mind please post a picture of you Redteq 450 cooker. I'm interested as a replacement to ny BGE. I'm not too happy with the Egg. Thank you!

If you don't mind please post a picture of you Redteq 450 cooker. I'm interested as a replacement to ny BGE. I'm not too happy with the Egg. Thank you!

If you mean my Outlaw 450, here's a pic. I haven't heard of Redteq.

Yep. That’s a beauty. Most pellet poppers are not double walled or insulated in the least. Assuming you’re running 225-250 for 8-12 hours at mid teen temps, 15-18 isn’t unreasonable. Most pellets average about a pound every hour at 250 at 60-70 ambient temperatures and most hate cold weather. Here in mid-south Florida my pellets last a lot longer because I’m not fighting cold temps. But look on the bright side. It’s cheaper than going to a bbq joint and you get to make the flavors you like!

That's the exact reason I bought a Cookshack FEC-100 six years ago. Insulated cabinet with two layers of stainless steel and fiberglass insulation in between. I use .75 pounds of pellets per hour at 250 degrees, less at 225 degrees no matter what the outside temperature is. The problem with the heavy gauge smokers like Yoder, etc. is that you have a relatively small fire trying to heat up all of that uninsulated steel. I have heard tales of the YS1500 chewing through 30 pounds of pellets in a single cook! That would get expensive over time....

That's the exact reason I bought a Cookshack FEC-100 six years ago. Insulated cabinet with two layers of stainless steel and fiberglass insulation in between. I use .75 pounds of pellets per hour at 250 degrees, less at 225 degrees no matter what the outside temperature is. The problem with the heavy gauge smokers like Yoder, etc. is that you have a relatively small fire trying to heat up all of that uninsulated steel. I have heard tales of the YS1500 chewing through 30 pounds of pellets in a single cook! That would get expensive over time....

The FEC-100 is $5000. The OL450 is $1500. Must be nice up there where you live! :biggrin1: :wink:

The FEC-100 is $5000. The OL450 is $1500. Must be nice up there where you live! :biggrin1: :wink:

Love it! I'm an old fart and actually saved for many years to buy my toy new! :wink: You can typically find used FEC-100's from $2,000 to $2,700 depending on age and condition. Enjoy your new toy to the fullest! Outlaw has a tremendous reputation for quality, so I'm sure you have many years of enjoyment coming your way.

Back