MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:39 AM   #1
GrassRun
Full Fledged Farker

Default Raleigh, NC Brethren - Help!

A family member is escaping from CA and moving to Raleigh. Told them that I’d ask here for good bbq places to eat.

Help!
GrassRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
WhitesideJC
Full Fledged Farker

My favorite spot is Picnic in North Durham. Whole Hog, delicious food, and they'll soon be opening up a spot in Raleigh. Lawrence BBQ will be opening up in the next few months, and I've been impressed by the food they've put out.

Sam Jones BBQ will be opening up in the area, which is in the lineage of Skylight Inn in the eastern part of the state.

L BGE // Cinder Block Pit // Shirley 24 x 36 Patio
WhitesideJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #3
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

The Pit is pretty decent, other than that I never found any good BBQ up there (went to NCSU).

https://www.thepit-raleigh.com/
Old 01-06-2021, 09:29 AM   #4
Cueford T. Justice
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Matt

Like a lot of areas, we’ve lost some of our classic joints like Allen & Son (he cut/split his own hickory right up to when he closed) and the original Clyde Cooper. If Sam Jones can open in Raleigh I’ll be there on day one as Skylight (referenced above) is my favorite. They should make a pilgrimage to Ayden, NC to experience Skylight in person. I’ve never tried Picnic so thanks for the intel WhitesideJC that they are coming to Raleigh. I just joined the brethren so nice to meet some Raleigh folks.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:32 AM   #5
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cueford T. Justice View Post
Like a lot of areas, we’ve lost some of our classic joints like Allen & Son (he cut/split his own hickory right up to when he closed) and the original Clyde Cooper. If Sam Jones can open in Raleigh I’ll be there on day one as Skylight (referenced above) is my favorite. They should make a pilgrimage to Ayden, NC to experience Skylight in person. I’ve never tried Picnic so thanks for the intel WhitesideJC that they are coming to Raleigh. I just joined the brethren so nice to meet some Raleigh folks.
Hate to hear that Clyde Cooper's closed down. Remember watching them cooking on Pit Masters and they seemed like really nice people. Unfortunately this pandemic is really hurting restaurants.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:32 PM   #6
Tigeru
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Dave

I guess he did say good bbq which is average in most books or 49 other states. If this is a family member you value then allow the person to eat excellent bbq at Redneck BBQ Lab. I’ve had better BBQ at gas stations in Tennessee and the Midwest than anything outside of Redneck.
Tigeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

My favorite place is the Original Q Shack (this is not NC BBQ, but Texas style. Bring on the brisket and ribs). Their hushpuppies are great and love their spinach.

I also love the Blue Note for entertainment (and ribs). Best place to spend a Tuesday night, listening to live Blues.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:43 PM   #8
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

It looks like Clyde Cooper's is still operating:
https://clydecoopersbbq.com/
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:28 AM   #9
GrassRun
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks to all for the replies. I’ll compile a list. Looking forward to their reviews!
GrassRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:30 AM   #10
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post
I guess he did say good bbq which is average in most books or 49 other states. If this is a family member you value then allow the person to eat excellent bbq at Redneck BBQ Lab. I’ve had better BBQ at gas stations in Tennessee and the Midwest than anything outside of Redneck.
I've been to Rednecks place 3 times...first time the food was good and well above average. The next 2 times it was dry, stale, and bland across the board. My Dad got a pulled pork sandwich, took one bite, and threw it out the window (we were driving back to Jacksonville). I got a slice of brisket and it was hard to eat because it was dry and gray...100% reheated from the day before...bark was good though.

I run a BBQ food truck on Camp Lejeune and we get a lot of contractors who come by. One of them mentioned Redneck's place and I happened to be serving brisket that day. He came back the next day and told me mine was much better than anything he had gotten from Rednecks.

Mind you I've met Jerry a few times and competed against him as well ; he won grand the first time and took a top 10 the 2nd time while I was in the bottom. haha He's a nice guy and I've also utilized some of his techniques from videos he put out years ago. I'm just not a fan of his restaurant and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is looking for "good BBQ."

To each their own of course. Out of the 50+ BBQ restaurants I've been to only 2 of them have really given me amazing BBQ. Tuffy Stone's place in Virgina, Q BBQ, is fantastic and I've been there a few times and it's always a positive experience. Swig and Swine in Charleston, SC is also on point and has some of the best BBQ in the region (in my opinion, of course).
Old 01-09-2021, 08:37 AM   #11
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrad62 View Post
It looks like Clyde Cooper's is still operating:
https://clydecoopersbbq.com/
They were shut down for a long time...shut down in March and then opened back up in October, but they are still doing "shorter operating hours."
Old 01-09-2021, 08:36 PM   #12
NC Mike
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I have been to Redneck BBQ Lab one time and I'm afraid to go back. I really shold give them another chance because any place can have an off day. I was in line at the door when they opened to make sure I could get burnt ends. The burnt ends were OK, the brisket was dry and had no flavor and I can't remember what the pulled pork was like.
We have always went to Stephenson's in Willow Spring if I did not have time to cook BBQ. Right now they are take out only and you order from your car. We did stop right before Christmas and the BBQ is still good. The smoke was rolling where pork shoulders are being cooked. I would not recommend ribs though and I'm not sure how the chicken would be since you are not getting it at your table
NC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote