MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #46
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Ive been on the fence for a while about trying one of these out. Went to the website a couple of times with the intent of ordering one, but stopped myself because it would just be another toy. But, your post put me over. I ordered one this morning. I'm looking forward to exploring the differences.

The biggest thing holding me back was whether I could do pork and brisket with foil. I hats leasing with foil. Guessing I might have to pull it and put it on the rack after 160* and maybe add more full??? We'll see.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #47
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
This is your house and you have been kind enough to invite me in and allow me to hang around. I say some stupid things that come out wrong or should never be said to start with.

I hope you can accept my apology.
Internets a beautiful place ... aint it? No harm no foul.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #48
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

I got mine yesterday and don't even have pron yet, but I thawed out some wibs and they'll be hanging in there soon as a first cook.

I'll tell ya, from where I'm sitting the PBC seems to be a simple tool. (Free, too! Thanks, Pooh, that was TOO farking cool). Build quality is excellent and the Brethren label is beyond cool.

I'm looking at it and realize there are few parts and no adjustments to make during either assembly or cooking. And there's no thermometer hole.

WHAT?

The more I read about the thing the more uneasy I got, in spite of some great press by Patio Daddio, whom I respect. I've tried one of those Brinkmann bullets. Twice. One I threw away and the other I never used again but kept, only because it was (is) my wife's. I'm no good with fixed intake and vents. Gimme something to tweak, man!

No thermometer...so...I'm supposed to just let this thing run without me knowing what it's doing...with no way to adjust it... Yeah right! (sigh)

Well, I've always considered cooking to be an adventure, and BBQ is no exception. So I'll fill a basket with hot coals, hang some meat, close it up and walk away. A few feet... We'll see in a day or so just what this beastie is all about.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #49
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
I got mine yesterday and don't even have pron yet, but I thawed out some wibs and they'll be hanging in there soon as a first cook.

I'll tell ya, from where I'm sitting the PBC seems to be a simple tool. (Free, too! Thanks, Pooh, that was TOO farking cool). Build quality is excellent and the Brethren label is beyond cool.

I'm looking at it and realize there are few parts and no adjustments to make during either assembly or cooking. And there's no thermometer hole.

WHAT?

The more I read about the thing the more uneasy I got, in spite of some great press by Patio Daddio, whom I respect. I've tried one of those Brinkmann bullets. Twice. One I threw away and the other I never used again but kept, only because it was (is) my wife's. I'm no good with fixed intake and vents. Gimme something to tweak, man!

No thermometer...so...I'm supposed to just let this thing run without me knowing what it's doing...with no way to adjust it... Yeah right! (sigh)

Well, I've always considered cooking to be an adventure, and BBQ is no exception. So I'll fill a basket with hot coals, hang some meat, close it up and walk away. A few feet... We'll see in a day or so just what this beastie is all about.
Have faith, Grasshoppa

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #50
Arlin_MacRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Have faith, Grasshoppa

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #51
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I think the simplicity of the pre-metered intake and exhaust makes the PBC somewhat unique and attractive to many buyers. Plus the powder coating and the welded gizmos. If if came with a temp gauge and adjustable vents it would be just another UDS which is available from several other vendors.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #52
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Well I must say I am impressed with the spirit of the place. Good on you taking care of your employees/partners/friends doing you a favor/whatever the Hell.
As someone earlier in the thread posted, it will be nice to see the different cooks coming from these things. The mods do some pretty badass cooks from what I've scrounged up on the ol' site, now I get to see what they can do with a PBC.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #53
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Well, I hate to have to ask but what is a PBC and an FEC? Pit Barrel Cooker?

I do know what a UDS and ECB are by the way. ;D

Great looking Smokers!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #54
gtr

PBC & FEC, which comes in different sizes.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #55
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Ive been on the fence for a while about trying one of these out. Went to the website a couple of times with the intent of ordering one, but stopped myself because it would just be another toy. But, your post put me over. I ordered one this morning. I'm looking forward to exploring the differences.

The biggest thing holding me back was whether I could do pork and brisket with foil. I hats leasing with foil. Guessing I might have to pull it and put it on the rack after 160* and maybe add more full??? We'll see.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club!

I look forward to seeing which way you go with the pork, briskets and foil....please post up any cooks you do, would really help me learn my new weapon!
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #56
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Very Cool gtr! Thanks!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #57
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
PBC & FEC, which comes in different sizes.
Damn son! That fec looks the bidness, but I'd have to sell a kidney to afford one.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #58
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

You are all welcome. :-)
Facebook

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 02-01-2013 at 09:18 PM..
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #59
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Holy Crap.

I got home tonight and had a voicemail. It was from Noah at Pit Barrel. It was not a computerized voice, and definitely a personal real phone call. He just called me to tell me that my Pit Barrel had just shipped out and that if I had any question that I should call him. His personal number was on the receipt.

Impressive customer service so far. I get the impression that he genuinely wants to be helpful and people to be happy. It just shocked me as I haven't heard anyone mention it yet.

And for those that are already tired of the PBC threads. I did think for a minute that wow, this guy must not be selling very many if he has time to call everyone. Let's not go there! I see this smoker as being nothing unique that can't be built. But, it is a well built commercial product, in EXACTLY the same way as a WSM is. We accept the WSM. I don't see why we can't accept it as such and move on.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #60
big brother smoke

Nice weapons mods and Phil!