Good Jerk Rub

S

Smoke Samurai

Can anyone provide me with a good jerk recipe for chicken? Thanks

no one has a good jerk rub they use....?

Patience, Grasshoppa...

You waited less than an hour in the middle of the work day.

There is a Google search near the bottom of the page that searches just this site.

Here are some relevant threads...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111367
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108813
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105419
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99836

You want a good rub to jerk your chicken? When did this forum turn into that sort of place?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

If you can't make your own, I would strongly suggest Plowboys Jerk Rub. It is very good.
Todd
"The DIRT Man"

Walkerswood is IMHO the best bottled jerk on the market. I've posted a couple jerk recipes on here, both slightly different but very good!

Ok Guys, Thanks so much for such a great welcome. In return a small token of my appreciation: Here's a great version of authentic Jamaican Jerk seasoning. With what's supposed to be in there... no personal touches or special ingredients like rum, soy, mustard.... (these things just weren't available at the time.

This make about 2/3 cup of a wet rub/ paste.

6 Spring Onions (escallion)
2-3 cloves garlic
1-3 Scotch Bonnet peppers (Depending on how hot you want it.)
2 tsp Allspice berries or 1 tsp ground allspice (Pimento)
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tsp brown sugar or honey
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup cane vinegar or distilled (white) malt vinegar
1 tbsp oil

Combine everything in a mortar and pestle and mash, discard any large bits of seasoning (spring onion) and apply to meat. Or you can reduce in a blender to a paste. Cook low and slow (indirect or smoker if possible) Smoke with allspice wood (pimento wood), again if possible.

This seasoning is great with chicken, burgers, fish and especially pork. You can make this as hot or mild as you want with the scotch bonnets, don't worry it tastes great either way. As for cuts of pork to use... You can use loin, chops, or a picnic ham/ shoulder. But if you really wanna be authentic like what you get at jerk spots in Ja.. you don't cook it bone in.. you de-bone it and butterfly it out to end up with a broad flat slab of meat avg 2-3" thick (leave what fat you can on the meat. it will render down and self baste).

Another option is to get a full bacon cut from the belly, about 8 x 12" skin on make cross slits in the meat about 2" apart and 1/2" deep) and lightly score the skin too. Season with the jerk seasoning (I put some extra salt on the skin). I sear the meat over direct heat briefly to seal it then cook indirectly and smoke with allspice. When its almost done turn skin side down over low coals and MONITOR CLOSELY.... IT WILL BURN, but if done correctly you'll get the most amazing cracklin/crispy skin ever!

Cheers.

Here's another on I have:

Hey everyone, Thought I'd share this with you guys. It's a pretty good looking jerk recipe. It would go well with most meats, poultry & seafood. (I generally dont jerk beef, but as long as you think it tastes good, use it on whatever you'd like. ) A nice tip for doing jerked ribs is glazing with honey towards the end! Check it out...

Jerk marinade:
1 bunch of escallion
1 large onion
4 cloves garlic
1 fat sprig of fresh thyme
2 Scotch bonnet peppers
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp whole pimento berries
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp olive oil
juice of 2 fat limes
1 TB good rub (preferably Appleton)
Serve with extra honey, extra jerk marinade, a hot pepper sauce, roast corn, and a mixture of sweet potato and breadfruit chips plus hard-dough
bread.

Looks like a great base to me... adjust it however you'd like... a dash of rum, a bit of soy, some other herbs... make it yours. Enjoy!

Cheers

And as far as the best cut to cook, at the jerk spots here they do whole hog basically deboned leaving the ribs (I'm taking for granted that you already know pork is the BEST candidate for jerk) but for home or small batch cooking is generally the belly... but by FAR my fav is the shoulder. This is how I do it.

80f7db0e.jpg

1c37f1da.jpg

e05fa25f.jpg

Got it Jerkified:
13cbfaec.jpg

65316b50.jpg

Pork about to go on with pimento for smoke after an overnight rest in the fridge.
dea629c3.jpg

a little ways in
882e9c36.jpg

and.... flipped:
1b486778.jpg

Give the pork a bit of reverse searing
6a57955a.jpg

Pork rested and ready for the knife :thumb:
189b65b2.jpg

fa031ac5.jpg

98b9d9f4.jpg

81765c8c.jpg

The key to a good jerk is the balance of the salt and heat (I add a touch of sweet.) the paste is supposed to be a bit salty. You want the jerk to pull moisture from the pork and then to the brine it. I say you have to season jerk for about 12-24 hours... you just don't get the full effect of jerk if you only season it for 2-6... Jerk is an art form in itself. The odds are basic jerk will always be damn good... but whenever you find that sweet spot... that perfect recipe... you'll know. Play with it... It all depends on what you like. Good additions to jerk are: soy, rum, honey, ginger, herbs, Rum, juniper, citrus, RUM... :wink: It's hard to mess it up. Do small batches and adjust as you like. Something I do is to not make my jerk too hot... :crazy: WHAT??? Yeah I said it! I don't make it too hot but for those that want the heat I ALWAYS serve my jerk with a scotch bonnet sauce on the side!

Here's my hot sauce:
dd8da341.jpg

Good luck with the Jerk Brother! Enjoy!
Cheers

We'z all awaitin' on your lickered up lady spillin' de beans!:heh::fish2:

HA! I was actually talking about Phrasty...and he came through! Good looking jerk pork right there above this post.

My wife is Trinidadian, not Jamaican.

When I do jerk it's usually Walkerswood...although I cut it with some Trini seasoning. I would really like to make Phrasty's recipe sometime.

My wife used to have a boss who was a Jamaican lady. She's a Seventh Day Adventist so no pork...but she made undoubtedly the best jerk chicken I have ever had in my life.

I've posted a couple jerk recipes on here, both slightly different but very good!

Yup! This is my fav!

I added about 2x the salt tho... the first chicken I soaked in the marinade (12 hours) came out a bit under salted... but super intense flavor!
I was also surprised at how low the heat was on it for having used 2 whole hab's in it! Maybe scotch bonnet's would have fired it up a bit more...

...Post it here too so you don't have to leave the page -

Hey everyone, Thought I'd share this with you guys. Came across this today... It's a pretty good looking jerk recipe. Looks like it would go well with most meats, poultry & seafood. (I generally dont jerk beef, but as long as you think it tastes good, use it on whatever you'd like. :wink:) A nice tip for doing jerked ribs is glazing with honey towards the end! :thumb: Check it out...

Jerk marinade:
1 bunch of escallion
1 large onion
1 fat sprig of fresh thyme
2 Scotch bonnet peppers
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp whole pimento berries
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp olive oil
juice of 2 fat limes

Serve with extra honey, extra jerk marinade, a hot pepper sauce, roast corn, and a mixture of sweet potato and breadfruit chips plus hard-dough
bread.

Looks like a great base to me... adjust it however you'd like... a dash of rum, a bit of soy, some other herbs... make it yours. Enjoy! :thumb:

Cheers

HUGE fan of the Walkerswood. That stuff is out of this world. In fact, just mentioning it here, has me craving it. I'm so making jerk ribs here very, very soon.

Walkerswood is not easy to find. Only a couple stores near me carry it now that World Market closed down in St. Louis. There's still one across the river in Illinois where I get it as well as a couple somewhat ethnic grocery stores in the area, all are off the beaten path. So, if you want to make your own:

1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
2 scotch bonnet peppers (if you can’t find this at your grocery use a fresh jalapeño)**
1 tbsp allspice
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup dark rum
juice from one fresh lime
juice from one fresh orange

Combine everything in a food processor and soak the meat in the results...

Back