MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #31
mykeystoy
Full Fledged Farker

I am always ready to try a new chili recipe.. I can never do comps though my wife liked ( and I agree ) using a chuck roast instead of ground beef.. When it shreds as you stir it is ready. That is of course after it has been smoked for a few hours nothing too much just a light smoke to add to the flavor.. I have a difficult time with dried beans though unless it has been simmering in the crockpot overnight. Might have to try different beans. Red beans do no favors to your guts
mykeystoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #32
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Looks good to me B-Shiz... I go both ways on beans/no beans and the corn sounds like something I would like to try. The best of luck to you brother.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #33
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks delicious, good luck.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #34
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

looks great! best of luck, im sure you will do great
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! :becky: and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project:doh:
mr dirts bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #35
deepsouth

looks great.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #36
deepsouth

secret recipe?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #37
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm1226 View Post
Looks great. IMO, chili with no beans is for hot dogs.

At least there's someone with some sense around here. ^^^^

Lookin' good Bo, good luck at the competition!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #38
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Dude, I did a 20 something people comp yesterday, if it is edible then you are in the top 20%. People SUCK at cooking.

Top three for sure.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #39
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

That looks Great to me I like beans in mine too I use dark kidney, chilli, balck and pinto
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #40
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd hit it...several times

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #41
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

looks awesome! recipe please!

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #42
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up

I always use black beans and corn...with stew meat cut into smaller pieces. Not a big fan of the big (kidney?) beans. But that's me.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #43
Timmy
Full Fledged Farker

Can you explain why cheese was determined not to be a big factor? Seems like most folks like cheese on just about everything. Just curious.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #44
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
Dude, I did a 20 something people comp yesterday, if it is edible then you are in the top 20%. People SUCK at cooking.
Top three for sure.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Can you explain why cheese was determined not to be a big factor? Seems like most folks like cheese on just about everything. Just curious.
In a nutshell, it wasn't economically viable. I have to cook 10 gallons of chili with no guarantee of return on my investment. There are about 40 teams. Money is awarded for only the top 3 teams. That means that I only have a 3 out 40 chance of getting anything to help offset expenses. Now, if you take into account that several teams (say 50%) will be there cooking just to get out and have fun and have no chance of winning, that means I have a 3 out of 20 chance to reap a return.

When evaluating the chili by itself, with sour cream, with cheese, and with both cheese and sour cream, the evaluation group didn't see a significant value brought by the cheese but they all really liked how the sour cream complimented it. So, I decided to skip the cheese. That's also why I'm using a bit more beans than I would if I were cooking it at home. The beans are an inexpensive filler to help me get to 10 gallons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
secret recipe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskew82 View Post
looks awesome! recipe please!
The current version 2.1 recipe is a secret at least until I find out if it will do well in local comps. If it bombs, I'll share it. Here is version 1.1 of the recipe. It's pretty good. Version 2.1 doesn't require the tweaking at the end and some ingredients have been either swapped out for others or eliminated all together.

Version 1.1 (Won 1st place last year)

2 pounds of 93% lean ground beef
2 15 ounce cans of black beans - rinsed
1 15 ounce can of light red kidney beans - rinsed
1 11 ounce can of Mexican corn - drained
2 1.25 ounce packets of Old El Paso Reduced Sodium Taco Seasoning
1 1.25 ounce packet of Old El Paso Hot & Spicy Taco Seasoning
2 TBS Obie-Cue's Fajita Fabulosa
1 Medium size onion chopped
6 - 8 garlic cloves chopped
1 28 ounce can of Cento San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes pureed in food processor
1 26 ounce container of unsalted beef stock
4 packets (not boxes) of Herb-Ox Sodium Free Instant Beef Broth & Seasoning
2 Tsp ground Cumin
1 Tsp ground Coriander
1 Tsp Worsty Sauce
1/2 Tsp ground bay leaf (Or just use 2 bay leaves and remove before serving)
1 TBS Brown Sugar or to taste
2 TBS Texas Pete Hot Sauce or to taste
1 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) or to taste
1 TBS Olive oil

Saute the onion and garlic in 1 TBS olive oil for about 2-3 minutes and don't let them burn. Add the ground beef immediately followed by the beef stock. Stir the ground beef/onion/garlic/stock mixture into a slurry. This is when the beef breaks down into fine pieces that contributes to the chili's texture.

Once the beef is done, add the tomatoes and bay leaf and 1 packet of the reduced sodium taco seasoning and cook for 20 minutes at a medium boil. Add the 2nd packet of low sodium taco seasoning, the Worsty, Herb-Ox beef/seasoning, cumin, and coriander. Let the mixture continue to cook at a medium boil for another 20 to 30 minutes. The chili should begin to thicken up and much of the broth should be reducing and boiling away.

Add the hot & spicy taco seasoning and the Fajita Fabulosa, the beans, and the corn and let the chili continue to cook until it reaches a thick consistency without broth on top. The broth should be more of a sauce in the meat than a soup. Let it continue to cook until the proper consistency is reached.

At this point, it's time to start tuning the flavor. This is where the sugar, vinegar, and Texas Pete come in.I look for a smooth flavor finish without any harshness or bitterness and without a pronounced sweet flavor (so go easy on the sugar) and with a hint of heat right at the end. I have found that a little vinegar and a little heat from the Texas Pete along with a little sugar can help smooth out the flavor landing. Once you are happy with the flavor, serve and enjoy. And, as is the case with most chili recipes, it's better reheated after you cool it and store in the fridge over night.

And, I told you above that this version was simple to cook. Here are all of the ingredients in the pot ready to be brought to a simmer.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #45
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Bo, it looks great! Good luck at the comp. 10 gallons is a lot!

Chili is one of the few things I can't get right. I always try to make a roux and it misbehaves once I add other ingredients and just turns bad. I might go to the store now and buy stuff for a no bean chili.

Good luck!