MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #46
Tuffy
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
I almost fell outa my chair when I heard Tuffy say that a whole shoulder at 225* takes around 5 hours to cook! Huh???
I almost fell out of mine as well. Unfortunately, not all of my process made it on the show. It would be awesome if you could cook a 18 pound shoulder at 225 degrees in five hours. Think about how much more sleep we could get.
Tuffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #47
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
I almost fell out of mine as well. Unfortunately, not all of my process made it on the show. It would be awesome if you could cook a 18 pound shoulder at 225 degrees in five hours. Think about how much more sleep we could get.
Wonder why they would edit it out? We know you know how to cook, Brother! For them to not let you explain your process is kind of weird. What would that have eaten up? Another five seconds, maybe? Let us know if you ever figure out how to cook a shoulder in five hours, though!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #48
Tuffy
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
Wonder why they would edit it out? We know you know how to cook, Brother! For them to not let you explain your process is kind of weird. What would that have eaten up? Another five seconds, maybe? Let us know if you ever figure out how to cook a shoulder in five hours, though!
It was not intentional, I am sure .
Tuffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #49
Market Hunter
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
One other disappointing point, the winning team cooked on an offset pit. NC BBQ is cooked directly over coals.
I am going to drop a bomb on you Boshizzle...there are a lot of renown NC restaurants serving "Eastern NC BBQ" that cook their meats in....wait for it... electric ovens with no carbon fuels whatsoever being a part of the cook.

With this being said, I have heard more than 1 person (even a KCBS judge) reference a NC bbq restaurant and say they served Eastern NC BBQ. These electric cookers are basically saucing/seasoning their product after cooking it and, then later on, steaming it to serve.

Pete Jones doesn't use electric cookers. They do it right. I have paid for at least one of the 4 walls on their restaurants eating there when I was in school at Greenville. They easily rank in my top 5 bbq restaurants in NC.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #50
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
NC BBQ isn't on the top of my list, actually. It's too mushy and just not all that great, IMO. That being siad, I still like it. So, this episode is particularly interesting.

I will never forget the first time I enjoyed Eastern NC BBQ. The gal waiting on me asked me if I wanted some "dee-up" (dip). I had no idea what she was talking about and her accent only made it worse. I asked several times "dee-up?" trying to figure out what she was saying. Finally, she shaked the sauce bottle in front of my face exclaiming "Dee-up! Dee-up!"

Great times, there!
I thought that was the way it was pronounced, of course people say we talk funny in this part of Virginia. LOL

Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #51
Market Hunter
On the road to being a farker

My only disappointment with this show, besides not being a part of it, is that is was not whole hog.

I think letting these cooks "do their thing" and let the judges call what parts they wanted ( "shoulder knuckle, jowl, bacon and loin please !" ) would have been a better representation of NC BBQ in general.

I must admit I have not watched the show yet and probably will have more opinions later when I do. I'm happy to see a new face in the NC bbq scene. If Zach is anything like his Dad, then he is a welcome addition indeed.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #52
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
Great to have some one of your caliber among us Tuffy! Welcome to the Brethren!!!

I figured some thing was wrong...I knew that you know better than to make a statement like that. That's what kills me about these show's...they are almost counter productive when you look at the whole picture if you're not getting all of the correct info, or the rest of the info is editted out. Just imagine the dissapointment of some one that tries a whole shoulder for the first time and realizes they are far from done after the 1st 5 hours!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #53
PatAttack

Quote:
Great to have some one of your caliber among us Tuffy! Welcome to the Brethren!!!

I figured some thing was wrong...I knew that you know better than to make a statement like that. That's what kills me about these show's...they are almost counter productive when you look at the whole picture if you're not getting all of the correct info, or the rest of the info is editted out. Just imagine the dissapointment of some one that tries a whole shoulder for the first time and realizes they are far from done after the 1st 5 hours!!!
I agree!! Don't be a stranger, Tuffy! Welcome to The Brethren!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #54
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Hunter View Post
I am going to drop a bomb on you Boshizzle...there are a lot of renown NC restaurants serving "Eastern NC BBQ" that cook their meats in....wait for it... electric ovens with no carbon fuels whatsoever being a part of the cook.

With this being said, I have heard more than 1 person (even a KCBS judge) reference a NC bbq restaurant and say they served Eastern NC BBQ. These electric cookers are basically saucing/seasoning their product after cooking it and, then later on, steaming it to serve.

Pete Jones doesn't use electric cookers. They do it right. I have paid for at least one of the 4 walls on their restaurants eating there when I was in school at Greenville. They easily rank in my top 5 bbq restaurants in NC.
I've heard the stories about the electric cookers.

But, I guess I make a distinction between BBQ cooked by someone who happens to be in NC and actual NC BBQ. You don't have to be in NC to cook NC BBQ. And, as we saw on this episode, just because you are in NC doesn't mean you can't cook KC style BBQ in NC.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #55
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Let's face it, BBQ isn't what it once was and these show's are just an extension of the changing times.
Perhaps in BBQ comps. and BBQ TV but I don't think that is necessarily true. There are still tons of people cooking traditional Q at least here in TX.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #56
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Perhaps in BBQ comps. and BBQ TV but I don't think that is necessarily true. There are still tons of people cooking traditional Q at least here in TX.

I don't necessarily disagree. I was refering more in the comp and tv area. I don't think that to many people are winning comps, at least KCBS style comps, cooking and offering "traditional" 'que.

Like I said, if the show wanted traditional NC style 'que, they wouldn't have given the teams whole pork belly.

So, in my mind, all bets are off and good for Sauceman's to think out side of the box seeing as he was given some thing out side of the norm.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #57
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
You don't have to be in NC to cook NC BBQ. And, as we saw on this episode, just because you are in NC doesn't mean you can't cook KC style BBQ in NC.
Thanks for your vote of confidence

The thing about NC BBQ is that there's really not too much going on TV-wise. Some people in NC are pretty self-conscious about that. For example. If you look at my Facebook profile my cover is a Eastern Carolina whole hog. That's what I cook and dang proud of it. On the NC BBQ SOCIETY page however, it's a slab of ribs looking all glazed like something out of Kansas City. Now if the NC BBQ SOCIETY isn't proud enough to toss a hog on their own Facebook cover, well....

The other thing is Carolina BBQ is austere. Kinda like sushi and steak.

If you went to the finest sushi joints in Japan, you will basically get sliced fish on rice. That's it. No champange reduction, no secret himalayan spices, no Dragon rolls.

If you wanted the best steak ever - dry-age a ribeye. Add salt. Add fire.

While these items are all great it makes for dull TV. People like secret tricks and secret rubs and layers and layers of complexity.

Not too many people really going to watch real NC BBQ being cooked -

Salt pig, crack beer, and shovel coal under til done.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #58
Boshizzle

I hear you but how many times can one watch ribs being slathered with honey, brown sugar, Parkay and Tiger sauce before you get tired of that too? Every time they have a show that requires ribs to be cooked that's pretty much what they present to the viewer.

I'd like to see something different for a change.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #59
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I hear you but how many times can one watch ribs being slathered with honey, brown sugar, Parkay and Tiger sauce before you get tired of that too? Every time they have a show that requires ribs to be cooked that's pretty much what they present to the viewer.

I'd like to see something different for a change.
I think that's why in season 2 they had all those obnoxious side challenges.

At this rate it's just gonna end up like top chef where they just end up smoking food from the vending machines for a challenge.

They should just do an Iron Chef style challenge.

Iron Pitmaster - Texas
Iron Pitmaster - Carolina

Today's secret ingredient - Armadillo!

Old 01-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #60
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

I really liked the BQ grills that two of the competitors were cookin on. They were BQs correct?