Cook space size?

woodburner

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What is the standard KCBS cook space size(s). I'm thinking of enclosed trailer and I'm considering a 24' with rear ramp. Can you guys give your pro's and con's of enclosed trailers. I can see first issues paying for multi spaces, anyone ever have problems with we're they stick you if you not cooking under a small tent.

Thanks
Woody

I don't think KCBS designates a standard space as that is up to the organizer. But around me 20x30 is pretty common. I got a camper this year and made sure the full length was at most 30' so I don't have to pay to get a bigger spot.

I think it's an event by event thing. I'm also looking for a toy hauler. And, plan to limit the length to 30ft.

Yes it varies from event to event. Several events we do around here, which could be some you might do only give 20x25 spots. Could get tight with a 20ft enclosed and a drop gate, so 24' might be to big but extra spots are always available. That can add up though.

KCBS doesn't have anything to do with space size at the contests - that's completely up to the organizer.

At some comps here in the Midwest you might get a 20' X 20' with your entry fee. Additional space is usually available for an extra charge BUT (and this is important!) the later that you wait to sign up the fewer large spots are left. If you want to be sure of having enough room get those entries in early. :grin:

In these parts I would expect to be paying an oversize site fee about half the time if I had a 24 foot trailer, and an upcharge for RV power about 2/3 of the time. When you go big, you really do need to arrive earlier in order to get a usable site AND have the room to maneuver into it.

A 24' with a beaver tail will not fit in a 30 foot site, especially if you have a team behind you - 24' + 6'6' door + 18" flap = ~32 of body alone. Be sure to take in the tongue length if not included in the overall.

It's really hard to use every single inch of your cook space and still have room to move around.

This is something I was wrestling with as well. I decided to go with the Grey Wolf 19RR toy hauler. It has a length of 23 feet. I am confident I can fit on a 20x30 space. I will have to unhitch the trailer but that isn't a big deal. I am going to an event in FL that has 20x20 spots. I asked them about more space and they said it was fine as long as I let them know ahead of time. I do think if you are going to be using that much space you need to arrive in the morning. I saw a guy last year roll in around 9pm with a big setup and he had a very tough time getting enough space.

Around here 20x30 is normal. I've got a 24' enclosed and never had a problem. Worst case we drop the rear door and unload the cooker then close it back up and finish backing the trailer in.

20'x40' is getting common around here - travel trailers, RV's and porch trailers are pretty common sights now. We use a 40' toy hauler RV at contests. Yes, sometimes we have to pay extra for a larger spot, and I'm happy to do so. I find (and more importantly my wife finds :becky: ) the capability and comfort of the larger rig outweighs the cost saving on entry fees.

In the KC area, be prepared to pay for a extra large space at some events. about 75% of what I cooked in this area had a standard size of 20x20, but you could pay extra for more space.

Back