MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:34 PM   #12571
fisherfrk
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguejim View Post
Alright, I'm very interested in what I've read here, although, I can't go through 800+ pages. So, I'll just ask a few questions, if that's alright.

I can get a 55-gal drum for $20. The only other significant expense I can think of is the charcoal basket, ball valve,and a grate. Maybe paying to have the drum sanded down? I'm trying to figure out if it would be more cost effective to go the Big Poppa Drum Kit route, or piece it together. Any help? I only have a Weber 22.5" kettle, so, a drum would give me a pretty versatile, and inexpensive arsenal, I think. Thanks.
I am totally sold on making my own. Drums burn out really well and after a good burn, most of the outside paint is gone. I found a great deal on ball valves on e-bay, 10 for 42.99. If you have a 22.5, you have a dome lid for the smoker, 90% fit easily, if they don't fit on the top of closed barrels, they will fit on the bottom. The only other costs are the bolts, the nipples, and the grates.

The basket is the toughest. I use 2" expanded cut to 8" x 4 ft. that wraps perfectly around the charcoal grate from an 18" webber kettle. I have been using hog rings to put it together and it seems to make a very clean basket. I finish it off with a 16" pizza pan to catch ash and 3" bolts for the legs. about 12 bucks in the basket.

Good luck, if you want to take it to the next level, get a guru for it.
fisherfrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #12572
wdpope1
Got Wood.

Has any one ever made a wood lid for there UDS I`m a carpenter and have the skills and ability to make a lid out of wood
wdpope1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #12573
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdpope1 View Post
Has any one ever made a wood lid for there UDS I`m a carpenter and have the skills and ability to make a lid out of wood
I have not seen one - I saw one knucklehead using a 1/2 sheet of plywood. should work fine - if you make one be sure and post pics

Old 11-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #12574
Dick Danger
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Building a 110 gallon UDS. I wanted to have two grates one 14" down and one 7" down. This is what I came up with. I used eye bolts to support the grate on the U bolts. Bottom grate is around 25" above the bottom of the charcoal basket. Using three more eye bolts to support the top grate which sits directly on the lower grate. Not ideal, but 14" down was right in the middle of the middle drum roll and I didn't want to drill into the curve. I hope to have it smoking by Sunday.

[IMG]110 gallon UDS by getinmyhead, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by getinmyhead, on Flickr[/IMG]

Dick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #12575
Wahoo95
On the road to being a farker

Just finished this one today for a guy that's a Cowboys fan. Set him.up with a Weber Lid and a Flat Lid.

Wahoo95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-30-2015, 06:26 PM   #12576
BeginnerBBQ

Looks good! Is the logo a magnet or a sticker. Does the heat affect it? I'm assuming if its a magnet you take it off when your cooking. Sorry for my ignorance I've seen similar things elsewhere but never known what was used. I was going to get a stencil and use engine enamel high temp spray paint for a logo but wanted to look into options.
BeginnerBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2015, 06:18 AM   #12577
Wahoo95
On the road to being a farker

Used a car magnet for the logo. Should hold up to cooking temps but I told him it'll probably last longer if he removes it during cooking. Lots of folks use magnets to control air flow so it should hold up fine.
Wahoo95 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #12578
BeginnerBBQ

Default First Build

Ok, I will be venturing on my first UDS build over Christmas. I am pretty excited. I will have access to a ton of metal working tools (my father-in-law runs an autobody shop) but from what I can gather (as I try to find important info on this huge thread) it will be best to just keep it really simple especially since this is my first build. Does anyone have any other tips/things to avoid for a first build to make it a successful build?
Thanks

Old 12-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #12579
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

K.I.S.S. Best part about a uds is you can always modify it. Do yourself a favor, read the thread. Good luck and post pics!

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #12580
fmaster360

I am in the process of burning my ethanol drum out. It had tan paint inside. It's been burning four about 4 hours now, and the pictures are the current state. Trying to decide if it's good once the fire stops, if I should do another burn tomorrow, or if I should just hit it with a weed burner tomorrow. Thanks in advance! Hoping to finish putting it together Saturday and smoking Sunday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160121_130701.jpg (70.2 KB, 728 views)
File Type: jpg 20160121_130653.jpg (69.4 KB, 732 views)

Old 01-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #12581
fmaster360

Here's the current state. Was having a really tough time using the weed burner inside the barrel. How does it look? Ready to clean out with some soap and water, then assemble?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160122_133626.jpg (79.1 KB, 699 views)
File Type: jpg 20160122_133616.jpg (57.4 KB, 699 views)

Old 02-01-2016, 04:17 AM   #12582
blockhd
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Rok

Just a quick advice i got for guys wanting to grill on uds. For me it works a lot better if i put the basket on the floor instead of lifting it up higher closer to the grate. When I did that, meat was pretty much browned(burned) all over, but if i do the floor thing, i get a really nice grate charring, which i haven't been able to achieve with coals really close to the grate. I believe that is because too much oxygen gets to the coals and the heat is just overwhelming.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #12583
TXBronco
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Deaver

I'm in the process. Burned it once last summer, sand blasting for free this weekend. I cannot get all of the liner out. Also, where can I find a dome lid without having to buy a Weber. While I would love to have a Weber, both are not in the budget. I guess I could look at Walmart for some other cheap off brand. My flat lid is warped so I'm trying to figure out what it needs to work but it'd be nice to have both.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #12584
fmaster360

Dude, get another cheap drum, and use that as a lid. Check this out. Sometimes it won't seal properly, so if you use aluminum foil as a gasket, it's perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160124_104320.jpg (40.1 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg 20160124_100825.jpg (31.2 KB, 604 views)
File Type: jpg 20160124_184505.jpg (84.9 KB, 602 views)

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2016, 12:28 PM   #12585
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo95 View Post
Just finished this one today for a guy that's a Cowboys fan. Set him.up with a Weber Lid and a Flat Lid.

My vote for best. drum. ever.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker