MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #706
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

From the lack of posts today im hoping you are too busy making AND selling bbq! ;)
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #707
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
From the lack of posts today im hoping you are too busy making AND selling bbq! ;)
Yep, I couldn't say it better my self. I hope you got the go ahead today.

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #708
bigben800
Got Wood.

Hope it all works out. I enjoy this thread a lot!! From a fellow small business owner, trust me when I say your biggest headaches will come when you grow to the point you need to hire EMPLOYEES. Be as selective as you can, because they represent you, and will make or break you. You can't be the lone ranger forever.
bigben800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #709
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
Just found this prophetic quote from your very first post in this thread.
Hard to believe how accurate that was, and how long ago that was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Nope. **** hit the fan today. Mentally, I'm on the verge of breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben800 View Post
Hope it all works out. I enjoy this thread a lot!! From a fellow small business owner, trust me when I say your biggest headaches will come when you grow to the point you need to hire EMPLOYEES. Be as selective as you can, because they represent you, and will make or break you. You can't be the lone ranger forever.
That's actually the worst part. I've got employees already, great people, and they came into this expecting to, and needing to work and make some money for their families before the holidays. And seeing the disappointment in their faces when I tell them I won't need them to work because we can't open (again and again) can bring a grown man to tears.

So I'm stepping away for a bit. I need to collect myself or I'm going to lose my mind. Apologizing to dozens of people every day about how you're not open or able to sell them food, all the while you're pissing thousands of dollars down the drain is just too much.

My wife, who is thankfully an attorney, has gone so far as to begin the legal work to sue my initial general contractor. Ultimately, had he known enough to pull the right permit from the beginning, none of this would be an issue. So the lost revenue, months of added expenses, and all of that, maybe we can get some of that back.

This whole thing is ridiculous and absurd.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #710
bigben800
Got Wood.

Don't lose the force man. Those folks can find another gig. You aren't ruining their lives I promise you. I have had to cycle through employees again and again, some come back, some don't, some you fire and glad to be rid of. Remember you are running a business, and it ain't labor finders brother. Keep your head up, always remember that. If I were you I would go do something you like to do tomorrow other than the restaraunt. Sometimes you can get so frustrated with something you will hate it. When you start to hate it, start filling out your resume. Everyone believes in you, and nothing we say will make you feel better, but don't lose sight of the forest amongst all the little trees.
bigben800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #711
SkinEz
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Skinny

Been reading this thread off and on. Hoping to finally see where you are up and running. Looks like you have a good product, and a good plan. Dont be discouraged. Just remember everyone has a plan. Its how people react to their plans when plan b, c, d, e, f, g, and h fail. Plan i may be where everything comes together, and you will look back on the hard work and be thankful. Keep your head up, and good luck.
SkinEz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #712
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Just saw your post on my thread. Pretty late out there so try to get some rest man. I know it's easier said than done but it'll work itself out eventually. Believe me when I say I've been there when the world was bearing down my back. Wish you luck brother.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #713
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

So sorry brother. Your concern for others is what will make you great once this thing finally gets going.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:14 AM   #714
bo_mull
Got rid of the matchlight.

Here in Tennessee I dont think a general contractor can pull a permit for ventilation system unless they have an HVAC endorsement on their contractors license. It might be different in Michigan but have you tried to contact some HVAC contractors to see if they could help you out? We had a store open up here in town that cooked and served food in the back. They had some ventilation hoods installed but the installers didn't have a license and could not pull a permit. The mechanical inspector shut them down until a licensed contractor pulled a permit. They were dead in the water for over 2 months till they contacted me. I called the inspector and he told me that the install was good and it would pass inspection, I just had to finish connecting the duct and pull the chain hoist off. So I pulled the permit and it was only $35.00. Needless to say I got a real good tip from the owner when the inspector signed off on the install. If I was licensed in Michigan, I would come up there and pull a permit for you.
bo_mull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #715
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hang in there Brother!
We are all pulling for you in spirit

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #716
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

I read your FB post this morning. That sucks. As a small business owner myself, I know how hard it can be sometimes. Just remember, if it was easy, everybody would do it. Remember what made you want to do this in the first place. You have too much invested in this (time, money, sanity) to give up now. Keep plugging away and in a couple of months when you are busy as F, you will start to forget about all the problems and delays. Your employees can see you are doing everything you can.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #717
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

[QUOTE=marubozo;2484507]
Sure, you may very well get done with everything sooner, but err on the side of caution because there's nothing worse than having high hopes to be open by a certain date and then encounter delay after delay, and having to constantly tell people the grand opening is going to be later and later.

.[QUOTE]

It's like to could see the future when you wrote that first post. Keep your head up. You are almost there!!!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #718
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Keep your chin up. Maybe make a menu item called the "Government" and warn people it comes with a really long wait time!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #719
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

Can you tell us what the delay now is? Was the guy you found a couple days ago not able to pull the permit? Will the inspector not approve it? This just seems way too difficult (as you probably feel too).

Old 12-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #720
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrvp View Post
Can you tell us what the delay now is? Was the guy you found a couple days ago not able to pull the permit? Will the inspector not approve it? This just seems way too difficult (as you probably feel too).
Oh, I got somebody to pull the permit, but the mechanical inspector hasn't approved it yet because he wants to "research" it first. Apparently he's afraid I'm going to burn the entire county down or something. But for fark's sake, it's just a self-contained unit attached to a concrete wall. It isn't rocket science.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote