MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
bluzieq
Full Fledged Farker

Default what would a offset firebox do to a vertical

I have a new abs bar be cube, the firebox is below the racks (4 sliders 1 on top) if I wanted to cook all one meat like ribs or chicken etc... to make it even temps from top to bottom if I have a firebox made to attach to front and use the attached screw lathes to hold it tight what would be the benefit? I would use the heat transfer plates that came with the smoker , I can get one made to look like the cube with a double walled top (so not to burn you when opening door) for abt 200 bucks, am I over modifying this? are over mods really possible???? I could possibly be nuts here like my wife says.
bluzieq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

My practical side agrees with your Bride,My adventuresome side says go for it life is to short to feast on plain white bread. I know not much help

Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

My advice? Why fix what ain't broke? ABS makes good stuff so mods might not be in your interest.
If you want to experiment with an offset vertical, then try building one or buy a cheap brinkmann square vertical and add a fire box to the backside.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Wouldn't that be almost like a Bandera? Your biggest problem will be getting the heat evenly dispersed in the smoke chamber. The heat will want to go up the wall closest to the fire box.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

As somebody who is currently saving up for that very cube, I have to say leave it!

Unless you have a problem with it that you are trying to remedy...

Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
bluzieq
Full Fledged Farker

I think you guys are saving me 200 dollars. this thing cooks good, I need to keep trying to even it out. The firebox was to be an add on/take off deal and keep the original too.my wheels are always turning to try different stuff, thats why I have six grills/smokers! sounds like a subscription to the brethren is my best deal. thanks for all the help

Old 01-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
bluzieq
Full Fledged Farker

just got the subscription,I encourage everyone to do so. This site has given me more info than anywhere else. Thanks to all

Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
roadog30
Found some matches.

If you have the cube or have looked at one, you know that the fire box slides out on steel guides. I sent the manufacture a draft CAD drawing of a insert offset fire box that slides in place of the existing firebox. I was hoping they would make one for me for a price, but they never responded. I can't say I blame them though, the smoker is awesome as is. I am still going to try it... As I like the idea of running bigger splits in the offset, gaining me longer sustained burns at the right temp. The minion method works great on this smoker and is bullet proof... but i also run it with all wood... just keep the fire small and hot while adding very small splits as needed to maintain temp, all vents open. It's all about tinkering, I like playing with these ideas.
roadog30 is offline   Reply With Quote