MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #7351
BuckHunter83
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Here is my drum! I want to be able to reuse the lid after I cut it off. Should I cut the lid on top or on the the side of the drum below the lip?

BuckHunter83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #7352
righteousdog
On the road to being a farker

did a 20" ashpan mod on the twins today. used to have 16" 'za pans but i wanted to go big for when i get the 17" coal rings fab'd...if i ever do since i can easily go 15 hours with this setup. guess i'm obligated to trial it. i so dislike meat and fire...

Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #7353
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

What did you use for the ash pan?
dataz722 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #7354
stglide

@ BuckHunter.... I cut the inside of mine, and then took the grinder to smooth all the edges. Weber top hammered out and molded back to fit, added a stove gasket around the top, and good to go!
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #7355
righteousdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
What did you use for the ash pan?
it's a 20" pizza pan. the 16 worked fine, was cheap & readily available, but if i'm not q'ing more often than not i find myself mod-ing.

on a long burn the 16 fills up - not a choking issue just more cleanup

Old 01-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #7356
yobtaf

Ok read this thing and now I need one. Picked up this drum that had apple juice in it today. $15 the guy has about 100 or more here in Apple Valley Ca. Looks like just paint on the inside of it. Flat lid with ring but no holes in it.
IMG_8784.jpg

IMG_8785.jpg

Old 01-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #7357
SwampassJ
Found some matches.

Burned out my drum today and started wire wheeling it. Holy **** this is thing is taking for ever to wire wheel out. I've spent about 40 minutes and I've only managed to remove the top 1/3rd of the barrels liner and my hands are killing me now from holding on the drill.

Am I missing a valuable tip in this thread about doing this? And after doing the top 1/3 I'm dreading getting down to the bottom. Am I going to have to lie down with my head in the barrel? I don't want to spend 40 minutes bent at the waste trying to reach the bottom.
SwampassJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #7358
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ View Post
Burned out my drum today and started wire wheeling it. Holy **** this is thing is taking for ever to wire wheel out. I've spent about 40 minutes and I've only managed to remove the top 1/3rd of the barrels liner and my hands are killing me now from holding on the drill.

Am I missing a valuable tip in this thread about doing this? And after doing the top 1/3 I'm dreading getting down to the bottom. Am I going to have to lie down with my head in the barrel? I don't want to spend 40 minutes bent at the waste trying to reach the bottom.
The tip is don't get a barrel with a liner

Old 01-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #7359
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:

I'm thinking about sandblasting. I'm wondering how much it would cost to have a barrel sandblasted?

Old 01-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #7360
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckHunter83 View Post
Here is my drum! I want to be able to reuse the lid after I cut it off. Should I cut the lid on top or on the the side of the drum below the lip?

If you want to use the lid you're going to need a drum with a removable lid, the kind with the locking ring.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #7361
SwampassJ
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
The tip is don't get a barrel with a liner
Barrel was free so I couldn't afford to be picky. Especially down here where everyone is selling the plastic barrels on craigslist.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #7362
BuckHunter83
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
If you want to use the lid you're going to need a drum with a removable lid, the kind with the locking ring.
Thanks, I figured that out today. I got the top cut out, intake holes drilled, and bolts in for my rack. Hope to get it burned out this week. I'm ready for some bbq!
BuckHunter83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #7363
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:

Buy a new, unlined barrel with lid for $50.00.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #7364
boakley
Found some matches.

Quote:

If you are still working on it, I used a weed burner before wire brushing, it made very quick work of the inside liner, heat it from the outside and it will burn the inside liner off. If you put the torch inside, it will just burn out as it consumes the oxygen so rapidly.

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ter-91037.html
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #7365
SwampassJ
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boakley View Post
If you are still working on it, I used a weed burner before wire brushing, it made very quick work of the inside liner, heat it from the outside and it will burn the inside liner off. If you put the torch inside, it will just burn out as it consumes the oxygen so rapidly.

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ter-91037.html
Just getting home to take a crack at it again today. I might go get my Bayou Classic burner out and rig a way to hold just the burner up to the outside of the stand.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker