MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #7636
coop
Found some matches.

Got the first butt out on my UDS a couple of hours ago. I followed the KISS model for my first one. Most all of the parts were scavenged from my in-laws and my garage.

Future projects include the bottle opener mod, a dome lid when I find one,maybe some graphics, a dolly or some type wheel setup, and a rain abatement system (maybe the " Mary Poppins" mod?).

Thanks for all of the advice so far. Pron when it gets done.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 02:19 AM   #7637
cgarrit
Knows what a fatty is.

quick question. does a uds have to be lifted off the ground for some reason ? I'm going to put casters on mine but is there a reason for it to be off the ground ? does it help during cooks ?

Old 03-24-2011, 02:59 AM   #7638
Mossberg
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have read thru about half this thread and i didnt see anything like this (might be in the other half) I am trying to make the coal basket, have a piece of 3/4' #9 8" wide x55" long expando steel, and i am having a hard time shaping it. What is the best way to roll the expando around my cooking grate? I dont have a vice, or anything else i could use to keep it in place. Also i cant find any hog nose rings and i cant weld, would bailing wire work? Any help even a thread posting about this would be great. thanks

Here is my build thus far. Thinking of cutting about a 8-10" extension from the bottom drum. As i dont have a kettle lid.

Marked the spot for 4 3/4" holes 2 inches from the bottom

Holes Drilled

No bung so i drilled 6 7/8" holes for exhaust.

Moss
Mossberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #7639
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

I've tried rolling the stuff around various round objects, but it's too springy. I just step on it and force it gradually in to shape- wear gloves! Once I get it somewhat round, you can ratchet it tighter with vise-grips. Each time you force it tighter, clamp the over-lapping section so you can get a new bite. Once you have the size you want, you can simply bolt it together using large flat washers to span the holes. I'm getting ready to build another one soon; maybe I'll try to do a pictorial.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #7640
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Noticed you still have the orange liner in there.......you planning to burn it out or sandblast. Those can be hard to deal with.

Regarding the expanded steel....depending on the size of your ring, you can try bending it around a propane tank. Kind of like using the propane tank as a bending brake. And like someone else stated.....wear GLOVES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
I have read thru about half this thread and i didnt see anything like this (might be in the other half) I am trying to make the coal basket, have a piece of 3/4' #9 8" wide x55" long expando steel, and i am having a hard time shaping it. What is the best way to roll the expando around my cooking grate? I dont have a vice, or anything else i could use to keep it in place. Also i cant find any hog nose rings and i cant weld, would bailing wire work? Any help even a thread posting about this would be great. thanks
smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #7641
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

If you cut it so the "long diamond" is horizontal it's a lot more difficult, I learned this the hard way. For mine, I used an old 16" tire rim and three pairs of vice grips and a heavy hammer and rolled it around the rim and welded it.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #7642
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Being off the ground does not help in cooking. The only reason for doing this is to create an air space under the drum so you don't burn anything under it or to prevent the drum from rusting if on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarrit View Post
quick question. does a uds have to be lifted off the ground for some reason ? I'm going to put casters on mine but is there a reason for it to be off the ground ? does it help during cooks ?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #7643
Jeff S.
Full Fledged Farker

Default Hot Enuff?

Should have seen the other one...

Jeff S

Trailer'd LownSlo 48" x 20" with a Char-Broil Grill
Hinged Dome UDS, Weber Kettle lid UDS
Weber Performer
[COLOR=red]Red (Super Lightning Fast)Lithium-Ion powered ThermoPen[/COLOR]
2 Modded ET-73's 2 stock '73's
IGrill
WSBA, PNWBA, KCBS, KCBS CBJ
It's the I behind the Eye that see's
Jeff S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #7644
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

OK, finally got enough pics together to show the UDS of my dreams.

Clean 55 gal drum:

Charcoal basket:

Complete unit with $25.00 Academy kettle lid:

Basket ready for duty:

Cooking grates with lid hanging on side:

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)

Last edited by El Ropo; 03-24-2011 at 06:26 PM..
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #7645
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^^^^^^ I would use a torch to get the paint off the coat hanger before you use it, or get an unpainted hanger. Nice build!!!
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #7646
pigwacker
Found some matches.

Default bending expanded metal reply

"I have read thru about half this thread and i didnt see anything like this (might be in the other half) I am trying to make the coal basket, have a piece of 3/4' #9 8" wide x55" long expando steel, and i am having a hard time shaping it. What is the best way to roll the expando around my cooking grate? I dont have a vice, or anything else i could use to keep it in place. Also i cant find any hog nose rings and i cant weld, would bailing wire work? Any help even a thread posting about this would be great. thanks"

Mossberg - I started my first one with gloved hands and a boot and then used a come-a-long hooked end to end around the metal. I used the all thread to pull it on around and hold it, but I used the needle nose visegrips to make final adjustments to line it up. The vise grips come in handy when you get close. I welded mine, so I tried to line it up so that the ends met. It took me a couple hours fiddlin' with it, before I got to where I could weld it.

I have made 3 more but I had the rosebud from the acetylene torch to heat and bend. It took me about 15 minutes to heat and bend the metal.
pigwacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #7647
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog043 View Post
^^^^^^^^ I would use a torch to get the paint off the coat hanger before you use it, or get an unpainted hanger. Nice build!!!
Thanks.

I did a 6 hour test burn the first night I had it built. Played with temps, and got used to the intake(s). Had her up to almost 500 at one point, I'm thinking whatever was on that coat hanger was toast! The wood chunks were what I consider "culls", pieces that appeared to be really old, or moldy, feel lighter than they should etc. So I put 'em to good use.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #7648
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Whaaaahoooooaahhhhh! I finally finished read the whole thing!

Thank you for all your input. I have learned many things durring this process. I have purchased two 55 gallon drums. I am going to apply what I have learned.

gmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #7649
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Here is my design. I took one of my drawings to a local machine/welding shop. They made me a charcoal basket. waaay too expensive. $100. With the other work i wanted done they wanted another $300! OK. so i bought my own used small Oxy Acetylene setup. Cheaper than their work and i'll own it afterwords.

Last edited by gmatt; 09-25-2012 at 08:12 PM..
gmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #7650
righteousdog
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
Here is my design. I took one of my drawings to a local machine/welding shop. They made me a charcoal basket. waaay too expensive. $100. With the other work i wanted done they wanted another $300!

good call on buying the tool instead...or 100+300=WSM

the sectional part is cool, but i don't like the access doors...they're just not needed on a UDS.

that said, i am a fan of ingenuity and building/modding stuff...

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker