MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #31
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
Soooooooooo.......where are the intake and exhaust controls on this beast???
On that note, this is large scale grilling, not smoking.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #32
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
You'd better watch for those PBC's at a comp. Someone with one could just beat ya at chicken at the very least.....or maybe even a few other categories too!
Bob

Back to the topic!
When that day happens, that team is more than welcome to come tell me "I told ya so" and I will just laugh and offer them a beer. I dont expect it to be anytime soon BTW! And even if it does, I done had my arse whooped up and down the cookoff scene, wouldnt be any different to me, it happens to everyone. Heck RangerJ smoked us in ribs at a comp once in Columbus,tx of nearly 40 teams and with the very exact same recipe and glaze we took a 1st out of 108. I have always said that a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, and its likely to happen at a comp. Now as far as my fancy pits, I earned those through hard work, trial and error, failed cooks and never asked a single person for help, Because I did the research, I paid for the meat on the failed cooks and at the end of the day, still had a ice cold miller in my hand. I'm not in any manner hating on any newbie for experimenting with a new brand, cook method etc. I will gladly help anyone with any BBQ related problem they are having, I answer a bunch of emails every day. I just have a problem with people endorsing the new kid on the block when it ain't proven itself yet just because they got a freebie

Last edited by jmoney7269; 02-10-2013 at 12:40 AM..
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #33
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
When that day happens, that team is more than welcome to come tell me "I told ya so" and I will just laugh and offer them a beer. I do t expect it to be anytime soon btw! And even if it does, I done had my arse whooped up and down the cookoff scene, wouldnt be any different to me, it happens to everyone. Now as far as my fancy pits, I earned those through hard work, trial and error, failed cooks and never asked a single person for help, Because I did the research, I paid for the meat on the failed cooks and at the end of the day, still had a ice cold miller in my hand. I'm not in any manner hating on any newbie for experimenting with a new brand, cook method etc. I will gladly help anyone with any BBQ related problem they are having.

Most times, it sounds like you are "belittling" and not helping at all.(I'm talkin as a member, if I talked as a Moderator, I'd have a different approach based on the other posts, threads, etc that we've had to intervene in when you were involved.) Too bad you had to fail at all those cooks at the beginning and waste all the good meat. I guess you are truely 'all self made' in all aspects. Like you said, it's happened before, you have gotten schooled and whooped in the comp circuit, what should a "fancy" pit have anything to do with it? Lastly, when you address members the way you do, here and in other subforums, it DOES come across and "hating" or if I dare say, as a "belittling know it all."
As far as this FORUM is concerned, that's where OUR issues with your comments begin.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 AM   #34
BobBrisket

Quote:
When that day happens, that team is more than welcome to come tell me "I told ya so" and I will just laugh and offer them a beer. I dont expect it to be anytime soon BTW! And even if it does, I done had my arse whooped up and down the cookoff scene, wouldnt be any different to me, it happens to everyone. Heck RangerJ smoked us in ribs at a comp once in Columbus,tx of nearly 40 teams and with the very exact same recipe and glaze we took a 1st out of 108. I have always said that a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, and its likely to happen at a comp. Now as far as my fancy pits, I earned those through hard work, trial and error, failed cooks and never asked a single person for help, Because I did the research, I paid for the meat on the failed cooks and at the end of the day, still had a ice cold miller in my hand. I'm not in any manner hating on any newbie for experimenting with a new brand, cook method etc. I will gladly help anyone with any BBQ related problem they are having, I answer a bunch of emails every day. I just have a problem with people endorsing the new kid on the block when it ain't proven itself yet just because they got a freebie
Like you said, it's new, it's shiny........all sorts of things get endorsed on this forum. That's how people learn about em. Instead of having a problem with it, there are two things you can do: buy one, try it, and judge for yourself.(good or bad) If you don't want to go that ROUTE, then don't bash or belittle those that have. How the hell else is the NEW kid on the block supposta make a name for himself? There are others out there that are trying to make themselves "self made" too in other areas. If anyone can appreciate that, it would be you.
If you are under the assumption that it's because it's a FREEBIE it's forced material, tell that to the folks that paid for one. It's getting proved here on the forum each day.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #35
jmoney7269
Banned

Like I said, I'm willing to help anyone. And to my knowledge you have only had to intervene once in any of my postings, and that's just Because the cyber bully that started all of it got a dose of his own medicine. I have never talked down to a member or of a member. People like the ones you recently banned always have an open invitation to a face to face with me, but I doubt that will ever happen either. So don't put this solely on me Becaise some members have problems with a pit that any knowledgable person could point out before hand. If you wanna help, help! Don't go pointing fingers at me!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #36
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Wow, from what I read lately about the PBC SHEEPLE is that once someone of significance in the bbq world endorses a product, everyone goes and buys it! What ever happened to just doing the research, seeing how something g operates in real life and if it fits your budget, buy it. This is how I grew up bbqing. Burning down wood to coals in large fire pits, cooking for hundreds of people, if you can manage this his amount of coals, you can manage any pit. Any good pitmaster knows a good pit has to have an adjustable intake and exhaust to learn to regulate the temps depending on their geographic location and type of fuel for heat and if the situation warrants different wood for smoke. Whatever happened to the true pitmasters that learned from trial and error, And did what worked for them, not what everyone else says to do. IMO when the new shiny wears off PBC, they will just be another shadow.

And we didn't burn one bit of the chicken!

You gotta cook by feel, that's the only way you can call yourself a true pitmaster. I dont wanna put words in any particular members mouth, but I have a feeling they will agree with this underlying message.
Well, congratulations. You just won the award for one of the most arrogant posts ever to grace the pages of our forum.

Oh, wait, we have no award for that.. probably because attitudes like that are not what we're about here.

First, lets address the term "PBC Sheeple"..in your opening sentence, which set the tone for the rest of your drivel. The PBC is a somehat new product, and if its not, then at least to us here it is.. The frenzey started with a few members excitement after buying the unit and posting their findings here... This was the same type of excitment when the 22inch WSM came out, or when we did a group buy for XL-BGE... members buy products, and post about it. Its what we are about, and to label or belittle anyone who is posting about new products is out of line. What do you think it would do to a new member, who found us in a google search for the PBC, or any product, only to find your post. Do you think they will start posting about, or asking about it after seeing an established member labeling those that are doing exactly what they came here to do? Probably not.

So, lets break down your post... a bunch of members review a product, and give it a proverbial a+.. then it comes along with a crazy discount thru kingsford.. which makes even more people buy it, and give it good reviews.. and the discount still stands.. Then, folks discover that the builders customer service is top notch.. which gives it even more credibility.... and MORE people by it...... and based on all the good press, even I by a batch... to the tune of 5 of them to give away as gifts to our staff.. it fit the budget and gave us a chance to see what all the hoopla is about.. and guess what! The first 20 folks were right..

Then you, in your unfounded infinite wisdom, come along and call those that bought the product, and know it first hand, "sheeple"..? Oh, get over yourself. Theres a Bandera Pit crew that you would fit into perfectly, but your attitude sucks for here.

Moving right along.. your next little tidbit....
Quote:
'What ever happened to just doing the research, seeing how something g operates in real life and if it fits your budget, buy it. This is how I grew up bbqing.'
Hmm.. research.. sounds like..?
Look something up on the internet.. find good reviews??? Check!
Track down some folks that have it, talk to them.. Do they like it? Yes? Check!
Go to Manufacturer site, check pricing.. find sale.. Fit Budget? YES! Check!

By your very own definition, the 'sheeple' did exactly what you say you have done growing up... Welcome to the club.

Now, the fun one. Did you read a book or something? or just watch alot of BBQ Pitmasters Season 1-3.

Quote:
Burning down wood to coals in large fire pits, cooking for hundreds of people, if you can manage this his amount of coals, you can manage any pit. Any good pitmaster knows a good pit has to have an adjustable intake and exhaust to learn to regulate the temps depending on their geographic location and type of fuel for heat and if the situation warrants different wood for smoke.
What a load of crap. A pit master can cook on ANYTHING period. Show me the adjustable intake and exhaust on a hole in the ground with a pig on a spit 2 feet above it. Show me the intake and exhaust on a cinder block pit, with a sheet steel roof and cooking a side of beef. Wheres the intake and exhaust on a caja china(do u even know what that is?) A pitmaster can make a pit out of anything, anywhere, and make it work. You thinking you need an intake and exhaust proves you have alot to learn. A pitmaster is someone who can cook on anything you throw at him and overcome challenges with a cool head.

RE: Geographic Location.
You show me a 'pitmaster' who told you they give a rats ass about there geographic location (or even the available wood)and I will show you someone who is playing you and has made an accurate assessment that they can.

Seems you think you know alot, but actually still have alot to learn. My recommendation is to start watching and absorbing, and stop repeating what you think will impress people.

Quote:
Whatever happened to the true pitmasters that learned from trial and error, And did what worked for them, not what everyone else says to do.
Youre surrounded by them, just to full of yourself to notice.

Now, with all this being said, and considering your recent history and pissing contest with redneck cooker who earned himself a lockout, while you were given the benefit of the doubt, I would ditch the mightier than thou attitude before your next post.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #37
jmoney7269
Banned

Do you feel better?

Old 02-10-2013, 01:18 AM   #38
BobBrisket

Quote:
Like I said, I'm willing to help anyone. And to my knowledge you have only had to intervene once in any of my postings, and that's just Because the cyber bully that started all of it got a dose of his own medicine. I have never talked down to a member or of a member. People like the ones you recently banned always have an open invitation to a face to face with me, but I doubt that will ever happen either. So don't put this solely on me Becaise some members have problems with a pit that any knowledgable person could point out before hand. If you wanna help, help! Don't go pointing fingers at me!
Nah, has nothing to do with that ONE incident. Now I'm talking as a Moderator, there were others, there were several reports too. I am pointing fingers at you. Not just in this thread, but in others.
My advice, if you are going to help someone in QT, Comp, etc, then help and offer REAL (earnest) advice, not just, "I know it all, and learned it on my own...........now you figure it out." If that's the case, stay out of the thread.
Lastly, I realize I'm speaking for Phil here, but there is no reason for you to have a problem with promoting of any kind on the forum. The day it costs you any money out of pocket when it comes to promoting here, then you have a problem with it. Otherwise, that's part of what this place is all about. If you have issues with someone "promoting" take that up with Phil, if I spoke incorrectly in his place, he will let YOU and me know about it.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #39
BobBrisket

Quote:
Do you feel better?
Just what I thought...............
Actually, telling you that you are full of it, makes ME feel a helluva lot better. Thanks for asking!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #40
BBQchef33

Quote:
I just have a problem with people endorsing the new kid on the block when it ain't proven itself yet just because they got a freebie
Specifically and factually, who do you know got a 'freebie'.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 02-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #41
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Old 02-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #42
BobBrisket

Quote:
I think you are still stuck on GRILLING, my friend. Since when is a UDS 'fancy?' Real Drum Heads would never say their drum is fancy. Come on, man!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=141568
Ya don't earn a drum...........ya build it and then prove yer worth on it! That has yet to be proven! Ya shoulda grilled that steak on a cinder block pit, boy! Sorry, just still got your video on my mind.

Bob

Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #43
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friscoag View Post
My only REAL complaint is that I can't shut it down without some sort of mod. So it just runs till its out of charcoal, not a big deal but I'd like to be able to shut it down quicker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post
Im not to big on the PBC scene, but wtf?????? you cant shut it down whenever you want?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
I "shut down" mine tonight with ease. No mods either. Take balls of tin foil ( could even be left over used foil from the cook) and ram it into the intake and rebar holes to block up air flow. Mine went cold within 35 minutes.
i put an old 2" strap across the top of mine.(like a ratchet strap, but no ratchet). When im done, I put the rebar into the barrel and slide the strap up to cover the holes and the bottom vent gets closed with a magnet.

The charcoal basket has a handle, you can also just take out the basket and dump it.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #44
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
i put an old 2" strap across the top of mine.(like a ratchet strap, but no ratchet). When im done, I put the rebar into the barrel and slide the strap up to cover the holes and the bottom vent gets closed with a magnet.

The charcoal basket has a handle, you can also just take out the basket and dump it.
All good ideas on the PBC shut down. I pondered shut down ideas but instead am experimenting with using way less fuel due to how efficiently it cooks. I've gotten 7-8 hours of solid temp out of 1/2 basket and 12 lit.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #45
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
What ever happened to just doing the research, seeing how something g operates in real life and if it fits your budget, buy it. This is how I grew up bbqing. Burning down wood to coals in large fire pits, cooking for hundreds of people,

Shucks! I wish I had seen this useful post before I spent $225.00 on my PBC!

It would have made way more sense for me to invest thousands of dollars in time and materials to "burn down wood to coals in large fire pits & cook for hundreds of people" BEFORE I spent my $225.00 and came to the same conclusion when I tried the PBC one time.

I'm actually looking to buy a new toaster oven, I WAS going to look at different models on consumer reports or read reviews on Amazon, but now, I see it would make more sense for me to get a masters degree in electrical engineering and blah, blah, blah, before I spend $60 dollars on a toaster oven that others say is good.

Please don't take this post as a "jab," I am truly impressed that you cooked for a hundred people; can you please post more pics of the people?
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote