MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Vending v. Catering. What's different?

I have picked up a vending gig for July 4-5. I have been talking to the event organiser for about 5 mos. concerning his event. I t will be an "Americana" Show. Chainsaw wood carvers, quilters, black powder demos, and bluegrass music. I will be the only BBq vendor on site. The event is expected to draw 500-1000 people per day.

I have very little (none) vending experience, but am hoping my experience with catering can carry me through.
Out of expected turn out#'s. What % of those can I plan to provide food for? With catering I always know how many I'm feeding. This is a big risk. But, I'm hoping for great rewards.

Any help is appreciated.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Think McDonalds. Get them a sandwich and get them on their way. Have enough help and have a process.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Shane - Sending you a pm

Old 04-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
we'll smoke u
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Think McDonalds. Get them a sandwich and get them on their way. Have enough help and have a process.
What Todd said Shane. As for how much there are a lot of variables like weather, other BBQ guy's, how many vendors and Location. These are something to look at.

KCBS MEMBER #24303
COUNTRY SMOKER 570 PELLET FEEDER
ONE SMALL HOME MADE VERTICAL
WEBER KETTLE GOLD 221/2
WEBER BABYQ
we'll smoke u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
midnight
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Todd

I started doing vendor jobs before I ever did catering. My formula for figuring how many I will feed works very well for me, in my area, but every place is different. I take the number of people estimated to attened and figure 25% of the total wont eat at all. Then take the number of people left and devide it by the number of vendors selling food ( don't include the ones that just do popcorn, icecream, smoothies, etc.) That will give me a realy close estimate on how many people I will feed. Only problem with this method is if nobody knows aprox. how many people are going to attend. (ie: 2000 people -25% = 1500 devided by 4 (assuming there are 4 other vendors) = 375 people that will probably eat at your booth.)
Of course there are alot of other factors that could make the numbers go up or down; weather, location, day of the week, alot of older or younger people, etc. I have found that if I am the only BBQ vendor I tend to do more business than the other food vendors so I would adjust up for that. If your the main food vendor and all the others are the snack food type, then I would plan on almost the full 1500 people.

I always priced my food in even dollar amounts so I didn't have to mess with loose change, and I always had a "combo meal" on the menu ( even if you don't save money by getting the combo meal - people just like the ease of ordering it)
And make sure you are charging the right amount $$$$. You can always get better prices at events like that.

Make sure you have 3 wash buckets and a hand wash area (you never know when the health dept. will show up.)

Bring some folding chairs so you have a place to sit and I hope you have some people helping you so everyone gets a break. Standing all day in a food booth will wear you out fast. Bring extra ice and $1 bills you will need them.

I almost like doing the vendor booths better than catering beacuse I know what to expect, and I am not dealing with just one person who is paying the bill. I got alot of catering jobs from doing my vendor booths too.

Good luck, and remember to have fun !

Down to one lonely ol' Bandera.
midnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 05:11 AM   #6
Dr_KY

Midnight hit it all right on the button. In fact I'm going to bookmark this page.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #7
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

That is very good information from midnight. He is spot on and does this kind of thing more than most. Alot of fairs and arts in the park events charge pretty good price for there booth sites. Make sure you set your price to help cover this too. now Shane you might not have a booth price on your deal but most places do. Just keep this in mind. I was looking at doing a vending deal at River Boat Days in Yankton SD booth price is $400.00 per 20 x 20 space I would need 2 of these to get my trailer in. Thats $800.00 to make up before you do anything else. this one has way to many venders for me to make this work. it might but not willing to take the risk.
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
txschutte

I am very fortunate in falling into this. The event organizer wants strictly BBQ because it ties in with the theme of his show. There is only one other BBQ company within the region, and the organizer wasn't impressed with the way they do things. He heard of my food by sheer word of mouth and offered me the spot free of charge. He is providing water and electricity for me.

I am planning many PP sammies being sold, and maybe smoked turkey legs. Things that can be easily eaten while walking. I plan to do a couple of briskets and some spares just for the few that may want a meal. I will have to do sodas and botled water as I will be the only one allowed to vend for the whole 2 days. Do I contact the local Coke distributor or Pepsi distributor to get a low price bid on X number of drinks?

On Edit: This is a no alcohol event, so I will have to plan for many, many sodas, water and the like.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
BBQ Grail

The local distributer might sell to you. Here you wouldn't be big enough for them to bother with. Got a Sams or Costco?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
txschutte

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
The local distributer might sell to you. Here you wouldn't be big enough for them to bother with. Got a Sams or Costco?
We do have a Sam's, and that is where we may get most of our supplies. Problem is, the soda prices at Sam's here are about the same as local groceries. Drinks are going to be the hardest to figure. While I don't want to go home with 20 cases of sodas, I don't want to run short. That could cause a riot.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #11
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Txschutte, the price from the distributor is usually not all that great. You can get drinks cheaper at Sam's. The advantage is that the distributor(IF they will even sell to you) will take back unbroken cases, Sam's may not. Plus the distributor will deliver.

Be sure you can even sell drinks. The festival I used to run, we(the festival) had the exclusive on all drink sales.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #12
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Grocery stores sell cokes at or below cost as a loss leader to get people in the door.

Last year, our price for coke product from the distributor was $15/case for 20oz drinks.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
txschutte

The only other food vendor on site will be selling sweet goodies. (Funnel cakes, apples, popcorn, cotton candy, and the likes.)

Old 04-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post

I am planning many PP sammies being sold, and maybe smoked turkey legs. Things that can be easily eaten while walking. I plan to do a couple of briskets and some spares just for the few that may want a meal.
Sausages are also good sellers. And nothing is wrong with a brisket sammie, sliced or chopped. Don't put it on your menu as brisket though. You'd be surprised how many people don't know what it is. List it as sliced or chopped BBQ beef. You'll sell more.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #15
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

We did 1,000 at the wife's school last night
Freakin Hot Dogs were flying out of there with the kids
great profit margin for the school
I did it for free
But once Mom and Dad smelled the Pulled Pork