MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #8281
bogeyman901
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6Cop View Post
Maybe a couple of good burn-ins will take care of that smell. It just needs to burn off.
I had a barrell smoker once25 years ago that was a formica glue drum.We just scraped it out after cutting in half and then burned the formica glue out of there.Burned for a couple of days as I remember.Cooked on it for 10 or 15 years with out ever poisoning anyone.Used the holes where the screw out caps where as air holes on bottom side then cut a hole in the top for a stack.Used a piece of scrap monroe shock absorber exterior cover as a flue pipe.Covered it with a beer can cut out on one end as a damper.Set it on some ole' timey singer sewing machine legs as a base.Worked like a charm.Probably only had $5.00 cash invested in the whole thing. Just burn that baby out real good and yu'll be cookin' in no time.
The bogeyman
bogeyman901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #8282
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
So, I've done a few runs on the UDS (so awesome).

Noticed the following: I had the grill filled with a whole chicken and about 6 pounds of country style ribs. Chugging along, maintaining a decent temp (say 225 -250). I need to remove the lid and check on things -- turn the meat, relocate pieces cooking faster than others, apply sauce, etc.

With the influx of air, and add the dripping grease, flareups occur and pretty soon, you have a raging fire in your coal basket.

How do you deal with that?
Close your intake vents for 5 mins before you take the lid off, then work as fast as you can, it will help. Try not to have the lid off to long.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2011, 01:36 AM   #8283
kitts21
On the road to being a farker

Well brethren here is my 1st UDS build and finished product. Can't wait to fire it up this weekend for the first time. Enjoy

initial burn out...

2nd burn out, liner not wanting to burn out

bring on the grinder........

Liner removed.......

coal baskest, might modify this, it seems a little small

Painted and ready for seasoning....

The only question I have is, will this top be alright to use? It's SS I believe. I had read something about not using SS in your UDS builds?

Thanks for all the help through out this thread and on the rest of the boards.
kitts21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #8284
Colemanchu
Knows what a fatty is.

That top should be just fine. There are actually quite a few photos in this thread of some all stainless steel drums.
Colemanchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #8285
pman777
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Ready for some fatties.

A few pictures of the process and my completed UDS

First here's drum I found for $11. It contained sesame seed oil and had the tan colored coating. The inside coating seemed like some kind of paint because I could scratch through it with my pocket knife.

Here's my drum with my perfect fitting Weber lid. I bought my Weber lid first and searched for a suitable drum to fit my lid.

Here's my drum after burning with a weed burner and after hosing and scotchbrighting the ash off. The ash would have likely come off with a car wash spray but not my garden hose.

Here's the inside after using a sanding pad on my angle grinder. It's also already sprayed with PAM to stop possible rusting.

Here's my basket from expanded metal, Weber charcoal grill and pizza pan. The basket is 14" diameter by 12" tall.

Here's the finished UDS with two temp gauges, one for the edge and one for the center. I plan on experimenting with another grate below my cooking grate and placing various size aluminum pie plates with holes to flush the heat outwards so the heat on the cooking grate won't be so center concentrated. Eventually I'll trim it up with some gold paint for Mizzou colors.

Here's the inside after the seasoning with PAM. Since it didn't turn very black I guess I'll use PAM again before I cook my fatties this next Sunday

Last edited by pman777; 07-21-2011 at 09:12 AM..
pman777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #8286
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Default Charcoal Basket question

Considering they both hold exactly the same amount of coals, which is more efficient, a tall and narrow basket or low and wide basket for the UDS?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #8287
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Considering they both hold exactly the same amount of coals, which is more efficient, a tall and narrow basket or low and wide basket for the UDS?

Low and Wide for my 2 cents. Gives me more ways to cook. Of course my UDS is a smoker, grill and pizza oven.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #8288
hawkman-1
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Wow what a read. Great info, now I need to scrounge up some parts to put one together. I have a offset that just takes to much babysitting to keep in the temp zone.

Still holding out for a open head unlined but can't find one around here. Anyone know of a source around St Augustine area?

I got a closed drum that was for motor oil for free that I might use if I can't find anything else soon.
hawkman-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2011, 02:03 AM   #8289
worknomore
Got Wood.

Default Lid Clamp

I had a problem with the hinges in the back causing the front of the lid to have a crack because of the lid tilts towards the back. I found these clamps for the front and they work well. Someone has probably thought of this, but if not here is an idea to help if someone has this issue. This lid is air tight now, I cant see any smoke coming from around the seam.
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #8290
rolfejr
Full Fledged Farker

Get a good friend to let you use his fire pit, That's Bob on the right

Use all of your short bags for a seasoning burn

Custom marine style handle

Test fit the cover from one of it's cousins

And there she is!

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rockin' Robyn's BBQ
[/FONT][/B][/I][LEFT][URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockin-Robyns-BBQ-Team/107295966034865?ref=tn_tnmn"]Like us on Facebook! [/URL]
Stop by our website!
[URL="http://www.rockinrobynsbbq.com"]www.rockinrobynsbbq.com[/URL]
[/LEFT]
rolfejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #8291
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Nice Rolfe! What size is that ball valve? Looks larger than 3/4"...

Old 07-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #8292
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Default Vents on Weber lids

For those who use Weber lids on their UDS do you find the vents to be adequate?

Old 07-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #8293
pman777
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
For those who use Weber lids on their UDS do you find the vents to be adequate?
There are 4ea 7/8 inch holes on the Weber lid. I won't stake my life on this but I believe 4ea 7/8" holes are a larger area than 8ea 1/2" holes.

Norco said 8ea 1/2" holes are plenty and I imagine he would know.

I've seen people claim that the Weber style vent creates a hot spot. If I find this is true I may drill 8ea 1/2" holes in my Weber lid and leave the vent closed.

Before I drill up my Weber lid I'm experimenting with mixing up the heat flow in mine. I'm putting a grate below, about 10" below my cooking grate. On this grate I'm putting a 10" aluminum pie pan and will put some 1/4" holes in it. I hope to deflect the straight up heat travel into going around that pie pan. Maybe I can get the 50 to 70 degree heat difference between the side wall and the center to even out a bit. I imagine I'll have to tinker with it for a while to find the optimum.
pman777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #8294
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman777 View Post
There are 4ea 7/8 inch holes on the Weber lid. I won't stake my life on this but I believe 4ea 7/8" holes are a larger area than 8ea 1/2" holes.

Norco said 8ea 1/2" holes are plenty and I imagine he would know.
You're right. 4 x 7/8" holes on the Weber gives you 2.4 sq inches total where 8 x 1/2" holes gives you only 1.6 sq inches total.

I'll be experimenting with a diffuser as well, using a pizza pan.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #8295
kitts21
On the road to being a farker

I just scored a old weber bar-b-kettle lid from a co-worker. It isn't in the best shape but it will be perfect for my next UDS build. Since this is the lid can I use regular spray paint on it or does it need to be heat resistent? I can't believe I'm starting another one already. It's a sickness I tell you......
kitts21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker