MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Pre-Trimmed St Louis Style Spares at RD

**Check local listings**

Found out recently that my local Restaurant Depot (Indianapolis) has pre-trimmed St Louis Cut Spare Ribs. They are (currently)$3.04/lb and you have to buy a whole case and at least my RD doesn't sell em much so they freeze them when they get em. I ordered a case last week, came in today fresh, pack date was last Friday.

They have been carrying IBP, but my RD just switched over to Indiana Kitchen. IBP's were packaged 6 3-pk cryos to a case (approx 53 lbs total case wt) and the Indiana Kitchen is 6 2-pk cryos to a case (about 28 lb case wt).

They looked real good.
We decided to pay the extra $1/lb to not have any waste and a LOT less work trimming.

Just thought I'd let y'all know.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My RD carries them and you can buy them by the single cryo pack. I don't remember what packer they come from but the one time I did get them I do believe there were three in the pack.

I am surprised that having one less rack in each of the 6 cyro-pacs reduced the weight of your case by almost half. That is only 6 fewer racks. Are the Indiana Kitchen racks smaller?

I tried to work out the math once to see if it was a comparable deal to get the pre-trimmed ribs instead of getting whole spares cheaper and trimming them myself. I don't remember exactly what the outcome was but it was pretty close. It is even a better deal if you don't really want to mess with the trimmings or use them for other cooking purposes.

The only issue I had was I took the ribs out of the cryo and vacusucked them individually as often I only cook one rack at a time. For whatever reason, one of the racks was bad after I thawed it for cooking. It had one hell of a funky smell and I did not cook it. I am not sure why this happened as I would assume that the trimmed racks are handled the same as untrimmed spares.

Anyway, keep us up to date on how they turn out and your whole boiling process
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Be careful. In our experience, bulk trimmed ribs tend to have bone shards. They are usually trimmed with a saw. I won't use them for home use, let alone comps.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
4 smokin butts
Full Fledged Farker

st louis RD carries seaboard farms,2 per pac
4 smokin butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
Smokin' Bad Habit
On the road to being a farker

last time i got RD pre trimed st louis spares, they had a lot of shinners

Old 03-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

the RD by me used to carry them but havent seen them in over a year there now. Id rather trim my own so i can get my Rib tip fix in anyway :)

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I just used the IBP ribs from RD this past weekend in Hammond. They were OK, but I did not like them as much as the Swift that I had been cooking. They were the same size, but they took longer to get tender, and really weren't where I wanted them to be come turn in.

This weekend I am cooking Swift. They are individually packed, so I can pick through them and get what I want.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

We get excellent per trimmed at rd here in Tampa. 3 to a pack. I pay the extra 20 cents for the chairmans.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
My RD carries them and you can buy them by the single cryo pack. I don't remember what packer they come from but the one time I did get them I do believe there were three in the pack.

I am surprised that having one less rack in each of the 6 cyro-pacs reduced the weight of your case by almost half. That is only 6 fewer racks. Are the Indiana Kitchen racks smaller?
I just made sure and the case I got yesterday was 26.8lbs for 12 racks. The IBP case was 53.3 lbs for 18 racks. I do know that the IBP racks were definitely bigger. The IN Kitchen racks look really great, but are trimmed more to the top of the bones and kind of taper off on the small end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Bad Habit View Post
last time i got RD pre trimed st louis spares, they had a lot of shinners
We really looked these over last night. They don't appear to have any shiners. Plenty of meat on the bones. We shall see how they do this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm View Post
the RD by me used to carry them but havent seen them in over a year there now. Id rather trim my own so i can get my Rib tip fix in anyway :)
They don't keep them with the other ribs at my RD, but are in the freezer. I had to ask about them and order them fresh on special delivery. We are going to be vending a few times this year and are considering just keeping all the rib tips to sell at the vending tent. I know I don't usually mess with rib tips at home as I'd rather have whole ribs. I've even bought and cooked BB's at home to avoid the rib tips taking space in the freezer.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #10
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
I know I don't usually mess with rib tips at home as I'd rather have whole ribs. I've even bought and cooked BB's at home to avoid the rib tips taking space in the freezer.
we love our rib tips here ..its a Chicago thing though :)

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->