MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil
Default Did I forget to mention???

Took the KCBS judging class a couple weeks ago... so Im now a certified KCBS judge. :) May be judgin in Rhode Island at the end of the month. Cass had nothing earth shattering in it, except they claim to be loosing the lettuce this year. It is completely optional, cannot be penalized for submitting without, but if its submitted, it still needs to be leafy green or curly leaf, no red leaf.. yada yada yada....

In other words..
its still in there. I asked them, if its optional, and we cannot judge the greenery, then why are there restrictions on red leaf, mustard greens, etc.... Got no real answer..

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Yes you did "forget"
Any other insight about "low-ball", "high-ball", or "no-ball" judging from the class?
Any feedback on quality control efforts they may have shared?
Any other interesting info for us on the other side of the table?

I believe you have to judge 2 events in KCBS (1 in FBA) to be "certified"--True??

I am gonna do KCBS class if (or when) they do one in the SE!

Now--slide over and judge the chickie Rob posted!
We want to know what an expert sees

Congrats!

TIM

(gonna be no living with the PooBah now)
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

nope, your certified as soon as you finish the class.

And honestly, there was absolutly nothing I got out of that class that hasn't been hashed out here many times. Over the past year, Jim Minion taught me all the judging requirments.. pretty much pounded it into my head. So class did nothing but got me the certificate.

Only thing i questioned a few times was the 'Garnish is Optional' rule. Rob says its always optional, but we were told specifically not to judge the lettuce. My questio.... was that we could turn in lettuce with brown rusty leaves, and we cannot be penalized. They agreed.

i disagreeed.... if they guy next to me has lettuce, and i dont.. I am screwed. It is human nature. one is plain and the other is purdy. So until I hear them say NO LETTUCE.. it is going in the box.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2005, 09:50 PM   #4
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Only thing i questioned a few times was the 'Garnish is Optional' rule. Rob says its always optional, but we were told specifically not to judge the lettuce. My questio.... was that we could turn in lettuce with brown rusty leaves, and we cannot be penalized. They agreed.

i disagreeed.... if they guy next to me has lettuce, and i dont.. I am screwed. It is human nature. one is plain and the other is purdy. So until I hear them say NO LETTUCE.. it is going in the box.
It's been optional for as long as I been a judge! No real answer about it either in my class, except you can't penalize someone if they don't have it.
But human nature being what it is, the folks with the lettuce do better.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2005, 09:56 PM   #5
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Optional! Wink, wink! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #6
sigmasmokers
On the road to being a farker

Default no green stuff?

I agree Phil. It is kind of like the rule that a judge is not supposed to reward or penalize on smoke ring. I guarantee that if you turn in the same meat (one with green and the other without) the one with would have to get better presentation.

Modified Bandera,2 WSMs
sigmasmokers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #7
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats Phil!

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
BigBelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2005, 09:08 PM   #8
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default Re: no green stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmasmokers
I agree Phil. It is kind of like the rule that a judge is not supposed to reward or penalize on smoke ring. I guarantee that if you turn in the same meat (one with green and the other without) the one with would have to get better presentation.
There's a old discussion that I started about being a judge. Your right, we're not supposed to judge smoke rings or lettuce, but it does happen. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/index.ph...ewtopic&t=3458
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2005, 11:32 PM   #9
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Phil who gave the class?

Honestly there are more teams that would benefit from no garnish, it's done so badly. If a teams is going to use it then spend time to doing it well.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote