Rib Trimmings?

SteelSmokin

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was wondering what the Brethren does with the left over trimmings from the spare ribs. Have some in the freezer and just can't seem to figure out what to do with them and the wife tried to throw them out on me the other day I guess I better cook them up. Any idea's?

I usally smoke them and make great snacks out of them. Have also made gorditas with them.

i freeze them, and when i cook a pork butt i smoke them then and have a snack mid way through the butt cook

Chop, fry with chorizo and make tacos, tostadas, burritos.
IMG_0176-2.jpg

IMG_0177-2.jpg

IMG_0179-1.jpg

IMG_0182-2.jpg

IMG_0184-3.jpg

Or chop add mojo, onions celantro and do the same.

IMG_0130-1.jpg

IMG_0131-1.jpg

IMG_0133-1.jpg

IMG_0135-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm assuming you are talking about the strip of meat and bone-like material left from trimming spares to St. Louis cut? I dry rub them, put them on the smoker and cook just like spares.

I like to smoke them right with the St. Louis' and then wrap and freeze them for the next time I make beans.

That sounds like winner to me rocksmith, going to give that a try.:thumb:

Last time I took the trimmings from 3 racks of spares added some rub

RibLoaf0.jpg

Ran through the grinder

RibLoaf1.jpg

WooHoo! Spare rib fatties!

Ribloaf2.jpg

MMMMMMMMMMMM Sparerib fatties :cool:

MMMMMMMMMMMM Sparerib fatties :cool:

Ok now that right there is pure genius! :thumb:

I so have to try that.
I assume that they were raw unsmoked before they went through the grinder?
and none of that cartilage from the top of a spare rack?

Last edited:
I'm cooking ribs this weekend on my recently built UDS. With all these great ideas the decision making on what to make out of the trimmings becomes the biggest problem! I guess this is a good problem to have though so I won't complain.

Ok now that right there is pure genius! :thumb:

I so have to try that. I assume that they were raw unsmoked before they went through the grinder?

Thanks. Yep. I took all the trimmings except the membrane added some rub and ground it all up. Smoked along with the spares.

I freeze the trimmings untill I have 10 pounds or so then grind them up & mix with one of Todd's Limited sausage seasonings - country, Italian, etc.

Back