Rib trimmings

Put them in with the ribs. They will finish quicker because they are smaller. That way you bcan taste what's happening and make adjustments if necessary.

I will cook them just as I do my ribs (same method). I like to sauce them and pull the meat. It makes great sandwiches. Sometimes if I am cooking beans along with my ribs I will use the chopped rib trimmings to add to my beans.

Cook's treats. My family thinks I throw them away!! JK, I cook 'em right along side of the ribs and bring 'em in to quiet the "when are the ribs gonna be ready" grumbles.

I add the skirt meat to the beans. I usually cook the tips just like the rest of the ribs. I strongly recommend cooking spares "untrimmed." I find that the tips end up going to waste alot. If you leave them on the rib, people will eat them. Many Tejans just leave them whole to get "Tejas" sized spares! It is strictly an appearance issue.

The Woodman said:
I add the skirt meat to the beans. I usually cook the tips just like the rest of the ribs. I strongly recommend cooking spares "untrimmed." I find that the tips end up going to waste alot. If you leave them on the rib, people will eat them. Many Tejans just leave them whole to get "Tejas" sized spares! It is strictly an appearance issue.

I'll buy that.

1f1724ff.jpg

Man Thirdeye Them Ribs Look So Good I'am Shutting Down The Computer To Go Get Some Right Now.

I disagree that it's just an appearance thing. I prefer trimming them first, and I use the trimmed rib ends for beans and additions to other recipes (ABTs, armadillo eggs, etc). But as part of the rib left on, people have to deal with the cartilege at the end of the ribs, and some people don't care for that. When you trim, all they have to deal with is the bone.

The spares cook more evenly with the "extras" trimmed off too. And they NEVER go to waste around here, they're always gone before the ribs are even done.

cmcadams said:
I disagree that it's just an appearance thing. I prefer trimming them first, and I use the trimmed rib ends for beans and additions to other recipes (ABTs, armadillo eggs, etc). But as part of the rib left on, people have to deal with the cartilege at the end of the ribs, and some people don't care for that. When you trim, all they have to deal with is the bone.

Well, they do make a nice addition to other dishes, but when you have 35 tips , it becomes tiresome to take them home, pull the meat, and vac pac it! If you are telling me that folks won't eat them, I don't buy it! It is a "little" inconvenient, but in no way affects the taste or texture of the finished product. I usually explain to folks that they are "whole spares" and have never had a complaint! To each his own though. :-D

Sometimes I do it before, sometimes I do it after. But as for trimming my spareribs, I do what is necessary to make them fit on the racks of my SKD. After this past weeks cook, I need to reconcider how I trim and place the ribs in the smoke chamber. I think trimming up may be a better option for me to allow a smaller package on multiple levels. I usually just trimmed the small end off and placed it on the racks. I think the next time, I'll try the rib rack again before I do the St Louis trim job on them. My wife likes my ribs no matter how they look as ong as I keep using the same rub on it. She's actually requesting me to cook them now.

I do them both ways, but this time I did them untrimmed using the rib rack I bought from Ron and they came out the best ever. Fit just fine in the rack. Did only 3, but that rack has room for up to 5. Cooked for 6 hours and did not foil. Used 3 different rubs and the best one was that cherry chipole stuff that I got at the last bash. Perfect balance of sweet and hot. The only problem with the rub is that it tends to chump up in the jar.

As for rib trimmings, I bought a 10 lb box of them from the grocery and cooked them with the ribs. They were all about the same size and cooked up great in about 2 hours. As kc said, they satisfied the masses until the ribs were done. They also gave me an excuse to try out several rib rubs at the same time.

The Woodman said:

If it's at home, what the dreaded Buckeye said:lol: I may trim the skirt but I won't do a St. Louis cut for home consumption.

PS You giving points Woody?

The Woodman said:

Well, they do make a nice addition to other dishes, but when you have 35 tips , it becomes tiresome to take them home, pull the meat, and vac pac it! If you are telling me that folks won't eat them, I don't buy it! It is a "little" inconvenient, but in no way affects the taste or texture of the finished product. I usually explain to folks that they are "whole spares" and have never had a complaint! To each his own though. :-D

If you're talking that kind of quantity, then you have me there! Not worth the effort, unless you just buy st. louis cut to begin with. I'm not saying people won't eat them... But given the choice, I know my family prefers not to have the whole rib.

Jorge, I hadn't thought of points yet... But it should be a great game coming up, however it pans out!

Back