MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
run_smoke_run
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Tri tip (pics)

I grilled tri tip once before. I over cooked it and it was tough. I liked the idea that tri tip would give me the beefy flavor I craved but be something in between steak and brisket in terms of effort. I grabbed some left over brisket rub I had and tossed in a bit of cayenne. I haven't used cayenne before in my rubs. I think I overdid it a bit. I liked it, but it was hot and peppery

I used pecan for the first time. I usually use hickory (ribs/chicken) and mesquite (brisket). I was surprised how strong the pecan smoke was. It reminded me more of mesquite than I was expecting. Of course I threw on some mesquite chunks at the end.

I was a bit disappointed in my bark. Next time I want to try it with no water pan. I removed the water pan about 1:15 in a 1:40 total smoke time, but still didn't get the bark I wanted. I pulled it at 133 internal temp. My fire was in the 230-250 range. I was really happy with the medium rare doneness.

It's really hard to remember which way the grain goes before you rub it. I didn't remember correctly....

Oh well. Plenty to learn from and it tasted great too. Can't wait to make some steak sandwiches later this week! I've also got to figure out how to take better pictures. Maybe my iphone5, just isn't up to the task.

Last edited by run_smoke_run; 09-18-2013 at 08:22 PM..
run_smoke_run is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great looking Beef.... Thanks for sharing.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I too have just discovered the awesomeness of tri tip. It is hard to come by around here. Yours doesn't look bad at all! Keep it up, and you'll soon have that tri tip nailed down. It makes a great piece of beef to cook when company comes over.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

It looks like you cut it with the grain. That's why it was tough. Cutting a tri-tip is tricky since the grain changes in the middle of the roast.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
It looks like you cut it with the grain. That's why it was tough. Cutting a tri-tip is tricky since the grain changes in the middle of the roast.
Yep Ron is right you gotta go against the grain. Prior to cooking you'll see in the middle area where the grain is running...cut it half right there after it's cooked and then cut against the grain cutting a an angle...and cut thin! Love some tri!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Rick-in-LB
On the road to being a farker

Ahh yes! Buy more tri tip and practice the cutting and feed the neighbors! Just joking, looks good!
Thermos Kettle(Imitation Weber)
18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
.....and whatever comes next!
Rick-in-LB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
landarc

It looks like it was cooked fine, but, as mentioned, it was tough because of how you cut it. Funny, lots of folks cut it like that, and it seems counter to how I would do it.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
unixadm
Take a breath!

Also try cooking it to a higher temp. I cook mine to right around 150 and if sliced correctly and thinly, it's very tender, very moist and flavorful. Also resting in foil for 30-45 minutes seems to help.

I use Lindberg Snider Porterhouse and Roast Seasoning on my tri-tips and then smoke them at 250 degrees. Once it's done I brush with a higher end teriyaki sauce and allow it to rest in foil. Lastly I dredge the sliced meat through the juices which collected in the foil when serving.
unixadm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
mbshop
Babbling Farker

look up reverse sear. i cook it indirect till i get an internal temp of about 130 and then cook direct over hot coals a few minutes to get a great sear and crust.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:11 AM   #10
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Love all these Tri's I've been seeing lately. Looks good to me. Nice job.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #11
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Ding, ding, ding. Cut against the grain (there are actually 3 patterns to deal with). Agree on a reverse sear. Either way, it looks tasty.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
run_smoke_run
Got rid of the matchlight.

George, I know about reverse searing, but just didn't think about it. I bet that would be nice.

unixadm, I'm curious to cook it to a higher temp too. However, I really liked the 133 medium rare.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
kirk fortin
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks great to me. Maybe a lil heavy on the rub but to each their own ya know. Teryiaki Tri Tip is big out here in CA...those are REALLY big here and its my go to meal for partys at 3.99 a lb but no more than that. I dredge them in the juice as well...im probably not cutting them right either but they are still great!

Old 09-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
Fwismoker

Reverse sear[IMG][/IMG]ed.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

It looks tasty from here!