MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Default need a decent duel temp wireless thermometer

So I have used the digital thermometers form Lowes they worked ok but broke over time. I just bought a Maverick Redi Chek for x-mas used it twice and it stop transmitting. I emailed costumer service and the want more money to replace it (less than a month old). So is there a duel temp wireless digital thermometer that works. The redi chek concept was perfect but design and quality very bad. Edit: I bought the 73 model

Last edited by krshome; 01-14-2013 at 03:06 PM..
krshome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Meathead has a few different ones reviewed on his site at Amazing ribs.com.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

The maverick 732's have held up nicely for us over the last couple years. Have replaced a couple probes but figuring how often we use them not too bad. Ten comps last year plus a ton of catering work.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Hozman
Take a breath!

Love my Mavericks

Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

I think I screwed up I got the old Maverick 73. Is the 732 (new model) a lot better than the 73?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by krshome View Post
I think I screwed up I got the old Maverick 73. Is the 732 (new model) a lot better than the 73?
I have both. The 73 is the older model. High temperature on the cooker probe is 410º F. The 732 can go to 512º F and the probes are supposed to be OK up to a bit over 700º F. For smoking the ET-73 temperature ranges are probably adequate. I did some roasts that I wanted to start about 500º so I recently acquired the 732. The 732 is supposed to have better range as well but both work well enough for me.

I didn't compare other features as I don't normally use them.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Had my ET-732 for 2 years now. Works everytime. Overnight cooks, I check the temp of my smoker & meat temp, for my bed. Signal goes through at least 6 walls to get to my bedroom. Smokin & sleepin like a baby.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

Did you ever have a problem with the temp reading locking up? Mine will shows the temps for awhile then just freeze. I have too shut everything down and restart, then within a couple of minutes it will lockup again. I'm only 15-20 feet away shouldn't have a transmitting problem.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I vote, yes. The range is really good. My probes have held up very well. I do take care of them, though.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Did you ever have a problem with the temp reading locking up? Mine will shows the temps for awhile then just freeze. I have too shut everything down and restart, then within a couple of minutes it will lockup again. I'm only 15-20 feet away shouldn't have a transmitting problem.
Yep, this is one of the special features of the older Mavericks. You don't even need to pay extra for this. Mine does this when the transmitter and receiver are less than an inch apart. The receiver just reads the same steady temperature, even though the actual temperature continues to rise. The new ones apparently have this fixed, but I've heard bad reports about the probes.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
BobM
Babbling Farker

I have a Maverick ET-732. After about 10 cooks, the pit probe failed and I had to buy a replacement. Otherwise it works fine.

Sent from my Android phone.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Be sure not to immerse your probes in water. Just wipe them clean with cleaner and a damp cloth. Also you need to avoid crushing the wires in the doors. Either of these will make short work of the probes. I put fresh batteries in both units for comps and long cooks and then finish the used batteries off in the tv remotes and misc toys for the kids and whatnot. Cheap insurance when you have a couple hundred bucks worth of meat on the smoker. Also most of the replace probes are pretty nice and come with 6ft cords. I use these to let me put the transmitters inside a plastic Tupperware container to keep the ice, snow, and rain off them. Yep mn weather. Don't like it? Wait five minutes and it will change. ;)

Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

I'm loving my Maverick ET-732

Had to replace the probes because I goofed and crimped them badly in the cabinet door.