MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default 1st Thin Crust Pizza Cook on the BGE... with pr0n!

Decided to go for it and get the 1st pizza cook done.

I have been giving the BGE a workout since I brought it home a few weeks, so now it was time for thin crust pizzas.

Used Alton Brown's recipe for the pizza dough. Let it sit in the refrigerator overnight so that i would have one less thing to worry about during the cook today.

Fired up the egg with B&B, my current fav lump charcoal. Good size pieces which work well in the UDT. I found this humongous piece in the bag today when I filled up the egg. It was as thick as my forearm! There were 2-3 other pieces almost as big. By far the biggest pieces of lump I have found to date.

Here is what a virgin BGE pizza stone looks like. I set the platesetter legs down, then the stock grid, then the pizza stone. i don't have any ceramic feet. The stone was almost at the level of the gasket but not quite. I hear that the pizzas come out better if rasied higher in the dome, so I will try and figure out a way to get it higher.

Dough sitting for the final rise/rest. The recipe makes two 12-14" pieces, but i divided itinto three balls (about 120g each).

Leftover toppings from when we made pizzas in my stacked brick WFO over the holidays. Homemade sauce, bufala mozz, pepperoni, basil, onions, red bell peppers, and elk sausage I smoked a few days ago.

First pie rolled out. Had to work on it a little bit, adding flour until it stopped shrinking back. About 10" in diameter.

Almost hit 600°F. I could have gone higher if I had paid more attention to packing the lump in, wiggling, and lighting more lump when I started, but this was good enough. I was a little worried about frying the gasket, so didn't want to go nuclear the first time. Temps probably averaged 550°ish.

First pie was a margherita - my favorite!

View from the top vent. Cooked 3-4mins then turned 180° and cooked for another 3-4mins.

First BGE pie! [Sorry the pic is blurry].

Gratuitous upskirt shot.

2nd pie - sauce, pepperoni, bell pepper, parmesan, red onions.

The crust was thin, crispy, and flavorful. The best pizza I have made yet.

Last pie was a garbage pizza - put on whatever we had left. Sauce, basil, parmesan, bufala mozz, bell peppers, red onions, elk sausage.

Overall, it was a resounding success!! When I fire up the stacked brick WFO, it ends up being over a half-day affair. With the egg, we could enjoy pizza on a weeknight. The sauce was made before hand, and frozen in an ice cube tray, so I just took out 2 cubes per pie. Improvement for future cooks will include making the sauce more garlicky, not using 2 cured meats on the same pie (too salty for us), and experimenting with the dough to add some other flavors to it. I will also learn how to tend the fire better so I can maybe hit higher temps, but I don't see the need to really. Unless someone thinks there is some benefit to higher temps. I thoght I smelled the gasket vaporizing a few times, but it seems to have withstood the temps well.

Thanks for looking!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
LT72884
Babbling Farker

HOLY CRAP that looks GOOOOOOD. Gotta figure out how to get my weber to 600 and keep it there. haha.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

I was ready for bed! Now I want pizza!!! Looks awesome!

Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice indeed!

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Great looking pies. If you want to raise your stone higher get some tuna cans and put them under the stone. 3-4 should work.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

You did good brotha

Old 01-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Excellent, sir! Though, I must say, I've much bigger pieces of lump in my garage right now. Maybe I'm not getting the good stuff......

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #8
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Man, that looks great !!!!!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #9
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #10
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Need that for breakPhast!
Nice crust!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
Ross in Ventura
is Blowin Smoke!

Great look pie caliKing

Ross

Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
SmokinSlowPoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Wow that looks delicious! Pretty sure I would devour any of those pies, nice work!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #13
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Great looking pies there. Nice work Caliking

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
bragsly
Found some matches.

I'm going to give that a try this weekend. Looks Great!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
HOLY CRAP that looks GOOOOOOD. Gotta figure out how to get my weber to 600 and keep it there. haha.
I've been able to peg the thermo on my performer, but your're right keeping it there is an issue. But from my experience with destroying my UDT by burning a carpload of wood in it, that might be the way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Great looking pies. If you want to raise your stone higher get some tuna cans and put them under the stone. 3-4 should work.
I'm planning on making a raised grid with nuts, bolts and washers. Should help as a second cooking grid as well as raising up the grid for pizza cooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
Excellent, sir! Though, I must say, I've much bigger pieces of lump in my garage right now. Maybe I'm not getting the good stuff......

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2
What lump do you buy? I want big pieces for my tandoor but have a hard time finding them. B&B has the biggest pieces I have seen, and is easy to get around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross in Ventura View Post
Great look pie caliKing

Ross
Thanks! I've seen a bunch of your awesome cooks on your egg and have been inspired.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote