Poll: What would you consider to be "traditional" BBQ meat?

Which of these do you consider to be "traditional" barbecue

• Catfish

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Mutton

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • All fish

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Chicken

Votes: 55 38.7%
  • Quail

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Dove

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • All fowl

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Venison/Deer

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Moose

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Bear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Whole Hog

Votes: 89 62.7%
  • Pork Ribs

Votes: 95 66.9%
  • Pork Shoulder

Votes: 108 76.1%
  • Pork Fresh Ham

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • Beef Brisket

Votes: 94 66.2%
  • Beef Chuck Roast

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Beef Ribs

Votes: 47 33.1%
  • I'd consider ALL of the above "traditional"

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters

Lake Dogs

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Yet another poll, for fun. Multiple choices are allowed. Please select any/all that you think YOU consider are "traditional" barbecue meats.

I'm not going to define traditional. Traditional means different things to different people. But, if you were in a debate with someone talking about barbecue and he used the term "traditional barbecue", what meats come to mind?

That'll teach me, no tofu, no sausage, no tri-tip, no tripe, no tongue... What was I thinking?!?!?!!!

Next time, y'all do this! :)

Being from NC for the longest time when you said BBQ I thought Whole Hog/Shoulder. Since really getting into cooking, traveling to different regions, and competing I would add Ribs (Both Beef and Pork), and chicken. I am sure as I continue to travel down the path I may add others or get a different view.

There's definitely no right nor wrong answers. Only your impression. Well, except Gore; and he's just wrong altogether.

NC "purist" (my term) would probably say whole hog only, or hog and/or shoulder. I completely understand. Growing up not far down the road, I grew up thinking basically that plus pork ribs. Was only later that I expanded my horizons and found lots of stuff being barbecued and I expanded what I though/considered would be traditional barbecue to include beef. I must admit, I still am of the personal opinion that chicken nor any other fowl for that matter is "traditional" barbecue... I'd go so far as to think Mutton would come before Chicken. Then again, I'm not from Kansas City, and we know they all came from the same family tree with inbreeding that did come with a BBQ gene built-in. :) *JOKE* We all know there is no BBQ gene.

Is there a BBQ Gene? Is she cute?

Being born and raised in Texas it's brisket and sausage for me but I transplanted to the SE 11yrs ago and I could see a pork argument and would understand why just the same.

Honestly, I didnt know so many/much BBQing of sausage, otherwise I sure would've added it to the selection list. My bad.

I will say that my horizons have broadened in the past few years. The type of meat considered BBQ is definately regional. I spent some time in KY a few years ago and until then, I never knew Mutton was considered meat for BBQ.

Likewise, prior to last year, I had never encountered smoked Brisket. I just returned from a trip to Kansas City MO & had the best brisket burnt ends ever, one place was so good, i went 3 times in 24 hours.

I was weened on whole hog & fresh ham BBQ (& mustard based sauce) & it is still my favorite.

I will say that my horizons have broadened in the past few years. The type of meat considered BBQ is definately regional. I spent some time in KY a few years ago and until then, I never knew Mutton was considered meat for BBQ.

Likewise, prior to last year, I had never encountered smoked Brisket. I just returned from a trip to Kansas City MO & had the best brisket burnt ends ever, one place was so good, i went 3 times in 24 hours.

I was weened on whole hog & fresh ham BBQ (& mustard based sauce) & it is still my favorite.

I'd traveled a little over the years and frankly Kentucky isn't that far "up yonder" from me. However I never knew about Mutton until a few years ago, and I learned about that online.

It's definitely VERY regional on this piece for sure. Still, in this area, it's RARE that you find BBQ'd beef at a BBQ restaurant. That's growing now and IMHO has to do with KCBS's influence.

This is gonna be all about where your from Texas brisket Kansas ribs Carolina whole hog and so on but its still a gr8 pole

Definitely plus one on the sausage. Every BBQ joint I ate in growing up had sausage. I'd love to see KCBS give chicken the boot and add sausage.

Growing up and spending all my life in eastern North Carolina, whole hog will always be barbecue to me. I have broadened my horizons and love pork ribs, and beef brisket. I cook them often. I commented to someone recently that I don't know how brisket escaped us for so long because it is soooo good. Most in this area still don't know how to cook it. I also cook a ton of butts these days.

Back