It's the only picture I have of my rod, it's laying across the top of the drum.
A I am not sure I would take pictures of my rod.
B Even if I could I dont think I would lay it across a hot drum.
:biggrin:

A I am not sure I would take pictures of my rod.
B Even if I could I dont think I would lay it across a hot drum.

lol Well it's been across worse places.

Extension

Well, I added another foot and a half or so to my drum, seasoned it last night first cook is today. I threw a shoulder on this morning temps are steady at about 230. Pulled pork tonight at 7:00 I will post pics of the finished product.

Attachments

• ps1.jpg
    ps1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,627
  • ps2.jpg
    ps2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,619
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,609
  • d3.jpg
    d3.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,608
spares

3-2-1 method comes through agian

Attachments

• S6302000.JPG
    S6302000.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 1,581
  • S6302004.jpg
    S6302004.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,575
  • S6302006.jpg
    S6302006.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,574
  • S6302007.jpg
    S6302007.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,572
Howdy all,

Just finished reading this thread, only took a week...:biggrin:

I can get my barrels for free, they had water soluble oil in them. Problem is that I am going to have to cut off the lid. That means I will have to manufacture a lid. I'm going to look at Lowe's and the HD and see if they are putting their grill gear on markdown for the winter. I plan on keeping as close to the BDS model as possible. What works better the conduit caps or the magnets? I would think the caps would eventually warp the holes as you keep removing and replacing.

I'll let you know how the build goes. This should be a huge improvement over my ECB smoker.

Thanks to all of you for laying the ground work for Q Bliss.

Later
JimC

What works better the conduit caps or the magnets? I would think the caps would eventually warp the holes as you keep removing and replacing.

I'll let you know how the build goes. This should be a huge improvement over my ECB smoker.

Thanks to all of you for laying the ground work for Q Bliss.

Later
JimC
I'm confused.

Are you talking about intake or exhaust?

Hey TopJimmy if you get the drums free then just get a donor and make your own lid. I never have liked the idea of cutting the top of the drum off to make a weber lid fit. I can just see getting cut on that raw edge. Plus I like having the flat top look, maybe it goes with my haircut!!!

I have a tall lid and a short lid. The tall one is mainly for my UDS and the short one for my UDG. But they are of course interchangable. Both were done a bit differently and both work great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the idea of making your own lid from a donor drum. One drum makes 2 of them! If I ever make a second UDS, that will surely be kept in mind.

Hey Barbarian how did you go about making your short lid? I have two open top barrels. Was going to make two but well decided cut one up eaither make a lid or make my one into a double rack. I cut just below the second ring. if I grind more off will it fit over the top of the other one or do I have to weld a piece around it for a lip?

I know, I know it's on here but would love to hear some opinions on where and why thermometers go on UDS. Mine is nearing completion and thermos are going on soon so looking for pros/cons of where and why?

All help is appreciated.

I know, I know it's on here but would love to hear some opinions on where and why thermometers go on UDS. Mine is nearing completion and thermos are going on soon so looking for pros/cons of where and why?

All help is appreciated.
Below first grate, so probe is @3/4" below. Why? So you don't have to manuver grate around it when lifting it out. 2nd in lid, but optional.

IMG_3193.jpg

All help is appreciated.

Well I know that my Remote Temp Probe was acting up on my last smoke and I heavily relied on having both the Under the Grill Grate Thermo as well as my new addition of the the Dome Lid Thermo.

DSC04262.jpg

DSC04916_Lo_Lo_Res.jpg

Back