• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
BTW....install a handle so you can lift that bad boy outta there!! :cool:
(basket on ground)

Oh yea. That definitely is in the plans. I got a steel rod for that but dinner was ready so I stopped working on it for today.

I was wandering about the holes also. I was going to see how it did first (I'm tired of drilling) and then add some more if needed but I think I will take your advice and go ahead and drill more. The biggest drill bit I have is 1/2" but I am going to get a 1" hole saw for the intake nipple's so I will use that.

That ain't all that looks familiar

laurel%20and%20hardy.jpg
Laurel_hardy.jpg

HEY - I resemble that comment!

Another coal box question. I have read probably every post about UDS but am curious to know if my coal box might be too big. I was trying to figure out what I wanted to build a coal box out of without spending too much $$$ so I went to a local scrap metal yard to get some stuff and noticed a 30 gal drum in a scrap pile. I asked what they would sell it for and he said $4.00. I couldn't pass that up. I cut the bottom off for an ash pan and 9 inches off the top for the box. It is 18" diameter and 9" deep. It seems that the common size is 15 to 16 inches. Has anyone who built a big basket wished they would have made it smaller for some reason?

My thinking is I can make a smaller ring for shorter cooks and for long cooks I will have the capacity I need.

coalbox1.jpg

coalbox2.jpg

Mistas first drum had one sorta like that. I would insure you can maintain 24" from expanded metal to lower grate. Most important measurment in my opinion.

BTW....install a handle so you can lift that bad boy outta there!! :cool:
(basket on ground)
I am curious about your basket, I like the design but have a couple of questions. What did you use as a base for the expanded metal to fasten to? I also was wondering how long the bolts were that you used for the legs or feet.

I am curious about your basket, I like the design but have a couple of questions. What did you use as a base for the expanded metal to fasten to? I also was wondering how long the bolts were that you used for the legs or feet.

The base is a grill from a Smokey Joe, expanded metal is made into a circle and bolted together them wir tied to the grate.
Bolts are 3 1/2" long with double nuts and washers sandwiched around the grate.

Attachments

• UDS Pic's 055.jpg
    UDS Pic's 055.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 1,846
Mistas first drum had one sorta like that. I would insure you can maintain 24" from expanded metal to lower grate. Most important measurment in my opinion.

His was the one I thought of when I saw that small drum. I wouldn't have thought about making a charcoal box out of a smaller drum if I hadn't seen the picture of his.

I am only going to have one cooking grate in this one. To keep it at 24" I have to keep the grate at 5" below the top of the drum. That is one reason I didn't weld the box together. I still haven't made my mind up on it yet. I left a 2" gap between the ash pan and the grate so the coal grate is 4 1/2 " from the bottom of the drum. I am still thinking of not using an ash pan to get more room at the top for the cooking grate. I don't mind scooping or dumping the ashes out.

I just used 4 pieces of angle iron and 4 bolts to hold the expanded metal in.
coalbox4.jpg

coalbox3.jpg

the legs are 1/2" square tubing cut 10 1/2 inches long. I bolted the bottom of each leg in the ash pan with 1 bolt and the top of the leg to the box with 2 bolts each. It would have been easier to weld it together but I still might change some stuff and with it bolted together if I ever need to replace the grate I can just unbolt it and replace it.
coalbox5.jpg

So I'm working on the class stuff and I'm thinking - if we go with 12 inch firebaskets I can cut the cost down a little bit, but now I'm wondering - valves on the air flow or nipples? What makes sense? I've used valves for me personally, but I don't always use them. Would a nipple cap work just as well? Loosen and tighten? I think I've got some experimenting to do today.....

Well Bob: the simplest/cheapest route is to drill holes (3/4 - 1") and attach little tabs that pivot with a short stove bolt to cover the holes.

The base is a grill from a Smokey Joe, expanded metal is made into a circle and bolted together them wir tied to the grate.
Thanks for the info, I am tossing around a couple of ideas may integrate your design. I will post a pic of mine when it is done.

I just used 4 pieces of angle iron and 4 bolts to hold the expanded metal in.

the legs are 1/2" square tubing cut 10 1/2 inches long. I bolted the bottom of each leg in the ash pan with 1 bolt and the top of the leg to the box with 2 bolts each. It would have been easier to weld it together but I still might change some stuff and with it bolted together if I ever need to replace the grate I can just unbolt it and replace it.
Thanks brother.

Was wondering if a cooking grate would be sturdy enough... was planning to use the two from my H20 smoker, but they seemed rather flimsy compared to the Weber coal grate.

-------------

Wulfie

Newest member of the Smokin' Scotsmen BBQ Team

2 UDS in construction
1 Charbroil Electric Deluxe H20 smoker (soon to be scrapped for parts)

Was wondering if a cooking grate would be sturdy enough... was planning to use the two from my H20 smoker, but they seemed rather flimsy compared to the Weber coal grate.

I made one for Single Fin with 2 ECB grates.

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

Back