MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
MJ_Tenn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Michael
Default Fire management epiphany yesterday!

Been cooking on my Lang 48 reverse flow smoker for the last four months and am really feeling good about fire management. I have used wood as my only source for heat and smoke and it dawned on me that the sticks I was adding was too large. Got my chopping ax out and split my oak and hickory logs into much smaller splits....coke can size just like I knew I should be using and my fire control was quite easy! Gonna smoke two Boston Butts Friday and am looking forward to the control I have finally attained with fire management!

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hmmmmmm.
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Thanks for sharing. I stumbled on this too and it made a big difference.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_Tenn View Post
Been cooking on my Lang 48 reverse flow smoker for the last four months and am really feeling good about fire management. I have used wood as my only source for heat and smoke and it dawned on me that the sticks I was adding was too large. Got my chopping ax out and split my oak and hickory logs into much smaller splits....coke can size just like I knew I should be using and my fire control was quite easy! Gonna smoke two Boston Butts Friday and am looking forward to the control I have finally attained with fire management!
How much more often do you have to add wood with smaller splits? How many sticks do you add as opposed to before?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

That's the question I was going to ask... I cut smaller chunks but I'm adding pretty often consistently.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

That is what works for me. After reading on here I put at least the next split if not two on top of the fire box. How do you use the vents? I have been keeping everything wide open.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
MJ_Tenn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
How much more often do you have to add wood with smaller splits? How many sticks do you add as opposed to before?
I was adding at about the same rate as before (approx 45 minutes or so) but am now adding maybe two pre-heated small sticks instead of one large one...what a difference it made!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
MJ_Tenn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturnerjr View Post
That's the question I was going to ask... I cut smaller chunks but I'm adding pretty often consistently.
Jeff, you might consider adding several smaller chunks instead of just one. I split mine into just larger than what I would call kindling.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
MJ_Tenn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmanerik View Post
That is what works for me. After reading on here I put at least the next split if not two on top of the fire box. How do you use the vents? I have been keeping everything wide open.
Chimney is wide open...rear vent is almost shut and front vent about 1/2 to 3/4 open...I opened the vents a little bit as I added wood to get good air flow. I would leave the firebox door open for a minute or two and then shut it.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

I do the same for my Lang 36...the fire box is only 17"...Once I get a good coal bed going...then use splits 9" long and on the small side...maybe 1/8 of the log...this size work great every hour or so for maintaining a 250 deg pit...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Great thread (even though I don't have a Lang).
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Bludawg

I use splits the same size I add 1 every 45 min to run at 300.YMMV

Old 09-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
gtr

Yup - I go for about wrist size.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
dummy que
Full Fledged Farker

Default fire control

on my LANG 60 iuse splits the size of pop can or a little smaller leave pinwheels closed on one side full open on other side
dummy que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCandy View Post
I do the same for my Lang 36...the fire box is only 17"...Once I get a good coal bed going...then use splits 9" long and on the small side...maybe 1/8 of the log...this size work great every hour or so for maintaining a 250 deg pit...
What are your pinwheel vent settings? I have a 36" arriving this Sun/Mon.
Damn True is offline   Reply With Quote