Interesting article on competition que...

Very interesting. I know Carey and Pat personally....live around the corner from Martin's. I don't think they were right on everything, but they hit a few high notes.

dmp

A bunch of restaurant owners dogging on competition cooks for taking "shortcuts" and bastardizing bbq! I can promise that my competition turn ins are far closer to "real" bbq than the pasty gray crap you find in 99.9 percent of bbq restaurants!

I think that before you start bad-mouthing these "restaurant owners," you should eat at their establishments and know the quality that they deliver and the pride that they take in it.

dmp

I think that before you start bad-mouthing these "restaurant owners," you should eat at their establishments and know the quality that they deliver and the pride that they take in it.

dmp

Beat me to that one. Martin's puts out a damn fine rack.

From the article:

The stuff that you got at Memphis in May, you know, 25 years ago was very different barbecue than you’ve got now.

And what today is the same as it was 25 years ago?

Some people just don't like change, and it doesn't matter whether it really is better or worse.

Not really a surprising perspective. It is simply one article interviewing like minded people.

IMHO Competition Q, Restaurant Q and Backyard Q are very different creatures.

In competition the goal is all about the single bite – in a restaurant you look for the meal and venue to create the experience and in the backyard – well that is about family and friends as much as the Q.

I really don’t see how you can fairly compare them.

Pat Martin doesn't understand wrapping. Cooks are infusing flavor, and managing appearance and tenderness. The speed of the cook is not a concern.

I am not sure how they can claim "everything is the same" and "some of it is inedible" in the same article. Which is it?

KCBS isn't driving anyone to a taste profile. They set goals for tenderness, but not taste. Competition cooks gravitate to what wins. Salt and pepper on a brisket isn't going to cut it.

Quite frankly, it comes across as a bunch of old geezers whining about the good old days. I can also picture them talking about cars ("With all these computers, you can't fix it yourself. It's not a real car! Sure, it's more reliable, fuel efficient, and performs better, but these young guys just drive their cars and don't understand the joys of spending a weekend doing a tune up in your driveway.")

These guys have to wake up and realize that the Good Ole Days are right now. All cuisines evolve including BBQ. You have to learn to evolve or get stuck in the dark ages.

I am still having a hard time getting past the fact that these guys get paid every day to put out BBQ, but it's easier to lay back and badmouth the hobbyist who drops nearly $1000 to compete on the occasional weekend than it is to give some honest thought as to why a different type of BBQ is what wins.

Earlier this year I competed out in California and we were having a very similar discussion. I think there has been a centering or homogenization of what the general public considers to be good Barbeque which we as competitors may be contributing to. I know a lot of cooks that travel and compete all over and the vast majority of them don't change anything as they travel from place to place.

I also see this as larger trend throughout society and we are just one part of it. Take a look around next time you get off the exit on an Interstate, it's often hard to tell where you are until you look at license plates. Our society by and large likes the homogenous. Somebody explained it to me recently at a contest by saying " a Big Mac tastes like a Big Mac wherever you go". Lots of people find comfort in this and that is where a large portion of not only the judges come from but also competitors. It's only natural that the competition circuit will find its way towards that center as it grows in popularity.

So while I understand the gripes these gentlemen in the interview have, they might want to look around before they throw stones. I'm willing to bet when they watch the Titans game, they do their fair share of eating Domino's pizza and drinking Coors Light or something else that many of us don't consider to be pizza or beer.

Great read i think. Theres a lot of different cooking styles, technicques and flavors that are all great in there own rights. I'd like to judge different kinds of bbq other than getting the same tastes and looks over and over.

These guys are the bbq royalty of a good size market and a pretty hot destination city in a state synonymous with pig q. Many are nationally recognized for their product and deservedly so. They spelled out their criticism of comp q elsewhere in the article and it's based on their experience competing. Their opinions, right or wrong in your view, provide valuable commentary on the state of barbecue today. Nah, I'm just farkin with ya. :razz:

I think it is pretty easy to see what they are saying without taking offense. Talking BBQ in general, but take for specific example Trigg's ribs. He says he doesn't even like them, and cooks them differently at home, but they win him money. So why do they win him money, because "certified bbq judges" have taken a class and been told they are supposed to taste a certain way. Now, a great majority of the cooks put out some version of his ribs. Personally, I'd rather taste the one's he cooks at home and actually likes. I believe the shows like Pitmasters have fostered the perception that things should taste a certain way, even if that's not really that good. Which is why competition cooks I have talked to say they cook not to put out what they think is the best tasting product, but to offend the least amount of judges. Franklin's salt and pepper and garlic brisket probably would not score well these days, but where are actual people standing in line to eat? I think that's all they are saying.....but I could be wrong...

People are standing in line to eat what's being sold.

They'll also stand in line at People's Choice at BBQ contests.

As a total rookie to comp BBQ (did my first last year in Wildwood) there are some things I noticed right away. First, just about every team was as nice as could be. We of course forgot to bring some things and wouldn't you know it some complete strangers we met there had hooked us up with what we needed. A greater group of people I have yet to find. Second....regarding the food...I agree with the article. While that bbq wins comps, it is SO labor intensive, ingredient filled, and downright complicated to make I got exhausted just watching some of these teams cook. We just cooked what we usually make...and hoped that we would beat at least one team.
We beat a few and in my book we were winners (especially since the ribs are the same ones I sell). Look to each his own I know...but it seems to me making the food that complicated would kinda take some of the fun out of it...for me anyway. I mean it seems if you don't have a muffin pan in your arsenal you really don't have a chance of doing well....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

People are standing in line to eat what's being sold.

They'll also stand in line at People's Choice at BBQ contests.
There's pretty decent bbq sold on a whole lot of corners in Austin. If they are standing in line for hours at one guys restaurant, that's saying a lot....

Like Podge said, we cook for what the judges want just like they cook for what their customers want. If their customers started demanding competition BBQ, you could damn well bet they'd be cooking and serving that.

Like Podge said, we cook for what the judges want just like they cook for what their customers want. If their customers started demanding competition BBQ, you could damn well bet they'd be cooking and serving that.
Correct....I think that was their point in a round about fashion. At least, that's what I took from the article.

Can't speak for the Jack but the MBN contests I judge I have never gotten anything that was inedible. Some might be tough, too sweet or too hot but again everyone has their own taste preference.

Back