MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
smolderingbbq
Got Wood.

Question Marketing in the BBQ world

Hi everybody, I posted about taking my barbecue business to the next level and got some great feed back. I figured I would start a thread about marketing now that I know that it is probably the second most important thing behind fantastic food. So, here goes...

What are some different industries that we as caterers can get into, like hospitals, wedding venues etc. ?

What are the best cost effective ways to market or advertise a product (besides word of mouth) ?

Any other advice would be wonderful!

Blake
smolderingbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I'd use Facebook if you're not already. It's free and it can reach a mass amount of people instantly.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
smolderingbbq
Got Wood.

I am using facebook. Any insight in how to get more likes, other ways to promote that seem to work?

Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolderingbbq View Post
I am using facebook. Any insight in how to get more likes, other ways to promote that seem to work?
Keep your page in front of people's face. Put a status update everyday. Since you're into food, cooking and stuff maybe offer some cooking tips on bbq, side dishes, the "do's and don'ts" of things. People love pictures. Their eyes are drawn to them. Post nice looking pics of some of your dishes. Like what many do on the BBQ forum. The main thing is you have to stay at the forefront of people's minds when they think catering. Out of sight out of mind applies here.

Here, take a look at our FB page and get an idea of what I'm talking about. We keep people informed on where we're going to be, what show we're going to be in next, pics of what we cooked over the weekend etc.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...8786570?ref=hl

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Last edited by Bamabuzzard; 02-18-2013 at 03:47 PM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Smoke House Moe
On the road to being a farker

Bamabuzzard, do you get a good response at the home/garden, and outdoorsman shows? What type of booth setup do you have?
Thanks for the great info already.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke House Moe View Post
Bamabuzzard, do you get a good response at the home/garden, and outdoorsman shows? What type of booth setup do you have?
Thanks for the great info already.
We normally cover our cost and have enough money left over to pay next month's overhead. The goal of tradeshows is to get our product in the eyes, minds and mouths of the public. It's not where our "bread and butter" money will ultimately come from. Tradeshows such as hunter's expos, farmer's markets, home and garden shows etc. is another way of advertising.

We normally buy a 10x10 booth, have our booth decorated with our signs and stuff. We sample our bbq sauce with either pulled pork or smoked sausage. We've been doing tradeshows for one year. It's produced repeat customers (some are members of this board) and continues to build our brand.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
smolderingbbq
Got Wood.

Here's my fb page: https://www.facebook.com/smolderingb...becueco?ref=hl

Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

It looks like you're doing it right man. Your page looks great. Keep doing that and if you can afford it get in a few trade shows, festivals, farmers markets etc. and keep plugging along. Patience and persistence is your friend.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Marketing in the BBQ world

Would recommend joining your local business network and or rotary group. This set of groups puts you in touch with most of the business people in town and gets you additional connections and usually a favorable nod when you want to get in on the latest fair, festival, etc that is being planned. Plus you get mentioned when someone is looking of a vendor because you are a member in good standing.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
It looks like you're doing it right man. Your page looks great. Keep doing that and if you can afford it get in a few trade shows, festivals, farmers markets etc. and keep plugging along. Patience and persistence is your friend.
According to my browser your website is not secure for shopping..

If it is wrong, what controls do you have to make it secure?
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Q View Post
According to my browser your website is not secure for shopping..

If it is wrong, what controls do you have to make it secure?
According to my IT dude it is secure. In the "checkout" function, there is a locked pad image and "https" that appears in the address bar indicating secure.

I've contacted godaddy.com and it is secure and security certificate is valid and working.

Quote:
This Web site is secured with a GoDaddy.com Web Server Certificate. Transactions on the site are protected with up to 256-bit Secure Sockets Layer encryption.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Last edited by Bamabuzzard; 02-19-2013 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Additional Information

Old 02-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

The two things I know about South Carolina is 1. There are lots of BBQ places and 2. There are lots of golf courses. I would think you could bring those two things together. Try contacting some of the local golf courses to see if they may have a need for your services. Some courses only have a small deli that may serve a cold sandwich and hot dogs. Maybe they can resell your BBQ sandwiches? Just a thought.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
Spartan_Jeff
Got Wood.

I liked your Facebook page and shared your page on my timeline....can't hurt right?
Spartan_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
The two things I know about South Carolina is 1. There are lots of BBQ places and 2. There are lots of golf courses. I would think you could bring those two things together. Try contacting some of the local golf courses to see if they may have a need for your services. Some courses only have a small deli that may serve a cold sandwich and hot dogs. Maybe they can resell your BBQ sandwiches? Just a thought.

^^^^Excellent idea.

www.doubledsbbq.com
Backwoods Patio Unit

Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

This is a great thread. Thanks to all that are participating.

I created my facebook page a few years ago after taking a class.
Cynful Smokers-bbq

One thing we were told in the class (and this may have changed over the last couple of years) is that you want to create your business facebook page as if it were a person. Supposedly you can do a lot more with it, rather than just having people "like" your page.
We invite people to "events" we participate in "chats" and can reply to posts on people's "Walls"

Like I said this may have all changed since I created my page...
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote