MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #16
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like you might have made up your mind, but I still wanted to keep the thread going.

I have smoked/fried turkeys for folks for the past few years (Thanksgiving and Christmas).

Usually it is for neighbors, friends and co-workers. I don't have a commercial kitchen and my smoker isn't huge so I don't want to cook dozens and dozens.

I typically get the cheap, frozen birds and thaw them in an old fridge and/or ice chest.

Most of the birds are delivered or picked up on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning. I give folks instructions on how to re-heat the birds and always get compliments. Never been an issue with cooking them on Wednesday and eating on Thursday.

FWIW...I spatchcock my birds in the smoker.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #17
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

TN what kind of reheating in instructions did you provide? Did you slice it up for them?
Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #18
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, I'd be very careful with this. Awhile back I was practicing on my rib method and asked a few freinds at work if they wanted to buy a slab. I ended up smoking 16 racks of spares that I also had to trim/remove membrane. All this done on a weeknight! I pulled it off, delivering to the guys at work the next morning right out of the smoker. Learned my lesson for sure. If I want to make some extra money I'll stick to pulled pork by the pound. It's by far, IMO, the easiest and most profitable.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #19
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_BBQ View Post
Sounds like you might have made up your mind, but I still wanted to keep the thread going.

I have smoked/fried turkeys for folks for the past few years (Thanksgiving and Christmas).

Usually it is for neighbors, friends and co-workers. I don't have a commercial kitchen and my smoker isn't huge so I don't want to cook dozens and dozens.

I typically get the cheap, frozen birds and thaw them in an old fridge and/or ice chest.

Most of the birds are delivered or picked up on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning. I give folks instructions on how to re-heat the birds and always get compliments. Never been an issue with cooking them on Wednesday and eating on Thursday.

FWIW...I spatchcock my birds in the smoker.
Never spatched a turkey. How is it?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #20
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

I haven't done turkeys for sale, seems like it could be a lot of stress, I can't imagine having a whole bunch of birds in the cooker and possibly screwing up so many meals at once!

That said, I know that most smoked turkeys from the store or from local processors are cured in a TQ type brine and then smoked, cooled and vac'd - while the turkey comes out more hammy, moisture for reheats is not really an issue...

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #21
DerrickG
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPig View Post
That's how I do mine and have always come out better. No cavity to worry about, the bird has an even thickness to it so I think it cooks more even.
DerrickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #22
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wanna make real money during the holidays? Prime Rib. With a proven recipe, you can corner your local market. Try and get $200 for a turkey.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #23
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

That must be a dam tasty turkey. Wow/
Old 10-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #24
bam
is One Chatty Farker

We do turkeys 40 plus the price of the turkey.Got a few customers who want free range 45 dollars for the bird. So for a 15 lb bird we get 60 free range 85.
bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #25
Jeff Selle
Full Fledged Farker

I am going to do some smoked turkeys this weekend and experiment with cooling and reheating ... I have a few ideas... I'll post my research when I am finished.
*1993 & 1998 Weber Performers
*Grill Dome Kamado smoker 18-inch
*El Cheapo offset smoker (CharBroil)
*4X8-foot trailered Santa Maria Grill
*Coveting a Weber Ranch Kettle
*Yellow splash-proof Thermapen
*Member of PNWBA/KCBS/West Slope BBQ Association
Jeff Selle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #26
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-QueMaster View Post
TN what kind of reheating in instructions did you provide? Did you slice it up for them?
They get the birds intact. I do not slice em.

The idea with reheating a bird is to keep it moist. I tell them to either
1. cover w foil n put in a low oven with a little liquid
2. cover with a damp towel n microwave (my preferred method)

Lots of folks are reluctant to try the microwave method. The key is to wrap/cover in a damp towel. Works really well.

If I had a steam pan, that'd probably be even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPig View Post
Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
I haven't done turkeys for sale, seems like it could be a lot of stress, I can't imagine having a whole bunch of birds in the cooker and possibly screwing up so many meals at once!
Yes. That would suck. Just pay attention (good news is turkeys don't take but a couple (2-3) hours in the smoker). Brining helps flavor the bird and helps keep it moist (larger margin of error). Besides that, just like with REAL BBQ...most folks are so used to eating bad bird that when they get one that's halfway good they rant n rave (ain't saying I'm the stud of turkeys anymore than I'd claim to be the kind of BBQ, but I think most folks have grown accustomed to poorly prepared BBQ n turkeys and it doesn't usually take much to impress them)
Old 10-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #27
quarters69
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : quarters

TN bbq what temp do u smoke at, seems fast to get a 12 pound bird done in 2-3 hours. I was told to smoke at 220 for 1 hour a pound? Let me know what you think
quarters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #28
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post

That said, I know that most smoked turkeys from the store or from local processors are cured in a TQ type brine and then smoked, cooled and vac'd - while the turkey comes out more hammy, moisture for reheats is not really an issue...
I agree. I'm not going to put myself under that pressure for such a small profit, especially rousting up early and having to work on Thanksgiving. Just not worth it to me.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #29
Ken V
Full Fledged Farker

I smoke mine at 275 and normally take 3 1/2 to 4 1/2hours to reach temp. depending on size.
Cubby blue Thermapen
UDS
XL UDS
22.5" weber X 2
Ken V is offline   Reply With Quote