• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Have any of y'all had any experience with this type of scenario?

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
A buddy of mine and I are in talks with some local convenient stores about serving BBQ sandwiches in their store. What would happen is my partner and I would smoke the meat, make the sauce and simply sell the meat and sauce to the store for them to serve in their little "food court" in the store. We would ONLY be providing the meat and sauce. Not buns or anything else.

Does anyone have any experience on what to charge the store? It is pulled pork and bottled sauce. We would sell the meat in aluminum dishes that holds I'd say two to three gallons of meat.

Advice certainly appreciated.

Last edited:
I believe, and I stress believe, that the requirements for this type of enterprise are much stricter than the normal catering/restaurant venture.

I believe, and again I stress believe, you have to have an FDA approved kitchen instead of the normal county Health Department.

The kitchen will be no problem. But I have no idea what to charge.

I believe, and I stress believe, that the requirements for this type of enterprise are much stricter than the normal catering/restaurant venture.

I believe, and again I stress believe, you have to have an FDA approved kitchen instead of the normal county Health Department.

Really not sure. It's in its early stages and it depends on the location. We're talking to three different places. I guess I'm looking for a general price/lb which can change depending on the quantity the store buys.

How much would they be buying from you?

pork,beef,or what?

i tried the same thing but it's hard to beat the price of precooked stuff in the tub by sysco or white swan.:sad:

not to discourage you but i'd price them & see if it's worth your time & effort.

Great advice and I appreciate it. It's pulled pork. I'm not sure why these three stores hadn't already went the Sysco/White Swan avenue. I might just ask. They might want "real bbq" :wink:

pork,beef,or what?

i tried the same thing but it's hard to beat the price of precooked stuff in the tub by sysco or white swan.:sad:

not to discourage you but i'd price them & see if it's worth your time & effort.

The local shops here in N. Iowa sell packaged BBQ for $4-$5 per pound. This is for sauced meat. I myself have done some custom cooking for friends and usually charge between $5 and $7 per pound for the meat, this is meat only and no sauce. Just what I have done in the past. The best answer I can say is Know your input costs and charge accordingly. Don't give it away and don't get to greedy. If it's good and people like it it's worth the price.

Good Luck.

Well, I do know that most of the pre-packaged pulled/chopped pork/beef such as LLoyd's tastes to me as nothing more than meat cooked in an oven and bbq sauce poured on it. Down south a lot of people are very picky about their BBQ when it comes to quality.

The local shops here in N. Iowa sell packaged BBQ for $4-$5 per pound. This is for sauced meat. I myself have done some custom cooking for friends and usually charge between $5 and $7 per pound for the meat, this is meat only and no sauce. Just what I have done in the past. The best answer I can say is Know your input costs and charge accordingly. Don't give it away and don't get to greedy. If it's good and people like it it's worth the price.

Good Luck.

The kitchen will be no problem. But I have no idea what to charge.

You are extremely lucky to have access to an FDA approved kitchen. Those are hard to come by. And of course you've already started the FDA approval process for your packaging.

It's one set of rules if YOU are selling product directly to customers, it's a whole new set of rules if you are selling product to someone else to sell to customers.

It's not who you know but who knows you. It's good to have a partner that knows a lot of people...

*You are extremely lucky to have access to an FDA approved kitchen. Those are hard to come by. And of course you've already started the FDA approval process for your packaging.

It's one set of rules if YOU are selling product directly to customers, it's a whole new set of rules if you are selling product to someone else to sell to customers.

I'm no expert but I think the person with the real problem is the food court vendor. He is buying meat from an outside source for sale in his establishemnt. Now what I do know is he needs SOP's that are going into detail on buying, holding and reheating cooked food for use in his business. He needs to identify where he is buying food from and in the case of cooked meat he's going to need certain certifications from the vendor (you) in order to resell. My bet is when he investigates, this deal will fall thru. He can't just bring your meat in to sell. It's totally different if he cooks it himself.

Isn't this probably very common? As one poster above has alluded to Sysco and other "bigger outfits" sale cooked meat like this in 3# tubs that is already cooked and sauced. The place buying simply heats it up then sells it.

Also, I do know of many convenient stores with food vending that make and cook most of their menu items in house and on site. However, several items on their menu (i.e. Meat pies) are bought from the outside and simply heated up for re-sale.

I'm no expert but I think the person with the real problem is the food court vendor. He is buying meat from an outside source for sale in his establishemnt. Now what I do know is he needs SOP's that are going into detail on buying, holding and reheating cooked food for use in his business. He needs to identify where he is buying food from and in the case of cooked meat he's going to need certain certifications from the vendor (you) in order to resell. My bet is when he investigates, this deal will fall thru. He can't just bring your meat in to sell. It's totally different if he cooks it himself.

Last edited:
FDA is good but if you are not the selling meat to the end user meaning to a middle man you must have to be under USDA meat inspection. or at least have your State Agriculture Meat inspection (if you don't cross state lines). That mean a full HACCAP program and thats not worth anything. Because you will have to have your legend stamp on all meat products incase there is a problem and they need to track it back to the manufacture.

Last edited:
Well, none of it matters now. We just found out that two of the three convenient stores are shutting down their "food court" starting at the beginning of the new year. The other one is going the direction of serving a more "Mexican food" style menu and will not be offering anything in the arena of BBQ. Like we don't have enough Mexican joints around this place to begin with. :rolleyes:

Back