Lotsa Ribs for the Co-workers

likeadeere

is one Smokin' Farker
As promised, here are some of my pics from the rib luncheon that I did yesterday. You feed a group of guys pork butt, and they ALWAYS want pork ribs next! What's a guy to do. Since the butt was such a huge success, the word got out, and I committed myself to doing some ribs. And when you have the big boss involved and he loves your food, this is always an easy motivator.

I prepped the ribs at 5 in the morning, because I've heard you don't want to rub your ribs and let them sit too long in the rub. I'm good with that.

My wife picked up 2 packages of Spare ribs from Cash & Carry for $1.99/lb. Which is not horrible, but I've seen them cheaper. 2 packages is a total of 6 racks.

View attachment 58651

I trimmed them St. Louis Style

View attachment 58652

And had a lot of tips or trimmings left over. I've had a few discussions over what is better to buy. The full spare rib, or just get the St. Louis style cut, because the St. Louis style are ready to rock n roll, without all the trimmings. But after this lunch, I know which is the clear winner. Some of the guys liked the tips and trimmings MORE than the ribs. So the whole spare wins in my book.

View attachment 58653

I received a wonderful treat in the mail the other day, so I had to try out my new Simply Marvelous Cherry rub on 4 of these ribs.

View attachment 58654

And for a control, I used my usual rub.

View attachment 58655

Started the ribs at 7:30 am, outside my shop at work @ 240 degrees.

View attachment 58656

I was barely able fit all 6 of the racks on the smoker with all the trimmings. I think the guy that put 16 racks on his UDS deserves an award!

View attachment 58657
View attachment 58658

At 9:30 a, I took the ribs off the smoker, did a tribute to Johnny Trigg. With the honey, parkay, brown sugar, and more cherry rub, foiled the ribs, and stacked them back in the smoker. The trimmings, I glazed with some of my new Blues Hog bbq sauce. Which I might add is absolutely killer! It is nothing like I have ever tasted before. I want to thank Mister Bob for all the inspiration to use this sauce and this rub. They are fantastic, and I LOVE your blog. It'd be my homepage if it this wasn't a work computer!

View attachment 58659

Smoked for another hour and served.

Ok, in my butt thread, I know I promised more finish pictures. But in all honesty, this is all I have.

View attachment 58660

Pictures while I'm serving and prepping is just the last thing on my mind.

All in all, the guys loved them. I received huge raves. Even those who pre-paid skeptically, that had never had my Q, were incredibly impressed.

Now I need another Q meal to blow them further away!

Last edited:
Isn't cooking for people out work better then competition? Seriously though you always win and you get that satisfaction that you really pleased some one at work. Whether it be the boss or those who work with you or that you are in charge of.
Looks great man!

Isn't cooking for people out work better then competition? Seriously though you always win and you get that satisfaction that you really pleased some one at work. Whether it be the boss or those who work with you or that you are in charge of.
Looks great man!

You know, I've never done competition. But I imagine when you send off your Q to a judge, you never really hear if they liked it or not. Unless you win of course. So I would agree, it has been very rewarding to cook for my co-workers. And I've received 3 more orders to cook, so it's good for business too!

Looks good man! Where were these last time I was over there???

i was too busy building YOUR smoker! We'll have to get freaky this year. We'll do the same ol' fixins, wings and stuff. But maybe this year we can do some ribs too. And much more of the ABT's!

Back