MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
The Virginian
On the road to being a farker

Default Anyone doing high-direct ribs at comps?

This evening I started exploring the world of bbq'ing directly (but high) over the coals, for ribs. The rack was one of the best I have ever cooked. Took forever (I kept the temp around 215 most of the time to avoid burning the rack), but worth the wait.

Any of you brethren doing high direct for ribs at contests? How about the rest of the categories? I know the method has a long history in bbq for briskets and whole hog, but I rarely see anyone outside of a few UDS acicionados taking this approach in competition.

Brett
The Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

I have used what you describe above for my chicken. It should work for ribs too - but that seems like it would take forever as you say - but I'm all for anything that improves my stuff as long as it's permitted . . . Good question!
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

anybody without and offset.
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

I’m not sure what you feel is new there. UDS, trash cans, WSMs all are used in comps. If I’m reading your question correctly, you’re describing a vertical smoker????

Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
The Virginian
On the road to being a farker

Nearly all vertical smokers (including WSMs) use a pan to separate the fire frome the meat. One can take out the pan or other barrier (Eggs use plate setters, for example), but I do not know anyone who actually uses them that way for competition, and was hoping to get a sense of who does and what there experience is. UDS smokers are designed for high direct, but even there I do not know how many use UDS smokers for all four categories (ribs may be particularly tricky in this regard). I think there is a reason that most competitors do not cook high direct having to do with temperature control, the increased chance of having a grease fire, etc. If people have figured out how to cook high direct in competions while avoiding these problems, I just want to know what they are doing.

Bret
The Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Not addressing the direct heat (which I think works fine but guys go to fair efforts to
make certain there's no burning of the bark), but to talk about the high heat you
were referencing. The main key to great ribs is to render all the fat and leave only the
moist/tender meat. I dont think the high heat will render the fat properly, IMHO.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Did ribs on the Ranch Kettle
Smoked with fire to one side then
added a little fuel and went direct for the finish
nice caramelized sauce

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Not addressing the direct heat (which I think works fine but guys go to fair efforts to
make certain there's no burning of the bark), but to talk about the high heat you
were referencing. The main key to great ribs is to render all the fat and leave only the
moist/tender meat. I dont think the high heat will render the fat properly, IMHO.
You didn't read his post... High refers to height, not heat.
He kept his pit temp around 215°

Old 03-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

In the contests I have witnessed, folks cooking ribs on santa maria style grills (which I gather is the sort of thing you are referring to) don't tend to do as well as guys with smokers. A UDS would be similar as well, and I would imagine they fair a better.

My neighbor cooks his ribs on a santa maria style grill in his backyard. Hot and fast...cooked in about 45 mins. Fully cooked, but never "done". I like his grill, but not his barbeque.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

I have had eggs since 2003. I have never owned a plate setter. Ribs turn out great.

I'm a one man show, so I don't drag eggs to comps...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
4 smokin butts
Full Fledged Farker

we have 3 eggs mounted on our trailer {large}do our ribs on them,use plate setters,235degrees,3 sides per egg
4 smokin butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
msavard
Full Fledged Farker

Rendezvous method (Memphis Style Dry Ribs)

325 degrees @ 18" over the coals - Direct Heat - on my WSM
Takes around an hour or so for a rack of babybacks

Goooood ribs.