MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:51 AM   #1
BuffaloDave
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : David
Default Hot holding questions for event

I have a big bbq event upcoming. It's at 1 on a saturday, so I'm figuring out logistics. 250+ ppl Brisket, pork belly burnt ends, and chicken lollipops are the meats.

I'll be starting the brisket at one location friday 3 ish and hot holding, then bringing my smoker to the event where I'll finish. I figure I'll be on location about 7am. I was thinking about possible starting the burnt ends early (like 5am) just to give myself some breathing room. Would they be ok to hot hold for 3-4 hrs? I imagine if I keep them sauced they won't lose moisture, has anyone done this?

I have a couple carlisle cateraides and a cambro. Will the brisket be ok holding from 630 ish till 2? Are they gonna look like pot roast?
BuffaloDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #2
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Cook brisket the day (week before, doesn't matter), slice and transfer to vac bags then into the freezer to set the juices so you can pull vacuum. Strip the wrap then reheat it at the event in full size pans 2 hours before service.

Pork and chicken are very predictable for cooking times, concentrate on cooking and serving fresh as possible with the pork and chicken.

Never screw around holding food for hours unless you have a crew that knows what they are doing one guy doing it all with just some extra hands on deck for a backyard event has way to much going on already to safely monitor holding temps.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
BuffaloDave
Full Fledged Farker

Meh.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by InThePitBBQ View Post
Cook brisket the day (week before, doesn't matter), slice and transfer to vac bags then into the freezer to set the juices so you can pull vacuum. Strip the wrap then reheat it at the event in full size pans 2 hours before service.

Pork and chicken are very predictable for cooking times, concentrate on cooking and serving fresh as possible with the pork and chicken.

Never screw around holding food for hours unless you have a crew that knows what they are doing one guy doing it all with just some extra hands on deck for a backyard event has way to much going on already to safely monitor holding temps.
I thought you needed commercial vacuum sealers to use to sell food to the public?
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like you are biting off way more than you can chew. Last week you were asking how much food you need for 25 people and now you're trying to feed 250? Make sure you have the Domino's number saved on your phone.

Sounds like you got a new smoker a month ago and told your wife that you would sell some BBQ to help pay for it.

Do you have your permits & insurance in place yet?

Last edited by luke duke; 07-23-2019 at 07:47 PM..
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsara View Post
I thought you needed commercial vacuum sealers to use to sell food to the public?
An NSF label on the appliance is needed for code if required.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #7
BuffaloDave
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
Sounds like you are biting off way more than you can chew. Last week you were asking how much food you need for 25 people and now you're trying to feed 250? Make sure you have the Domino's number saved on your phone.

Sounds like you got a new smoker a month ago and told your wife that you would sell some BBQ to help pay for it.

Do you have your permits & insurance in place yet?
yawn
Old 07-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #8
BuffaloDave
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah it's too much risk to hold long though InthePitBBQ you're right. Gonna scrap belly burnt ends and just go brisket/pork shoulder then chicken onsite. Won't have to worry about long hold times that way. Gonna keep it simple.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #9
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDave View Post
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloDave View Post
yawn

I guess that I was right. Good luck. I hope your customers get what they paid for.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #10
BuffaloDave
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
I guess that I was right. Good luck. I hope your customers get what they paid for.
If I thought you were asking the questions you did because you were actually trying to be helpful I'd dignify it with an answer. But alas here we are. Your inference is waaaaaay off base, hopefully your bbq is better. Good day
Old 07-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #11
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by InThePitBBQ View Post
An NSF label on the appliance is needed for code if required.
You typically need a HACCP plan.

But I guess nobody cares about doing it legal anymore.
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote